Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TexasBliffEm
    • By TexasBliffEm 28th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TexasBliffEm
    Work done - no bill received
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    Work done - no bill received 28th Nov 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hi all,

Had some work done on house I just bought. Been about a 1.5months since it was done... Not had a bill sent through yet?
    I had to pester the life out of them to get updates on the work etc so don't feel the need to hassle them to pay them even though I've got the money sitting there...
Page 2
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 10:05 AM
    • 14,266 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I agree with Contessa that it's fair to bear in mind the cashflow situation of many small businesses - and pay them promptly anyway. If I've checked the work is okay (which may be debatable sometimes....but let's assume it is for the sake of argument) = I'll ask for the bill on the spot (if its not presented to me) and pay them on the spot before they even walk out the door.

Actually I regard it as enlightened self-interest to do so too. It's off my plate and I can forget about it and "get on with My Life" and no-one can say I'm not a prompt payer - because I am. It "keeps the road open" if I want them back again for another job - as they remember I paid them promptly for the first job.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 29th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 4,120 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Clearly London is in a different universe for bills as well as house prices. When I've had workmen in, they've brought their point of sale machines with them ...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 14,266 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Clearly London is in a different universe for bills as well as house prices. When I've had workmen in, they've brought their point of sale machines with them ...
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    If I worked in London - I'd have a "point of sale machine" with me at all times too.

Here - there are still the odd (static) businesses that won't even take money except as cash or cheques. I've had some very bemused looking tradespeople when I've asked a couple of them before "Debit card or cheque?" - they clearly don't want to have such machines.

Though I know that, back in my home city, it had to be either cash or cheque for my hairdresser and my "little man wot deals with the plumbing for me".

Personally - I don't care what way they want paying personally and go along with it. But I DO wish they'd operate the way I'm used to as regards choosing them - ie I arrange for 3 firms to come in and quote/they all turn up/they all quote/the one I choose turns up and does the job. It would be lovely to have "reliability" again....sighs..
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 29-11-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

602Posts Today

4,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin