Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sad. Sack
    • By Sad. Sack 28th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 172Thanks
    Sad. Sack
    How cold is Too cold?
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    How cold is Too cold? 28th Nov 17 at 4:32 PM
    Britain set to be colder than Iceland as temperatures plummet to minus 10C

On the plus side you can switch your Freezer off and keep your food outside

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/britain-to-be-colder-than-iceland-as-snow-forecast-overnight-and-temperatures-plummet-to-minus-10c-a3703271.html

A day before the official start to winter on December 1, the mercury is expected to fall as low as minus 10C in some parts.

The cold snap could make the UK cooler Iceland's capital Reykjavik, which is due to have a high of 7C.

Meanwhile, the Met Office has issued ice warnings for northern parts of Scotland overnight, with snow expected to fall on higher ground.
    I like roast potatoes, i do.
Page 1
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 28th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 6,801 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    Too cold is any temperature where you cannot get warm.

Rough sleepers, those who cannot afford much heating or food, those who have low mobility, I feel so much for them.

But those temps look seriously low just the same.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 28th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 15,018 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    I think wind blowing cold air is colder than just being cold out, if you see what I mean.

I've been swimming in naturally hot springs in the middle of winter in the Alps whilst its snowing but its lovely (hot body/cold shoulders), add a chilling wind into the mix and then suddenly not so much fun.

Minus 10c is cold, the bigger impact is on things like roads and transport, UK doesn't cope too well with snow and ice, whereas Reykjavik will take in its stride.

Its 1c where I am today, forecast for -5 during the day over next few days, but the overnight temps will be nearer -12 or -17 if windy. Has been snowing on/off for a few days now, loads more coming this week.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Champery/6day/mid
    Last edited by JasonLVC; 28-11-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 28th Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 27,996 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    The climate in Iceland is actually a lot milder than you'd expect, so being colder than Iceland isn't really such an impressive weather event.
    It's like when the papers say "UK set to hit temperatures hotter than MADRID this weekend!!" when it's winter in Madrid and Spain has had a cold snap.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 28th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 7,920 Posts
    • 8,026 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    Meanwhile, the Met Office has issued ice warnings for northern parts of Scotland overnight, with snow expected to fall on higher ground.
    Originally posted by Sad. Sack
    That was good of them - It was snowing just outside my dentist's in the West End of Aberdeen this morning!
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 28th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 6,801 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    I think the temps and climate in some parts of Western Europe are not as bad as we think because of the effects of the Gulf Stream. Occasionally yes, but in general no.

If that wasn't there it would be Canadian Winter temps all round, same kind of latitude, but Canada doesn't have the benefit of Gulf Stream. Iceland does though.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 28th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 31,037 Posts
    • 114,348 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    That was good of them - It was snowing just outside my dentist's in the West End of Aberdeen this morning!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Only outside the dentist's, and nowhere else?

I think the temps and climate in some parts of Western Europe are not as bad as we think because of the effects of the Gulf Stream. Occasionally yes, but in general no.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Yes, the difference between Cornwall and Kent can be quite marked.

And the difference, I believe, between the Western Isles and eastern Scotland.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Li0nhead
    • By Li0nhead 28th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 14,485 Posts
    • 31,512 Thanks
    Li0nhead
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    I just put on the heating.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    Walking to the shops yesterday, i was freezy freezy cold. I had a scarf and my woolie hat on, but my hands were perished.
    Must remember to search for my gloves before going out again.
    Update:
    I've been upstairs looking, got 2pr of fingerless gloves, and 3 odd gloves (all for the same hand)
    Last edited by SamsReturn; 28-11-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 28th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 9,581 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    As a wise man once said "there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes"
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 3189.5
    This week 56.1
    • Judi
    • By Judi 28th Nov 17, 8:59 PM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 63,793 Thanks
    Judi
    Now is too cold. Im wrapped up like an eskimo. Heating on full and im still cold.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 28th Nov 17, 10:50 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 4,626 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Too cold is needing to put the heating on.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 28th Nov 17, 11:12 PM
    • 113,637 Posts
    • 232,068 Thanks
    Quasar
    The climate in Iceland is actually a lot milder than you'd expect, so being colder than Iceland isn't really such an impressive weather event.
    It's like when the papers say "UK set to hit temperatures hotter than MADRID this weekend!!" when it's winter in Madrid and Spain has had a cold snap.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Madrid is in the northern emisphere like us so it it summer in Spain and in the UK at the same time, and being hotter than Madrid here does mean something.

However, a few summers ago one tabloid raved about it being hotter than in Brazil that particular day. Of course what it failed to mention (assumed any of its hacks even knew), was that as Brazil is in the souther emisphere, when it is summer over here it is winter over there.
    After all, cellulite is just a packet of crisps that made it.
    • Topcat123
    • By Topcat123 28th Nov 17, 11:17 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Topcat123
    The coldest predicted in the pipeline here is 3C (max ) On Thursdays dropping to 0C over night, hardly the end of the world. In fact I have just been out and it was about 2C and I didn't think it was particularly cold.
    I'd say it was relatively warm really.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 29th Nov 17, 1:12 AM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Madrid is in the northern emisphere like us so it it summer in Spain and in the UK at the same time, and being hotter than Madrid here does mean something.

However, a few summers ago one tabloid raved about it being hotter than in Brazil that particular day. Of course what it failed to mention (assumed any of its hacks even knew), was that as Brazil is in the souther emisphere, when it is summer over here it is winter over there.
    Originally posted by Quasar
    Hi Kwayze , pedant alert is your keyboard missing a beat ? Oh... not all the time since the H in HemispHere still works in the middle , just at the beginning of words

Anyway ow are you I ope you are appy and ope you ave a appy christmas or do I mean cristmas
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 29th Nov 17, 2:23 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 6,783 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Walking to the shops yesterday, i was freezy freezy cold. I had a scarf and my woolie hat on, but my hands were perished.
    Must remember to search for my gloves before going out again.
    Update:
    I've been upstairs looking, got 2pr of fingerless gloves, and 3 odd gloves (all for the same hand)
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I have one odd glove, ladies size 7 in black leather. Any good to you
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 29th Nov 17, 2:26 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 6,783 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We drove over Dartmoor a few days ago. There was a sprinkling of snow that hadn’t melted near Princetown (where the prison is). Some enterprising person had scraped together enough snow to make 2 miniature snowmen. It was lovely, that “Christmas is nearly here”
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 5:50 AM
    • 31,037 Posts
    • 114,348 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hi Kwayze , pedant alert is your keyboard missing a beat ? Oh... not all the time since the H in HemispHere still works in the middle , just at the beginning of words

Anyway ow are you I ope you are appy and ope you ave a appy christmas or do I mean cristmas
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Hemisphere starts with an e in Italian, so Q was probably inadvertently reverting to type.

(No need to mention the ph/f switch, though, Q! Or the terminal e/o switch! )
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Susie Richards
    • By Susie Richards 29th Nov 17, 6:57 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Susie Richards
    How cold is Too cold?

When ones running nose freezes
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 7:09 AM
    • 60,962 Posts
    • 356,074 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's 13C here indoors, according to my digital thermometer which is beside me and benefitting from the warming effect of the PC fan.

Years ago it used to be so much colder than these days. You used to have to lag pipes - and there were icicles every winter - and windows had thick ice on the inside.

It is cold, yes, but I have a blanket over me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter