Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Melade
    • By Melade 27th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Melade
    Unpaid tax bills
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    Unpaid tax bills 27th Nov 17 at 8:52 PM
    In October my husband got a letter from the tax man stating he owed £167 for the year 2015/2016 so I called them to ask why, I was told that the tax code was wrong due to the marriage tax code not being added so he paid. 1 week later I recieved a letter stating that I owed £265 for the same year due to the same reason again I paid it. Now today (November) my husbands received another tax bill of £238 for the year 2016/2017 with the same reason. In my opinion itís the tax man whoís made the mistake so Iím asking should he pay it or complain?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 27th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    Personally I wouldn't do either.

I would check the letters (do they include calculations showing how the amounts have been arrived at?) to check if everything is correct or not.

There's some helpful people on here who can probably point you in the right direction if you provide a bit more detail.

A regular problem which crops up on here is where one person gets a refund and the other gets a bill because they have applied for Marriage Allowance for a tax year when there was no point in applying. Did you check it was worth applying for these tax years before taking the plunge?

Does hubby pay higher rate tax?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    Who transferred the marriage allowance to whom?

What was your income for both years and what was your husband's income for both years?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 29th Nov 17, 3:05 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:05 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:05 AM
    But surely they shouldn't both have bills for the same tax year? One rebate, one bill would be the norm surely, so unless there has been a mistake re the year then there is a problem or a misunderstanding somewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,419Posts Today

7,184Users online

Martin's Twitter