Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LiveOnce
    • By LiveOnce 28th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 449Posts
    • 181Thanks
    LiveOnce
    Will I need a new tyre? Accidentally parked car with half-tyre on the kerb.
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    Will I need a new tyre? Accidentally parked car with half-tyre on the kerb. 28th Nov 17 at 3:18 PM
    Hello all,

Couple of evenings ago I accidentally parked my car where the rear tyre was half parked on the kerb.

It was like that all night until the morning where I adjusted it and parked properly.

This morning when I was checking the tyre pressure that tyre hard 10PSI.

Normally the tyre pressure would be 32 PSI.

I re-pumped the tyre, and it looked like there was no obvious damage.

Will I need to get that tyre replaced?

Lesson learned to check every time I park how it is parked. Normally I don't make this type of mistake
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 10,300 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    Parking on the edge of a kerb on it's own won't deflate your tyre, not unless there's an issue with your wheel, ie, possibly being a bit buckled. How often do you normally check your tyres?

Just keep an eye on the pressure of that tyre for now.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    It almost certainly had 10psi in before you parked like that - when did you last check it? Whether the tyre is fine or not depends on where the air went.
    • LiveOnce
    • By LiveOnce 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    LiveOnce
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    I checked it about 3 months ago and it was OK then.

Normally I do checks before long distance drives (e.g. above 80 miles single trip).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    I checked it about 3 months ago and it was OK then.
    Originally posted by LiveOnce
    <boggle> OK...
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 28th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:45 PM

Normally I don't make this type of mistake
    But you do make this one ...

"I checked it about 3 months ago and it was OK then.

Normally I do checks before long distance drives (e.g. above 80 miles single trip). "
    • nortong
    • By nortong 28th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    nortong
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    I checked it about 3 months ago
    King Ell!
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 28th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    ideally you should check every week (me sunday) this is my routine

1. Make hot coffee
    2. Go out check oil (top up if needed)
    3. check anti freeze (top up if needed)
    4. check screen wash (top up if needed)
    5. check other levels (same as above)
    6. check all 4 tyres with psi reader (add more air if needed)

7. Go back in and enjoy your coffee thats cooled down lol

ps: i know someone who was driving around with 2 bold tyres and 3 months out of mot and yet they complain when the car breaks down erm... ok
    Last edited by ratrace; 28-11-2017 at 3:54 PM.
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • LiveOnce
    • By LiveOnce 28th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    LiveOnce
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    D'oh!

Thank you for telling me.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    D'oh!

Thank you for telling me.
    If you passed your driving test in the last decade and a half, you really ought to remember this from the "show me, tell me" section of the test... It'll also be in the car's handbook.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 28th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,058 Thanks
    pogofish
    <boggle> OK...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    This..!
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 28th Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    To be fair to the OP I have friends who think the tyre pressures are something they do on the annual service! I wish I was kidding. So 3 months is probably regular by comparisson to the average joe.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 28th Nov 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    I don't check them every week like I should, but I do check them at minimum once a fortnight. I am currently doing too much driving to be let down by something within my control.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 28th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    chrisw
    Everyone knows what you're supposed to do but to be fair, I never check mine and I suspect most people don't either. I've never seen anyone in my street out there checking their tyres.

A quick glance round now and again to see how the tread's going and whether they look a bit soft and it's job done unless the TPMS flags a fault.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 28th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Also, don't check them if they have been in the sun for any length of time. I didn't realise what a difference it made to the pressure until last year, so I had been incorrectly inflating my tyres for years (well, the 2 that are in the sun when it's sunny)
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 28th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Everyone knows what you're supposed to do but to be fair, I never check mine and I suspect most people don't either. I've never seen anyone in my street out there checking their tyres.

A quick glance round now and again to see how the tread's going and whether they look a bit soft and it's job done unless the TPMS flags a fault.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    Never? You should check at least once a month. The TPMS warning isn't a substitute for checking tyre pressures.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 28th Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 9,603 Posts
    • 7,007 Thanks
    Crabman
    Now that the incompetent clowns Highways England have abolished the hard shoulder on the local motorway, I visually check all tyres by walking around the car before each journey.

There have been several deaths and serious injuries caused by "all lane running" implementation due to vehicles in lane 1 (which used to be the hard shoulder) colliding at motorway speeds into broken down vehicles.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• James_N
    • By James_N 29th Nov 17, 8:32 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    ideally you should check every week (me sunday) this is my routine

1. Make hot coffee
    2. Go out check oil (top up if needed)
    3. check anti freeze (top up if needed)
    4. check screen wash (top up if needed)
    5. check other levels (same as above)
    6. check all 4 tyres with psi reader (add more air if needed)

7. Go back in and enjoy your coffee thats cooled down lol

ps: i know someone who was driving around with 2 bold tyres and 3 months out of mot and yet they complain when the car breaks down erm... ok
    Originally posted by ratrace
    You forgot:
    8: Polish halo
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 29th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    You should be able to do a visual check, notice how the car is manovering or maybe if mpg is decreasing....
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 29th Nov 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Back to the original post. It is highly unlikely that simply parking half on and off the kerb will cause the tyre to leak, however, I guess that a hard strike at the right angle could temporarily break the seal and cause a problem, though I am struggling to convince myself that it could re-seat itself afterwards.

A couple of causes are that a tyre may be slowly losing pressure and what does happen is that once they get below a certain pressure they lose their shape and are more likely to not be well sealed and the pressure drops more quickly.

Most likely the tyre has a slow puncture, or a poor rim seal (corrosion on alloys can cause problems) and the tyre has been going down for a while and the kerbing has simply made you look - a coincidence). Tyres get a real hammering along a typical road surface (think of the forces involved in hitting a poor bit of road surface on the motorway at 70mph, or cornering on an A road where the car is near the limit of grip) and then consider the forces of simply riding up a kerb and sitting there, you'd have to be looking at a high kerb hit fast to really cause problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin