Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andis21
    • By andis21 28th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    andis21
    Appliance delivery damage noticed after 6 months
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    Appliance delivery damage noticed after 6 months 28th Nov 17 at 11:38 AM
    On the 1st of may 2017 (just over 6 months ago) I purchased a beko washing machine from currys on my credit card.
    It was delivered without any visable damage to the packaging and placed in my garage while I refitted my utility room.

I've now finished my delayed refit and come to fit the washing machine to find that despite the packaging being untouched the machine is very badly damaged and unusable. It looks to have been dropped from a height and the drum has smashed into the side and bent the whole front of the machine as well as the side panels.
    Currys say they won't do anything due to the timescale. Beko said I would have had to report it within 7 days of delivery.

Are they correct and is my next port of call my credit card company?

Andrew.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 28th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 14,390 Posts
    • 15,184 Thanks
    zx81
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    If they're correct, there will be no point in going to your card company.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    This will be a tough one to fight. Any reasonable person will inspect the goods with a reasonable time - 6 months is not reasonable. It doesn't make any sense that a washing machine would be damaged as you describe and the packaging not show that.

It could have happened at the factory but given how quality control is so automated these days, it's very very unlikely that damage would have occurred there.

If I was a merchant, I'd be fighting your claim - who knows what could have happened to a product in the 6 months after delivery. You might be able to get an engineer inspection to determine if the damage happened during manufacture but I can't see how they could determine that other than say rust on damaged parts.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 28th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    Ill be impressed if you get anywhere with this.

Put simply you need to check the product, you didnt and youll probably find you pay the price for it.

I think your best bet would be a sincere (almost grovelling) letter of complaint to currys. Avoid using words like 'rights' as theyd wipe the floor with you. Admit fault on your part but in the interest of a good future relationship, you a feel a refund (id probably go with partial refund) would go a long way to offsetting something which you clearly feel they are responsible for.

If youre a longstanding customer of currys (ie regularly buy electrical equipment from them) your complaint will probably have more weight.

Like i said though, i wouldnt be expecting much. Im fairly sure youll be relying on their goodwill.
    Don't be angry!
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 4,445 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    The only way I can see happening is if the machine was shipped without its transit bolts. But even if that was the case after 6 month how do you prove that you did not transport the machine after removing those bolts.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 28th Nov 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:08 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:08 PM
    What sort of packaging did it have? Very few brands of white goods use cardboard packaging, they usually use polystyrene around the edges and clear think plastic wrapped around it all so the level of damage you described would be visible through the clear packaging. I’m on my second Beko washing machine and they both came packaged like that, with the most recent being within the last six months, so I doubt they’d use different types of packaging for different models.

The outer packaging wouldn’t fit the machine if it was bent out of shape so couldn’t have happened before it was packed and if it happened after, any damage that could cause the drum to bend the side and front of the machine would also destroy the packaging.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 7,216 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    The only way I can see happening is if the machine was shipped without its transit bolts. But even if that was the case after 6 month how do you prove that you did not transport the machine after removing those bolts.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Good point. OP, are the transit bolts still in place?
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 28th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    Fosterdog is correct. Beko machines come packaged with poly packaging on top, bottom and corner supports. It is then wrapped in a plastic wrap to keep debris out.

Its unlikely the level of damage OP is reporting was done during delivery without notice.

In either case, Currys are unlikely to do anything due to the length, Beko are under no obligation or requirement. And fighting it through the courts would rely on what a reasonable person would believe.

And most reasonable people would say that 6 months is far more than reasonable.

A Month to check and report damage, reasonable, 6 months? no way.
    • andis21
    • By andis21 28th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andis21
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    The machine was packed in polythene sheet and polystyrene with cardboard edging.
    You'd think the damage would be noticeable through it but the polystyrene edge shields hid the fact that the front was knocked out of line and the ballooning on the side was again hidden by the strips along the bottom.

There are no scratches at all to the machine so it's been dropped in the packaging.
    The fact it's sustained such a huge amount of damage without the packing being damaged goes to show how strong the wrapping is.
    I was gobsmacked.
    It's not the sort of damage you could do dropping it from a small height. I'd struggle to make as much mess if I pushed it out of my bedroom window.

Three of the transport bolts came out without too much struggle. The fourth was badly bent. It was at this point I realised something was wrong and pulled the front wrapping off to reveal the damage.

I shall approach the vendor nicely and see if I get anywhere.
    Last edited by andis21; 28-11-2017 at 9:58 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Nov 17, 11:27 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 7,216 Thanks
    neilmcl
    The fact that the transit bolt is bent does give credence that it has indeed been dropped significantly prior to packing but proving that to the seller is another thing entirely. You could go all the way and take it to court if they don't budge and you might be in luck due it being very unlikely, on the balance of probabilities, that a customer could've caused this sort of damage but whether you'd want to is up to you.

Make sure you take pictures of all the packing and the damage etc. Also, you might want to contact your credit card co. as they are also potentially liable.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 28-11-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 29th Nov 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,625 Thanks
    DoaM
    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. So take a nicely nicely approach at first with Currys. If that gets nowhere then you could go the Letter Before Action route ... if no acceptable response to that then raise an MCOL claim for the value of the machine. Chances are they'd provide an agreeable remedy rather than risk court, as the cost to them of going to court (win or lose) would not be worth it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 29th Nov 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    It doesn't make any sense that a washing machine would be damaged as you describe and the packaging not show that.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    The outer packaging wouldn’t fit the machine if it was bent out of shape so couldn’t have happened before it was packed and if it happened after, any damage that could cause the drum to bend the side and front of the machine would also destroy the packaging.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    I can see why people are sceptical of the OP however I had almost exactly the same experience earlier this year with a Beko from Currys (albeit with an OVEN in my case)...

Packaged with polystyrene, cardboard and plastic film there was no visible damage on the outside but on unwrapping it the entire frame was smashed in and the whole oven bent over to one side (so looking face on at the oven imagine what should have been a square shape was now a parallelogram.)

As with the OP we ordered the appliances early but then the kitchen build got delayed by a few months. Normally you don't want to unpack appliances for fear of them being damaged in storage (ironically) and it was only by fluke that I asked the fitter to double check something on the oven.

Make sure you take pictures of all the packing and the damage etc. Also, you might want to contact your credit card co. as they are also potentially liable.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    If the polite approach to Currys and the Credit Card company doesn't work then this would be my next step. Issue a Letter Before Action against both of them and then follow up with court action if necessary. Get together evidence showing that the refit was delayed and hence it was perfectly reasonable not to have opened the appliance any sooner.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 29th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 8,736 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Wonder if something like this happened during delivery: https://youtu.be/NHd-8BucB3Q
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

728Posts Today

4,505Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should pubs and restaurants be made by law to allow non customers (behaving reasonably) to use their toilets?

• Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• Follow Martin