Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bramallchic
    • By bramallchic 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bramallchic
    0 WOW
    Can hotel change price after booking?
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    0 WOW
    Can hotel change price after booking? 28th Nov 17 at 11:53 AM
    I have recently booked a holiday for myself and two friends August 2018, for one week. The total price of this booking cost us 754.60 euros altogether. We pay this on arrival.

Two weeks after booking, the hotel emailed me saying that the price is incorrect and has been changed to 3,318.10 euros. Is this allowed?
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 28th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Westin
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    How and where did you book?

Have you looked at their T&C's to see if they cover themselves for errors and mistakes?

I have to say that I think two weeks is a long time for them to report to you that an error was found. I would expect any pricing error to picked up by the hotel/agency much quicker than that.
    • bramallchic
    • By bramallchic 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bramallchic
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    I booked on the official website. I can confirm expedia and the official website had the same price on the day I booked.

The terms and conditions are all in Spanish. I have translated it - here is what one paragraph says;
    "Ebano Select Apartments, for its part, reserves the right to cancel reservations that have been made at error rates without any prejudice. (Only error rates can be considered at a price 60% lower than the market price in Playa d'en Bossa in one specific date.)."

Surely this cannot be right. It is false advertisement.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 28th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,784 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    What is the market rate in the resort at the time?

Rescission for mistake is a concept common to many jurisdictions, I expect it would apply in Spain.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 28th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    blindman
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    I booked on the official website. I can confirm expedia and the official website had the same price on the day I booked.

The terms and conditions are all in Spanish. I have translated it - here is what one paragraph says;
    "Ebano Select Apartments, for its part, reserves the right to cancel reservations that have been made at error rates without any prejudice. (Only error rates can be considered at a price 60% lower than the market price in Playa d'en Bossa in one specific date.)."

Originally posted by bramallchic
    Also as you have not actually paid yet-(Check you CC statement though as sometimes sites do take and early payment) then there is no contract so you may be out of luck here.

Have you booked flights so are out of pocket?

You could come to some sort of agreement with the hotel to see if they discount the price?
    • bramallchic
    • By bramallchic 28th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bramallchic
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    No payment has been made. Yes flights and transfers are booked - we cannot change the dates.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    You took a chance on an obviously incorrect rate and the hotel realized the mistake. Time to move on and look for another hotel.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 28th Nov 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:07 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:07 PM
    You took a chance on an obviously incorrect rate and the hotel realized the mistake. Time to move on and look for another hotel.
    Originally posted by jpsartre

Obviously incorrect?
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 28th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    swingaloo
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    Luckily you haven't paid so haven't lost anything. The apartments do look lovely and whilst the rate you thought you were paying was ridiculously low for August the correct price is ridiculously high.

For £3000 I would want an all inclusive plus flight deal.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Obviously incorrect?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Yes, obviously. The OP paid less than 25% of the actual rate.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 28th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Yes, obviously. The OP paid less than 25% of the actual rate.
    Originally posted by jpsartre

Which he now knows, after the event, 3 sites apparently had the price as what he paid, 700 odd euros isn't abnormally cheap for a weeks accommodation. (Haven't see the hotel obviously) claiming it was obvious with the limited information here isn't really fair
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Whether the OP suspected or not at the time of booking, my advice about moving on still stands.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 28th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Where is that website based?

We can argue as to whether the price displayed was an "obvious error", but it would only be useful to have that argument in a court room. The physical location of the business that operates the website would determine whether the relevant court would be in the UK, Spain, or somewhere else.

Anyway, this incident has not cost you anything and you have plenty of time to look for another place to stay that fits in with the flights you have booked.
    • bramallchic
    • By bramallchic 28th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bramallchic
    Where is that website based?

Originally posted by Voyager2002

Website is based - Ibiza, Spain.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 28th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    €756 for 3 people in peak season in a 4 key adult only resort? Obviously very wrong, but you take a chance when booking when an error is obvious. It's no different to booking an error fare with an airline. If it looks to good to be true it usually is. Expedia would have the same price if the accommodation had loaded the wrong price on there as well, but they wouldn't show the same price because Expedia price in GBP not Euros.

You've not paid anything and there is nothing you can do about it apart from cancel and look for some other accommodation.

It's a Spanish company and the governing law is Spanish.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 28th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Westin
    I think their T&C’s may well cover any error, or at least it will be difficult to realistically challenge without a strong desire to engage the Balearic legal system and to spend a heap of loose change in a quest for justice.

You might be able to negotiate an improved rate to the new one being offered or an upgrade, or resort credits with the property management. I would suggest raising the point that it took two weeks for you to be notified of the mistake and that you have now booked flights and other ground arrangements. Worth a try at least. Stay polite but firmly raise your points and what you would like.

If no joy, time to move on and book elsewhere, or suck up the higher rate.

If still grating on you and you have time on your hands I guess you could also write to the local tourism office and point out the issue of the hotelier being slow to correct the error rate.
    • photome
    • By photome 29th Nov 17, 7:03 AM
    • 12,816 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    photome
    I think you knew it was a pricing mistake, but took a chance, they have noticed.

the cheapest price for a week in Aug anywhere else is double what you paid

either accept the new amount, ask for a reduction or cancel and book elsewhere
    Last edited by photome; 29-11-2017 at 7:32 AM.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 29th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    You might want to contact the Spanish Tourist Office.

http://www.spain.info/en_GB/informacion-practica/oficinas-turismo-embajadas/turismo-exterior/oficina_de_turismo_en_londres.html

Years ago I had an issue with a travel agent in Spain and discovered that hotels and suchlike must keep an official complaints book on the premises.

These establishments don't advertise this to tourists, and don't like it to become known and a grievance raised.

At least they can advise you on the legality of the price increase.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    You might want to contact the Spanish Tourist Office.

http://www.spain.info/en_GB/informacion-practica/oficinas-turismo-embajadas/turismo-exterior/oficina_de_turismo_en_londres.html

Years ago I had an issue with a travel agent in Spain and discovered that hotels and suchlike must keep an official complaints book on the premises.

These establishments don't advertise this to tourists, and don't like it to become known and a grievance raised.

At least they can advise you on the legality of the price increase.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    By law all Spanish businesses have to have a Libro de Reclamaciones.

How you make a complaint about something that was obviously wrong at the time you 'purchased' it I don't know. The hotels legal notice on their website tells you that obvious errors are not binding, and in the OPs case the error was glaring. Less than €252 per person for a week peak dates in a 4 key spa resort Even in the UK error pricing doesn't have to be honoured.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,042Posts Today

7,655Users online

Martin's Twitter