Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spoonhead88
    • By Spoonhead88 28th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 96Posts
    • 117Thanks
    Spoonhead88
    Draught/Draft finding.
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    Draught/Draft finding. 28th Nov 17 at 11:56 AM
    So I live in a 1930s through terrace house. My bedroom is in the loft in a dormered sw facing room and their is a big draught and he room s noticeable colder than the rest of the house. Any tips on finding where it's coming from? I tried using a lighter but couldn't find anything? The room has double glazing and few months back we had the free loft spray installation. So I have little white doors on a couple of the walls? Should I just get some expanding foam and fill any holes I find? Run some silicone across the skirting boards? The windows and some walls feel cold to the touch but can't feel the draught coming from them.

DMP - JAN 2016
    Estimated DFD - August 2018 December 2016
    100% Paid
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 28th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    Its cold outside, do you know there is a draught, or might it just be a lower standard of insulation with not enough heating?

You do need ventilation. How much ceiling insulation?

• DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 28th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    A candle. Flame will wick in draft. If you blow it out, it'll smoke nicely for a while. You can leave it standing away from your draft shadow, and you don't need to hold it down all the time.

It might just be falling cold air. Amazon sell cheap infra red distance thermometers @£15 ish...
    • tony6403
    • By tony6403 29th Nov 17, 12:12 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    tony6403
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:12 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:12 AM
    As this one seems to crop up repeatedly , unless we're talking about ale , a draught is a cool current of air.
    A draft is a preparatory piece of writing.
    Forgotten but not gone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin