Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martha.Meza-Munoz
    • By Martha.Meza-Munoz 28th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Martha.Meza-Munoz
    Outraged at cancelation charges for car insurance
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    Outraged at cancelation charges for car insurance 28th Nov 17 at 10:40 AM
    Hi, Sorry its a bit long!

I need some a advice, I had to cancel my car insurance policy with Go Skippy as they were unable to provide me with a quote to use the car to commute to different places of work. I realise this was something requested from work so after 2 months with Go Skippy I call them to ask for a new quote.

I was paying £111.85 per month and after getting the quote (with no increase in the mileage) they told me that my monthly payment will increase to more than £200 per month. I found this ridiculous and after asking around friends and colleagues told me that the maximum increase would be of £50 and certainly no what I was told.

I shopped around and found other insurance companies that added to my monthly no more than £20 for what I needed. So I call Go skippy customer services and told them that I had cheaper quotes and ask if they could match them. Their answer was no as the brokerage company they use only provided that quote. Therefore, I had to cancel and asked for a breakdown of any charges or refunds and received an e-mail telling me that I have an outstanding balance of £325.00 and I should contact them to pay it.

Now, I check the cancellation policy and it states that chargers are £75 for cancelling after the 14 day period (I started the insurance on the 29th of September 2017), £50 for brokerage chargers and I assume the £111.85 for the monthly payment. The sum of this still do not add up to the ridiculous amount they are asking me.

Please I need to know what can I do if anything as I think this is outrageous and should not be ask to pay such amount.

many thanks!!
Page 2
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 1st Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Faith177
    Just a thought, completely out of the blue, if your money is not stretching could you not cancel your trip to the Download festival in June, or your weekend to Poole in February or your holiday to Berlin/Rome in April and your trip to Belfast in March and the weekend in the Cotswolds for the airshow in June.

Or maybe look at reducing costs for your friend's hen do in Cardiff in August and the wedding in the Peak District in September?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73358129&postcount=19
    Originally posted by HappyHarry
    Actually now the inusurance is settled and I have changed jobs and OH is working a small job part time we are in a much better financial position thank you hence why we are now doing these trips otherwise we would not be going. It took the TP insurer over 9 months to make us an interium payment and thats what caused the problem but as i said all sorted now

And I did say in my post that I was in the situation not that I still am so you digging through my post histroy wasn't really necessary (still a little confused as to why you felt the need to do that but ho hum)

All I was trying to do was point out that everyone is different and sometimes the luxury of savings is out of some peoples grasp no matter how much they try. Also with insurance costs constantly rising amongst other costs conected with motoring more people may find they need to turn to monthly payments rather than a lump sum
    Last edited by Faith177; 01-12-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • losgiganteskid
    • By losgiganteskid 1st Dec 17, 2:35 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    losgiganteskid
    Most people pay car insurance annually.
    Originally posted by dunstonh

According to a "Gocompare" survey most motorists pay over a 12 month instalment. That maybe only those motorists that insure their vehicles through their website of course.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 1st Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just a thought, completely out of the blue, if your money is not stretching could you not cancel your trip to the Download festival in June, or your weekend to Poole in February or your holiday to Berlin/Rome in April and your trip to Belfast in March and the weekend in the Cotswolds for the airshow in June.

Or maybe look at reducing costs for your friend's hen do in Cardiff in August and the wedding in the Peak District in September?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73358129&postcount=19
    Originally posted by HappyHarry

since this is an insurance forum, always important to consider income protection, because you will be damned when you need it and you don't. Just a thought.

Also Happyharry is correct, if you cannot live beyond your means why put yourself in further debt.

We sacrificed many holidays to save up. It pays for it later as a holiday is transient, a house is permanent.

It's never money saving to pay monthly for car insurance, you might as well be burning the money away
    Last edited by csgohan4; 01-12-2017 at 7:32 PM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • boliston
    • By boliston 1st Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    boliston
    not money saving to pay monthly either, might as well put money down the toilet. It's like getting a high interest loan
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Running a car is about the most UN-moneysaving thing most people routinely do, so paying insurance monthly pales into insignificance in comparison.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 1st Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Running a car is about the most UN-moneysaving thing most people routinely do, so paying insurance monthly pales into insignificance in comparison.
    Originally posted by boliston

actually I disagree, taking a train or flying to your destination would be.

If you can cycle to work which is 20- 30+ miles away good for you, but not everyone can do this.

Perhaps living is the most UN moneysaving idea thing to do, or should we live in a cave and sing kumbaya
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 1st Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    • 89,905 Posts
    • 56,582 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Originally posted by boliston
    What do you use in areas where there are no trains, trams and public services are virtually non-existent or totally impractical?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 2nd Dec 17, 12:09 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    Yes but who's got £1200 to pay in one go?
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    I do, but I'd put it on a 0% credit card. That way I could use the £1200 to pay off my debts that are accruing interest.
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    takman
    Actually now the inusurance is settled and I have changed jobs and OH is working a small job part time we are in a much better financial position thank you hence why we are now doing these trips otherwise we would not be going. It took the TP insurer over 9 months to make us an interium payment and thats what caused the problem but as i said all sorted now
    Originally posted by Faith177
    But this is exactly what I was saying, most people can sort out their finances but it may take a bit of time. So what you have posted is proof that even when your in financial hardship it can be resolved. The majority of people in financial hardship is caused by lack of planning for the future (although there are some exceptions, like always).

And I did say in my post that I was in the situation not that I still am so you digging through my post histroy wasn't really necessary (still a little confused as to why you felt the need to do that but ho hum)

All I was trying to do was point out that everyone is different and sometimes the luxury of savings is out of some peoples grasp no matter how much they try. Also with insurance costs constantly rising amongst other costs conected with motoring more people may find they need to turn to monthly payments rather than a lump sum
    Originally posted by Faith177
    If you look at statistics then running a car today has never been cheaper when you look at the costs against wages.

Also if someone can afford to pay £100 a month for 12 months then they can afford £1200 after 1 year. It's just because they didn't plan ahead that they didn't have the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter