Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TexasBliffEm
    • By TexasBliffEm 28th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TexasBliffEm
    Work done - no bill received
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    Work done - no bill received 28th Nov 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hi all,

Had some work done on house I just bought. Been about a 1.5months since it was done... Not had a bill sent through yet?
    I had to pester the life out of them to get updates on the work etc so don't feel the need to hassle them to pay them even though I've got the money sitting there...
Page 1
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 28th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    Not sure what advice you're looking for?
    They did the work, you know you need to pay for it. They might be slow at sending bills out but sooner or later they're going to realise you haven't paid and come after you for the money, you might as well contact them about it now rather than drag it out.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 28th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    you might as well contact them about it now rather than drag it out.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Why? I wouldn't. Why waste their time chasing it? Just pay the bill when it arrives.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    Well, as long as you don't spend it in the meantime, I wouldn't be too proactive about chasing.

But you still owe it to them and the lack of an immediate invoice doesn't alter this - you'd be surprised (or perhaps not) how many people seem to think otherwise...!
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 28th Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    • 9,115 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    Did you get a written quote for the work?

Was is a small job (eg £25) or large (eg £163,459 extension)?

What, if anything, have you paid? How did you pay (please don't tell us cash so no VaT..).

Are you happy with the work done?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 23,684 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    Perhaps you are now living in the country?

Where I live, out in the sticks, 6 weeks is no time to wait for a bill. After 3 months or so, one might begin to wonder, but I wouldn't be concerned till 6 months has gone by.

The longest I've waited for is 2 years. The bill finally arrived in the week before Christmas, but in fairness, I was told not to worry about paying it quickly if money was tight.

A friend has done better than me. She had some built-in cupboards made. The carpenter said he needed to construct the doors in his workshop, so she expected that might take a week or two. That was over 5 years ago. The carpenter passes-by regularly and waves from his van, but no doors or bill have materialised.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 14,227 Posts
    • 38,544 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    Where I am now I've heard tell that, in the past, bills were sometimes not presented for weeks, even months. I think there might be a bit of it going on somewhere occasionally still here...don't think the practice has entirely died out yet??

I've always been given bills by the tradespeople here promptly (though don't know if that's because it's felt there is always a risk with incomers that we will "move back whence we came"??).

So they present them promptly and I pay them promptly (which is one aspect at any rate that's the same as I'm used to).

Don't worry about it - just keep the money for it to one side - or shove a cheque for it through their door.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Gers
    • By Gers 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 5,958 Posts
    • 35,531 Thanks
    Gers
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    The bill for some parts of the renovation of this place only arrived after two years! After six months I gave up chasing the chap and only mentioned it to him when we met in passing as he lives locally. Seems heís known for this. Eventually the bill came and I paid promptly.

Think itís a rural thing, though I still havenít received the invoice for my new will made six months ago. Must chase that one!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 42,299 Posts
    • 49,141 Thanks
    G_M
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    The contractor has 7 years to bill you. After that he can't (well, he can but you needn't pay).

Put the money aside and wait.

Or snd a cheque now.

Or ring/email him.

Up to you.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 28th Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,391 Thanks
    Contessa
    I knew someone who had a small building/repair firm in a rural-coastal area. He had a reputation as an honest and very competent builder with a solid and loyal customer base.

I remember him telling me that the "little old ladies" were the best customers-small jobs with little profit earned but they always paid immediately. Whereas rich incomers, local dignitaries and the MP were very, very slow to pay even though they could well afford to.

I've never forgotten this so always pay a small independent trader promptly as I know their margins are small.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 28th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    If the bill may directly affect an individual paying their mortgage, get it sorted. If it is going to get lost in pre tax profits and finance departments...let them bloody chase for it!
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 28th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    Our plumber usually waits 3 months before billing to ensure that there are no issues with the work carried out and if there are they can be sorted before the bill arrives. At the other extreme my sparky sends his bill that day by email. I've got no issue with either way of doing it.

As already said, stick the money to one side and pay when the bill arrIves. If it doesn't turn up for (say) 6 months and you feel you want to ensure you do pay and feel morally in the right, make contact and politely point out you're still waiting on your bill...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 29th Nov 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    We've had an army of trades marching through this house in the last 4 years, doing a variety of work from £10 quick fixes to a £7000 + VAT rewire.

I always pay promptly (and send a quick reminder text if I haven't had the bill) - and I never have any trouble getting them to come back and do more work at short notice when I need them. Just saying.

I would imagine that he's busy, that the business side of being a tradesperson isn't his forte, and he would be grateful for a friendly reminder.

There's no need for what sounds like vindictiveness - if you weren't happy with him you should have paid him off and got someone else in. Now that he's done the job, you need to do your side of the deal.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Can people bear in mind that not everyone needs to "put money aside" for every bill? Yes, it's good advice if you are struggling, but why assume that this bill isn't a drop in the ocean for the OP and he can pay it any time, any day of the week, any time of the year without noticing. I don't put money aside if I have a bill for a few thousand coming up.

So I wouldn't chase him, I wouldn't care if he sends the bill tomorrow, next month or never. When he sends it, I will pay it.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 29-11-2017 at 9:38 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I knew someone who had a small building/repair firm in a rural-coastal area. He had a reputation as an honest and very competent builder with a solid and loyal customer base.

I remember him telling me that the "little old ladies" were the best customers-small jobs with little profit earned but they always paid immediately. Whereas rich incomers, local dignitaries and the MP were very, very slow to pay even though they could well afford to.

I've never forgotten this so always pay a small independent trader promptly as I know their margins are small.
    Originally posted by Contessa
    What, pay them before they actually bill you? That's ridiculous.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    There's no need for what sounds like vindictiveness - if you weren't happy with him you should have paid him off and got someone else in. Now that he's done the job, you need to do your side of the deal.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    He will pay him....when he sends the bill. That's not vindictive. That's not even "business". That's just the way it works.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    If the bill may directly affect an individual paying their mortgage, get it sorted. If it is going to get lost in pre tax profits and finance departments...let them bloody chase for it!
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    If it is so important to the guy's mortgage all he has to do is send the bloody bill.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:39 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Did you get a written quote for the work?

Was is a small job (eg £25) or large (eg £163,459 extension)?

What, if anything, have you paid? How did you pay (please don't tell us cash so no VaT..).

Are you happy with the work done?
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    What's this got to do with anything? They guy hasn't sent the bill. He's happy to pay the bill when it arrives.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Nov 17, 9:42 AM
    • 23,684 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What, pay them before they actually bill you? That's ridiculous.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes, it would be ridiculous, but no one suggested that.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes, it would be ridiculous, but no one suggested that.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    That's what the thread is about. You can't "pay them promptly" until the bill arrives...which is what the OP is waiting for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter