Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wary
    • By wary 27th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 686Posts
    • 300Thanks
    wary
    iTunes Not Recognising iPod
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    iTunes Not Recognising iPod 27th Nov 17 at 8:44 PM
    I recently purchased an Apple iPad 9.7" 2017. I have managed to get to be recognised by iTunes (unsyncíed) on one occasion and even copied a video onto it. However, Iíve tried several times today and it doesnít appear in iTunes.

iPad is appearing as a device on the laptop though so USB cable/port are presumably OK. Also iTunes continues to recognise my iPod Nano (unsyncíed) as usual.

Laptop is Windows 10.1. iTunes is the latest version.

Iíve tried several things such as rebooting, starting iTunes before or after the iPad is plugged in Ö so would welcome any suggestions, no matter how basic please.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 27th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    Normally the catch-all solution for most Apple problems is Recovery Mode.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263
    • wary
    • By wary 27th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    wary
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Thanks for that. I followed the instructions and it seemed to "work" in that it went into recovery mode for approx 10 mins before rebooting (there were also a couple of W10 notifications which disappeared before I had chance to properly digest them).

Alas iTunes is still not recognising the iPad
    • wary
    • By wary 28th Nov 17, 4:48 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    wary
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:48 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:48 AM
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Sorted now, thanks.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht204095
    The right-click on the Setup Information file did the trick ...
    Last edited by wary; 28-11-2017 at 4:57 AM. Reason: Add link
    • Woking Wounded
    • By Woking Wounded 29th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Woking Wounded
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    I had thought this thread was about an iPod issue but it's really an iPad one. However, people with a problem getting an old iPod Classic to connect to iTunes (particularly after an "upgrade" to v12.7.?) may find this helpful.

It seems that iTunes 12.7 has had support for iPod removed (as Apple support say "we no longer support this vintage product"!). The simplest solution is to downgrade to a previous version of iTunes (I am now using 12.6.3) and this seems to fix it. Apple won't help you to do this but there are plenty of other sites with step by step instructions (just Google how to downgrade iTunes). It's not difficult - just remember to protect your latest version of iTunes Library.itl in your iTunes folder as this holds all your playlists, ratings etc and will be recognised by the new installation (unless you choose an even older version of iTunes in which case it may not and you'll loose this info - unless you get the software to recover it from your iPod)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter