Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jason davey
    • By jason davey 28th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jason davey
    **Help** mortgage payments
    • #1
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    **Help** mortgage payments 28th Nov 17 at 10:26 AM
    my ex partner and i have a house together.

    i own 93% and she owns the remaining 7%

    she left me four months ago and still continues to pay her half of the mortgage at the moment but i live in fear that she will stop as she keeps threatening it.

    the house has been on the market for a few months as she wanted his 7% share now she has left.

    i have offered to buy her out at its current value. but she refuses to accept.

    can any one advise where i stand if she stops paying?

    is she still entitled to his share if she stops paying.

    if i sell the house in the future and it increases in value does her 7% move with this?

    she is also threatening to move back in should i take the house off of the market.

    thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jason davey; 28-11-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 29th Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 30,749 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    getmore4less
    that was all she could afford to put in.

    my share was 140,000 ish and hers 10,000

    she paid off some out standing debts prior to us going for the mortgage.
    Originally posted by jason davey
    it was a shared debt.

    basically she had the 10k to pay off for me so i gave her the 10 k back in the house which mortgage ad visor advised was 7%

    total mortgage was 265,000 after deposits were placed
    Originally posted by jason davey
    if she has been paying 1/2 the mortgage then your idea the equity split is 93% & 7% is way off.

    if we have a house at £415k with you £140k her £10k and a £265k mortgage split 50:50

    then the split should be more like.

    £142,500:£272,500 or 34.3% and 65.7%


    if you have only been doing this for 6 months then it won't be a big change from the £10k put in as you will have only paid off max £3k of the mortgage.

    assume no increase she gets £142,500 less the share of the outstanding mortgage £131,000k

    £11,500


    can you get a mortgage on your own and afford it.

    Kids may make a difference if they are both of yours, but if just yours you need to buy her off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter