Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aytoun27
    • By Aytoun27 28th Nov 17, 9:40 AM
    • 83Posts
    • 107Thanks
    Aytoun27
    Verified by Visa card authorisation problem
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:40 AM
    Verified by Visa card authorisation problem 28th Nov 17 at 9:40 AM
    In brief, I got a new Visa debit card from my bank, HSBC, activated it and everything was fine until it came to registering online for verified by Visa. Iím repeatedly getting a Ďthere is an error;í message onscreen, but everything is entered correctly, all the card details and I know my own name, date of birth and postcode.
    Anyway, the real problem is that HSBC say that itís for Visa to sort out the problem and when I contact the verified by Visa call centre they refer me back to HSBC, so I still canít use by debit card online.
    So I wondered if anyone else had encountered the same problem and how they eventually solved it.
    Many thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Nov 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:49 PM
    Have you tried a different browser?
    • Aytoun27
    • By Aytoun27 28th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Aytoun27
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    Hi,

Yes, I've tried it with three different browsers on two computers, but no joy.
    Thanks for your reply though.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 28th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    Get a new debit card from HSBC and try that.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 28th Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    18cc
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    OK it's only my opinion and I don't know your circumstance but I would not use a debit card online full stop. I would use a credit card if you can - you get much more protection.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    From reading VISA Verify site the information you enter is verified by HSBC and then the code is issued.

In that case it would appear what you are entering is not what HSBC are verifying against.

Have you checked what HSBC have on record?
    • meer53
    • By meer53 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 9,000 Posts
    • 13,055 Thanks
    meer53
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    I use my debit card all the time for online shopping. I've not needed my verified by Visa details for a long time, every site i've used gives me a message saying they don't need to check it anymore ? I've used several new cards and haven't had to register any of them.
    • shown73
    • By shown73 28th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    shown73
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    I've had the same message for a while now, no need to verify etc., but then the process hangs up and won't actually go through to the conclusion. Have had to fiddle about with phone payments, real pain. HSBC branch also said its a visa problem, phone them next time this happens. I haven't had to yet, but I'm not confident that it will be sorted that way. It was all ok for quite some time, don't know what can have changed..
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    I get the verified by visa ‘box’ come up on screen, then it seems to verify itself and disappears.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 29th Nov 17, 8:20 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    spenderdave
    When I had to register a HSBC credit card for VBV a few years back I had to ring an HSBC number listed on the online page to get it sorted when the online application failed for some reason, which they did fairly quickly. As you say, most sites come up with the VBV box which says 'we do not need to verify this transaction' which seems to indicate the system is slowly being removed. Not used my Visa debit card online and never registered it for VBV.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Nov 17, 8:24 AM
    • 30,427 Posts
    • 19,235 Thanks
    DCFC79
    OK it's only my opinion and I don't know your circumstance but I would not use a debit card online full stop. I would use a credit card if you can - you get much more protection.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    I use a mix of debit and credit card online, nothing wrong with using a debit card online.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 29th Nov 17, 9:54 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes both credit and debit cards WORK ok online but...

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-vs-debit-card-safer-online-purchases/

Other sites exist! In summary

" If your card information is hacked and purchases are made without your permission, youíll quickly find out that debit and credit cards are treated quite differently.

The key difference: With a credit card, the card issuer must fight to get its money back. With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back."

Also of course with a credit card you have protection for purchases over £100 so if something is not what you want and the retailer won't take it back then go to the credit card for a refund. Debit cards CAN issue chargeback but it's not the same.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 29th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    sheramber
    It depends if the online retailer is signed up to the verification system.

A while ago it was reported that many retailers were no longer using the system. I can't remember when I was last asked for verification.

Where it is use the system checks whether verification is needed or not. Some purchases are verified automatically.

If verification is required the piuchase will not proceed without it.
    • WBCPB
    • By WBCPB 30th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    WBCPB
    I had an error box appear at the top of the browser window stating:"please enter your correct DOB",i knew there was a problem as my DOB was correct,went into HSBC branch and they telephoned verified by visa who had me enter my details on "an assisted" browser window,the guy from India told me not to use any capital letters when entering my name,all went well and i was able to sign up.He could not tell me if i was able to change the password that i entered in front of the HSBC customer service rep though,and this has been an ongoing problem according to the bank`s counter staff,it seems to have surfaced only since HSBC switched from Mastercard to Visa verification platform.

Regards
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 30th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 8,776 Posts
    • 13,395 Thanks
    worried jim
    Are you using a proxy vpn? I sometimes have to turn mine off to perform certain banking functions, only found this out through trial and error after my bank’s technical team couldn’t figure out an issue.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

996Posts Today

5,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin