Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bethancurran98
    • By Bethancurran98 28th Nov 17, 1:22 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bethancurran98
    When do I pay my credit card bsck
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:22 AM
    When do I pay my credit card bsck 28th Nov 17 at 1:22 AM
    Hi guys itís my first time owning a credit card and Iím a little confused. I want to know when I pay my card off and the date this will happen. Say I spend some money in the middle of December on my credit card would I pay the amount I owe back at the end of the month or a month after I made my first transaction? Because for me at this moment in time paying at the end of January would be so much better. Need helpc would be appreciated
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 28th Nov 17, 2:46 AM
    • 17,645 Posts
    • 22,638 Thanks
    redux
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:46 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:46 AM
    It depends on when your statement date is. The due date for payment is written on it, and is a few days before the following statement.

So purchases a day or two before the statement date will appear on it and allow you about 3 weeks to pay, whereas a purchase the day after a statement will appear on the following month's give you between 7 and 8 weeks to pay.

If you've just applied for the card, the first statement date will probably, though not certainly, be a month after opening the account. If it would be a bit more convenient to have the statement at a different time of the month, for instance so that the due date for payment is shortly after monthly salary received, the firm may be willing to adjust the date.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 28th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    Hi guys it’s my first time owning a credit card and I’m a little confused. I want to know when I pay my card off and the date this will happen. Say I spend some money in the middle of December on my credit card would I pay the amount I owe back at the end of the month or a month after I made my first transaction? Because for me at this moment in time paying at the end of January would be so much better. Need helpc would be appreciated
    Originally posted by Bethancurran98

When you receive a statement, it'll have the payment due by date.

Depending on the method of payment, you may need to pay a few days earlier because some payment methods take longer to clear. A Faster Payments transfer is generally the quickest.

How long you get to pay each transaction depends on how near the statement date you are. You can have up to 56 days to pay either in full without incurring interest or the min payment or anything in between. If you use your card 1 day after the statement date, you'll only be billed for it on the next statement date, giving you 29 days + the time between statement and bill due to pay.

Edit: Going to move this to the Credit Card section.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 28th Nov 17, 8:46 AM
    • 18,721 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:46 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:46 AM
    If you intend to pay off the full balance every month then the best option (in my view, although others have a different opinion for reasons that have never been clear to me) is to set up a full balance direct debit, which will take the money from your account at the latest possible date - it also means you'll never forget to pay it, although you do need to make sure that there is enough money in the account that you specify at the time the DD will be taken. One thing to note is that it may not be possible to do this now for the first statement.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th Nov 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:53 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:53 AM
    If you intend to pay off the full balance every month then the best option (in my view, although others have a different opinion for reasons that have never been clear to me) is to set up a full balance direct debit, which will take the money from your account at the latest possible date
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    You may have answered your own question there - a number of cards schedule DDs for up to ten days before the due date, so some cardholders elect not to use that payment method for cashflow reasons....
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 28th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    You could always pay the minimum in December, then clear in full in January. Though, having had bad debt myself, I wouldn't recommend using credit to fund Christmas.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    • 12,673 Posts
    • 12,009 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    Hi guys itís my first time owning a credit card and Iím a little confused. I want to know when I pay my card off and the date this will happen. Say I spend some money in the middle of December on my credit card would I pay the amount I owe back at the end of the month or a month after I made my first transaction? Because for me at this moment in time paying at the end of January would be so much better. Need helpc would be appreciated
    Originally posted by Bethancurran98
    Sounds to me like this card may not be affordable for you.

Christmas is an expensive time of year, but if you canít afford it, my advice would be donít borrow it.

Credit cards can be the edge of a very slippery slope indeed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 29th Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    If you're struggling with the cost of Christmas, this article may help: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/christmas-savings

As advised above, your payment due date is dependent upon your statement date. In my case I get a statement on the 22nd for a card taken out on the 30th of the month, so you can't predict anything from the date of application either.

Cards tend to be up to 56 days interest free - but to get this you'd have to make the purchase at the start of the statement period. The payment due date is around three weeks after the statement is produced.

If you don't clear a statement in full by the due date, interest is applied from the date of purchase, not the payment due date. It accrues on the full statement balance, not just the portion not cleared.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter