Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 28th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 7Thanks
    civil12345
    Connecting 2 TVs through 1 aerial
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    Connecting 2 TVs through 1 aerial 28th Nov 17 at 2:48 PM
    Hi, mother has a TV in the living room of her flat through a standard aerial socket in the wall. I've got her a little TV for her bedroom but I don't know how to connect it to the aerial. I bought this but the connectors are wrong:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1083514

How can I do this? The aerial is like this

The back of the TVs is like this

As you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm doing. Help! Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    If she's in a decent coverage area would a small TV indoor aerial work? Saves having trailing wires everywhere.
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 28th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    civil12345
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    Hi Colin

Tried that with the main TV when she moved in and didn't work (tried the indoor aerial with the new TV today and didn't work either). Others in the building have the same issue.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 3:17 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:17 PM
    Hi, mother has a TV in the living room of her flat through a standard aerial socket in the wall. I've got her a little TV for her bedroom but I don't know how to connect it to the aerial. I bought this but the connectors are wrong:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1083514

How can I do this? The aerial is like this

The back of the TVs is like this

As you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm doing. Help! Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by civil12345
    You will need to change the sex of the input to the splitter with one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Aerial-Cable-Coupler-Adapter-Femal-to-Femal-Joiner-RF-Coaxial-Coax-Barrel/152585664044?hash=item2386d0762c:g:Io8AAOSwOMdZQXQ V

This will then connect the splitter to your socket on the wall. You will need a new cable from the splitter to the existing TV. One of these will do

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-Metre-1-5M-Black-RF-TV-Aerial-Lead-Cable-Male-to-Male-Coax-Coaxial-1M/400652463447?hash=item5d48bf6d57:g:qbAAAMXQVERS4p5 ~

You will also need another cable the same to connect the socket on the end of the extension cable to your bedroom TV.

Hope that's clear.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Nov 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi Colin

Tried that with the main TV when she moved in and didn't work (tried the indoor aerial with the new TV today and didn't work either). Others in the building have the same issue.
    From what I can see of the kit from Argos I think you've got everything you need.

The Y piece plugs into the wall socket using the female to female connector that's shown in the 3rd picture, the big TV will plug straight into the Y piece using the existing cable and you'll need to make a long fly lead out of the cable and the 2 male connectors to plug in the small TV in the bedroom.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    You will need to change the sex of the input to the splitter with one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Aerial-Cable-Coupler-Adapter-Femal-to-Femal-Joiner-RF-Coaxial-Coax-Barrel/152585664044?hash=item2386d0762c:g:Io8AAOSwOMdZQXQ V

This will then connect the splitter to your socket on the wall. You will need a new cable from the splitter to the existing TV. One of these will do

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-Metre-1-5M-Black-RF-TV-Aerial-Lead-Cable-Male-to-Male-Coax-Coaxial-1M/400652463447?hash=item5d48bf6d57:g:qbAAAMXQVERS4p5 ~

You will also need another cable the same to connect the socket on the end of the extension cable to your bedroom TV.

Hope that's clear.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    You just beat me, but I think they've got all of that already.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    From what I can see of the kit from Argos I think you've got everything you need.

The Y piece plugs into the wall socket using the female to female connector that's shown in the 3rd picture, the big TV will plug straight into the Y piece using the existing cable and you'll need to make a long fly lead out of the cable and the 2 male connectors to plug in the small TV in the bedroom.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Except that's not a female connector!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    Except that's not a female connector!
    Originally posted by Mister G
    The 3rd picture shows a female to female pass through adaptor.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    The wall socket is part of a Communal aerial system - if others complain they cannot get it to work, it may be faulty or unpowered in the attic. Before spending more money, you need to establish whether the communal system is connected to something useful.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    The 3rd picture shows a female to female pass through adaptor.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Ah! Missed the third Argos picture.

I think that they are still going to be short of male coax plugs.

The existing cable to the main TV will now have the wrong sex connector for the new splitter.

They could, of course, just use one of these on it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-TV-Aerial-Cable-Coupler-Adapter-Male-to-Plug-Joiner-RF-Coaxial-Coax-Barrel/332417830778?epid=1410860647&hash=item4d65a58f7a:g :SeUAAOxyx-BSb297
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    The wall socket is part of a Communal aerial system - if others complain they cannot get it to work, it may be faulty or unpowered in the attic. Before spending more money, you need to establish whether the communal system is connected to something useful.
    Originally posted by Buzby
    I think that the OP said that the main TV plugged into the socket shown works OK.

The only issue could be if the signal is insufficient to stand splitting.
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 28th Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    civil12345
    Hi all, thanks for the responses! I'm a bit confused. Do I have what I need or do I need to buy the extra things?

The wall socket is fine it seems like the signal is good. When we tried little indoor aerials that didn't work.
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 28th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    civil12345
    ...and just had a look at the kit again it doesn't include the extra bit (female to female connector?) that's in the 3rd pic.

Am I better off taking the kit back and starting again? Just want to be able to do this as cheaply and easily as possible!
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    ...and just had a look at the kit again it doesn't include the extra bit (female to female connector?) that's in the 3rd pic.

Am I better off taking the kit back and starting again? Just want to be able to do this as cheaply and easily as possible!
    You are going to need the female/female adaptor to connect the splitter to the existing wall socket. So you can either take the whole kit back and get another one (checking that the adaptor is in there!) or just buy the additional one as I suggested earlier.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Bl**dy Argos

It's possible that the radio output on the wall is connected to the TV aerial rather than a separate radio antenna.

You could try plugging her existing lead from the TV into the socket although you'd need a lead with 2 male connectors to do that.

If it is you can still use the Argos kit by plugging the Y piece into the radio output and then 2 fly leads with all male sockets would connect both TV's.

There's no electricity involved so you can't break anything.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    The Radio output will be filtered for the radio frequencies (VHF/DAB), so may not have any/much UHF TV content on it.
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 1st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    civil12345
    Hi guys, just coming back to this. Still confused. Radio output doesn't work. Should I take the kit back to Argos as it doesn't contain that extra bit? If I'm starting again what do I need to buy? Can I get a splitter with the different connectors to make it simpler?
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    civil12345
    Any more thoughts on this please?
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 3rd Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    all you need for £5:00 https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tvfm-extension-kit-15m-tb76h
    GONE ENGLAND
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 3rd Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    Originally posted by dobbiesloan
    Perhaps you need to look at the reviews.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

My original suggestion of just buying the female/female connector separately (if it really doesn't come in the Argos kit), then this will do the job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter