Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sephs
    • By Sephs 28th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Sephs
    Where do you buy your tights?
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    Where do you buy your tights? 28th Nov 17 at 9:50 AM
    Hi

I am looking for recommendations on tights, please!

Requirements:
    High denier (100+)
    Matte black and opaque
    Must be stretchy and comfortable (ideally a high lycra content)

Bonuses:
    A high waistband
    Comfortable around the toes

Thank you!
    Last edited by Sephs; 28-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Page 1
    • fixx
    • By fixx 28th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    fixx
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    M&S - lots of opaque tights. I'm currentyl wearing bodysensor in a high dernier (can't remember exactly what), and they've very comfy, and last very well.

M&S opaque tights
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 28th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    5ain5bury's do 100 denier black opaques. Bought some yesterday - haven't worn them yet, but the 60 denier ones I have had this season have had a comfortable waist band and toes and have stayed in place for the day without contorting themselves like some tights do! They wash well too - keep their shape and smoothness.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 28th Nov 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 9,102 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:51 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:51 AM
    Boots black opaque tights are the best I've found. I hate M&S ones, cos they just fall down.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 8,542 Thanks
    chanie
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    Falke - I buy them from TK Maxx for £6, full price is £20.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 28th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,422 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    M&S are great for me too, very comfy & never ladder
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 18,581 Posts
    • 47,828 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    I think it depends on your body shape.

What brand might suit someone who is tall with slim hips may not be comfortable for someone who is 'more rotund'.

I buy my tights from anywhere I see them - I like bright colours so it could be Primark (although usually only in the larger stores), Debenhams, TKMaxx, Next etc.

Primark actually do a bewildering range of different high denier black tights.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 29th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    I now more often ware black leggings and black socks. Won't work with all outfits, but does with many, and I find it more comfortable.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 18,581 Posts
    • 47,828 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    I now more often ware black leggings and black socks. Won't work with all outfits, but does with many, and I find it more comfortable.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    I like the high denier footless tights, especially with UGG boots (as I don't wear socks).
    • cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 29th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    cheeky-peach
    Primark for me!
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 29th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 7,677 Posts
    • 15,455 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Don’t do Asda, they sag between your legs (sorry if TMI) and are horribly uncomfortable. I vote m&s too!

• sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 29th Nov 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Primark for me!
    Originally posted by cheeky-peach
    And me, with the thicker tights still lasting wash after wash, they may not last quite as long as the more expensive brands but the cost difference still saves money even if I have to replace them more often.

I did buy a really expensive pair of 10 denier tights for my wedding, but managed to ladder them before getting them past my knees and had to resort to my spare pair of pre worn and washed (several times) primark light coloured 15 denier pair instead.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    I swear by Boots tights - always perfect!
    • Sephs
    • By Sephs 4th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sephs
    Thanks for all the replies.

Lots of votes for M&S. I splurged and bought some Autograph ones which are amazing, but I'm not keen on the regular tights they sell. No stretch and a weird square toe shape! Maybe I just need to try a different type.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Dec 17, 4:50 AM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,904 Thanks
    Floss
    I wear different brands - Asda bodyshaper, M&S bodysensor, Sainsburys thermal, Primark and the odd Tesco pair. My first choice are Asda - comfy, good fit, wash well and nice toe finish.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Dec 17, 6:44 AM
    • 18,581 Posts
    • 47,828 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I wear different brands - Asda bodyshaper, M&S bodysensor, Sainsburys thermal, Primark and the odd Tesco pair. My first choice are Asda - comfy, good fit, wash well and nice toe finish.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Donít do Asda, they sag between your legs (sorry if TMI) and are horribly uncomfortable. I vote m&s too!
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    So it just goes to show it's probably down to body shape (or maybe the size you buy).
    It's a personal thing and you just have to try brands until you get what suits you as an individual.
    • Sephs
    • By Sephs 5th Dec 17, 11:23 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sephs
    So it just goes to show it's probably down to body shape (or maybe the size you buy).
    It's a personal thing and you just have to try brands until you get what suits you as an individual.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Very true. I was just wondering whether there was a holy grail of hosiery that everybody knew about except me!
    Last edited by Sephs; 05-12-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo
    • Ames
    • By Ames 5th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 16,585 Posts
    • 29,021 Thanks
    Ames
    I have some fantastic tights. They've got two seams up the back of the bum instead of the usual one and they fit really well, they're comfortable and they don't roll down. Problem is I can't remember where I got them or what type they are. The last two pairs are now getting bobbly and close to unwearable.

I've been thinking about going into M&S or somewhere and asking but I'm afraid they'll turn out to be maternity tights that I'm wearing back to front.
    Last edited by Ames; 05-12-2017 at 9:53 PM.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Sephs
    • By Sephs 5th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sephs
    I have some fantastic tights. They've got two seams up the back of the bum instead of the usual one and they fit really well, they're comfortable and they don't roll down. Problem is I can't remember where I got them or what type they are. The last two pairs are now getting bobbly and close to unbearable.

I've been thinking about going into M&S or somewhere and asking but I'm afraid they'll turn out to be maternity tights that I'm wearing back to front.
    Originally posted by Ames
    They sound great! I'm wondering whether maternity tights might be worthwhile looking at, as I like the waistband to sit over my stomach. I'm not too worried about my tights falling down as I wear a pair of knickers over them to keep them up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,654Posts Today

5,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin