Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Parsnip90
    • By Parsnip90 27th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Parsnip90
    HSBC - Approved, missing email
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    HSBC - Approved, missing email 27th Nov 17 at 8:06 PM
    Hello

I know this would be quickly answered by a call to HSBC but my last call to their credit card department cost me £6! Hoping someone may have experience.

I got a secure message informing me my credit card application was approved and that Iíd receive an email with the contract. That was on Friday, but no email has come through (inbox or junk filters).

Is there usually a wait between approval and the contract being sent out?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    I don't have a card with HSBC but opened a current account with them last year, easily the slowest process I've ever experienced and took many weeks.
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 27th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    Nothing to worry about. All the documentation including the CC itself will arrive by the end of the week. And next time when calling any bank try to find somebody with number with free minutes. It's unnecessary to pay such ridiculous amounts for nothing.
    • parsnp
    • By parsnp 28th Nov 17, 6:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    parsnp
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:39 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:39 AM
    I have unlimited minutes but the number must have been at a premium rate - and they accidentally dropped my call part way so I had to phone back and go through it all again...

The wording of the secure message seems like iI should sign and return the contract before card posting, but in the past Iíve had cards arrive like you describe.

Thanks!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 28th Nov 17, 7:50 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,050 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:50 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:50 AM
    I have unlimited minutes but the number must have been at a premium rate - and they accidentally dropped my call part way so I had to phone back and go through it all again...

The wording of the secure message seems like iI should sign and return the contract before card posting, but in the past Iíve had cards arrive like you describe.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by parsnp
    I think banks have been banned from using 0870 type numbers.
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 28th Nov 17, 9:58 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:58 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:58 AM
    Well, on Saturday I spent 72 minutes on the phone with HSBC setting up online and telephone banking and it cost me nawt. It was a 0345 or so number.
    • parsnp
    • By parsnp 28th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    parsnp
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    It was an 0844 number - the message said I should call this number specifically, and the guys on my debit card number couldnít help.

Not claiming HSBC charge you on every number, but the one I was given to call was charged at ~60p/min.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 1st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    ... And next time when calling any bank try to find somebody with number with free minutes. It's unnecessary to pay such ridiculous amounts for nothing.
    Originally posted by radoslaff
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 have banned banks, card companies and insurers from using premium rate 084, 087 or 09 numbers. Numbers must start 01, 02, 03 or 080.

It was an 0844 number - the message said I should call this number specifically, and the guys on my debit card number couldn’t help. Not claiming HSBC charge you on every number, but the one I was given to call was charged at ~60p/min.
    Originally posted by parsnp
    The 0844 number you called is very likely to be fake or a scam. Contact your bank on their official number and report the possibility of being scammed.
    • parsnp
    • By parsnp 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    parsnp
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    It was definitely HSBC - number supplied via secure messaging. Not sure on the specifics of the reg but their general enquiries line is freephone, perhaps it doesnít extend to dialling specific departments.

Just as an update to the thread in case anyone goes through the same thing, the email never showed. I rang through and asked them to resend it and it came through 24 hours later. CS said it should take no longer than 48 hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,884Posts Today

6,497Users online

Martin's Twitter