Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • *Kat*
    • By *Kat* 27th Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,750Posts
    • 619Thanks
    *Kat*
    Car serviced and MOT'd - a week later it dies. Oil cap not secured
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    Car serviced and MOT'd - a week later it dies. Oil cap not secured 27th Nov 17 at 8:11 PM
    I'm NOT sure if the two are related.

I got my car serviced and MOT'd on 17/11. On 25/11 I was driving home and the car started making this awful noise. I got it home and opened the bonnet. The oil cap was not secured. My car is now a write off. It's only 6yrs and 65,000 miles and it is unusual for the car to die this quickly. I look after it, it has a full service history, no advisories from MOT so I really don't understand wtf has happened.

I don't know if anyone can help, but someone mentioned to me that it could be that the oil cap was not secure and this caused engine issues.

Just looking for advice
    Weight loss to date: 7lbs
    Money made selling junk on ebay : £87.93

Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Nov 17, 8:18 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,013 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Then it wasn't the oil filler cap being loose or even completely absent which caused it. For it to have been that then the engine bay would be covered in oil, there would be a strong smell accompanied by loads of blue smoke as the oil burned on the hot engine and there would be no oil showing on the dipstick.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Agreed.

The only way a loose oil cap could cause any issue is if it had come off completely, allowing all the oil inside the engine to be outside the engine. Smell, leaks, smoke would inevitably result. Don't ask how I know this...

The 1 mile driven with the noise is what has terminally killed your engine. As soon as I would have heard the first sound it would be clutch pedal down, engine off, into neutral, coast to side of road and park up, phone recovery. Had you done that instead of continuing to drive for 5 minutes or more you may still have had an engine.
    Don't agree with this, though. If the noise is the sound of the big ends - the bearings that join the crankshaft to the connecting rods to the pistons - failing, then the engine is already toast. Running it won't add much more damage, unless and until the conrods actually poke out the side and say hello. That could be the difference between your old engine being a viable exchange core and not, so could add a reasonable chunk to the cost of the engine swap. But it won't save the engine...

Quite why swapping the entire engine is cheaper than getting the crank reground is another question entirely...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 28th Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 13,250 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    A colleague's wife has a similar car, serviced properly, and it has big end issues.

No loose oil cap though.

Quite why swapping the entire engine is cheaper than getting the crank reground is another question entirely...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Apparently, the "book" time to swap a crankshaft is 17 hours. Plus parts.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 28th Nov 17, 9:11 AM
    • 6,391 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I read this online:
    Quote:
    Failure is almost always caused by an oil pressure problem, reduced lubrication lets the bearing hit the crank, leading to a spun shell or complete bearing failure.
    Originally posted by *Kat*
    Loss of oil pressure is normally due to pump failure or blocked oilways (or a lack of oil!). The filler cap is there to stop oil leaking from the filler hole, not to maintain the oil pressure.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Nov 17, 9:16 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,013 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Apparently, the "book" time to swap a crankshaft is 17 hours. Plus parts.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Presumably, including removing and refitting the engine.

What's the book time to remove the old engine, strip ancillaries, build up the replacement, and refit it?
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 28th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Would this be the ep6 prince engine shared with Peugeot. They tend to burn a lot of oil, up to 1l per 1000 miles. Could it have run very low on oil pre service causing the start of the damage.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 28th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    When you say the cap wasn't secured? Was it loose, or completely unattached?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 29th Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Depends on what else got mashed up along the way. Might easily end up being conrods, pistons, a rebore or there could be damage to the bores enough that its beyond the limits for reboring. And if its been because of no oil pressure then you could be looking at scored camshaft lobes and new camshaft bearings.

Trouble is that when you've had an engine fail like that due to lack of oil pressure and its been continued to be driven for a few minutes rattling its nuts off the only real solution is to put a new engine in because there is a high likelihood there is something else which has suffered badly as well due to lack of oil and 1500 RPM. The only way to be guaranteed of not having something come out of the woodwork in the near future is to replace the whole lot.
    • facade
    • By facade 29th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    facade
    Would this be the ep6 prince engine shared with Peugeot. They tend to burn a lot of oil, up to 1l per 1000 miles. Could it have run very low on oil pre service causing the start of the damage.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Couple that with a tiny sump, and a lot of these engines have been run until they empty the sump and the oil light comes on in between services (I personally know of 2 that definitely were ) which doesn't help bearing life for the next owner...
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    • 13,250 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Presumably, including removing and refitting the engine.

What's the book time to remove the old engine, strip ancillaries, build up the replacement, and refit it?
    No idea. It didn't come up in the conversation.

Just a thought OP. Does your loose oil filler cap look like this?

Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • roneik
    • By roneik 30th Nov 17, 12:59 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    roneik
    If the oil cap is not screwed down fully you get an oil light warning. The oil pressure is affected in these conditions. I am quoting 12 plate cooper. I changed oil and filter on one and got the cap cross threaded. Within couple of minutes oil light . Realised what it may have been and rectified ..

No oil loss ,just loss of oil pressure
    • roneik
    • By roneik 30th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    roneik
    The pic looks like the reusable oil filter container. The ops problem was almost definitely the oil filler cap not screwed down or cross threaded. .I have had several minis and service them myself once out of warranty. The engines are good quite a bit of grunt for a 1600cc I change the oil way before the mileage quoted by BMW and only use Castrol edge. I drive it hard but keep it in good. order,never had any issues with the minis I have owned. The oil is the blood of a car
    None of my minis have used oil to any degree, in fact the only whinge about mini engine is the dipstick its awful. I would recommend the car and I lust over the 2 litre model , that's got to be my next mini
    Last edited by roneik; 30-11-2017 at 1:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter