Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 28th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 19,725Posts
    • 31,892Thanks
    Spendless
    American and student finance
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    American and student finance 28th Nov 17 at 2:25 PM
    Hi, wonder if someone can help. I'm asking on behalf of my son's friend.

My son is in his 2nd year at an FE college studying a BTEC extended diploma. His friend on the same course is American born to an English mother, nationality of father I'm not certain. He doesn't live with either parent, neither of them live in the UK and is living with his English Grandparents having come over to England from America last year. I'm unsure of month he arrived but it would be prior to mid Sept 2016. The time has come for them to apply for Uni, but American friend doesn't meet the length of residency to apply for a student loan. He thinks his only alternative is to return to the states to study. Having had a quick look, I've read that if he is resident in the U.K for 3 years he should be able to apply, but I'm unsure of all details he'd need. Can anyone either help or at least suggest somewhere he could go and ask about it further. Lad was 18 earlier this year, will be 19 as the FE course finishes and has been studying in England since Sept 2016, he also works p-time in a McD type job. Not sure if any of this is relevant but including it just in case it is.

TIA.
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 11,728 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    Firstly, does the 'American' friend hold a British passport? If not, he will be subject to immigration control meaning that he is not allowed to work here and would require a student visa in order to study.

Secondly, yes, three years residence is needed to be eligible for a student loan. If he has British nationality then he could simply find some kind of gap-year job until the three years is up and then apply. Or he could finance his studies here in the same way that he would if he went to the USA (I very much doubt whether he would be eligible for a US student loan).
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 28th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 19,725 Posts
    • 31,892 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    Thanks for the reply. He's already working here part-time in a national chain of high street fast food type place and it isn't the first job he's had, so though I don't personally know about his passport, he is able to work in this country.

Is the 3 years of residency consecutive years and just prior to the degree starting? He has lived in England at various times during his life, though I don't have details of when and for how long each time.

'financing his studies in the same way as if he studied in the U.S'

Is that paying his fees upfront? I doubt he aged 18 with a part-time Mcburger sort of job or the retired grandparents he lives with, would have that sort of money. I think he's referred to having to go back to the states to study as the only option he'll have (not sure he's even thought through how he'd fund there) whereas I think it might be a possibility for him to remain, but need to delay applying for at least a year.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    Information here
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Your nationality or residency status
    You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
    you normally live in England
    you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

refugee
    humanitarian protection
    EEA migrant worker
    child of a Swiss national
    child of a Turkish worker

You may also be eligible if you’re not a UK national and are either:

from an EU country
    under 18 and have lived in the UK for at least 7 years
    18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 28th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 19,725 Posts
    • 31,892 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    Cheers, I don't know enough detail about him to know whether he'd qualify under 'over 18, lived in UK, at least half his life' otherwise it sounds to me he'd have to be living here from 31st August 2016 to definitely qualify for funding from Sept 1st 2019. Where would he need to contact to go into this further detail with about if/when he qualifies for a student loan?
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    The regulation you mention here is only applicable to students with an EU nationality other than British so, from what you say, this wouldn't apply.

Cheers, I don't know enough detail about him to know whether he'd qualify under 'over 18, lived in UK, at least half his life' otherwise it sounds to me he'd have to be living here from 31st August 2016 to definitely qualify for funding from Sept 1st 2019. Where would he need to contact to go into this further detail with about if/when he qualifies for a student loan?
    Originally posted by Spendless
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 19,725 Posts
    • 31,892 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    The regulation you mention here is only applicable to students with an EU nationality other than British so, from what you say, this wouldn't apply.
    Originally posted by Starrystarrynight1
    Ahh right, missed that, thanks. So really his only option is to apply for September 2019 entry by which time he's been living here for 3 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter