Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andybean
    • By andybean 27th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 48Thanks
    andybean
    Land registary and 4 month solicitor delay.
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    Land registary and 4 month solicitor delay. 27th Nov 17 at 6:49 PM
    Hi all. Excuse the stressed rating of a pregnant woman here however iv searched posts and cant find a solution. Basically my parents have been selling their property, no chain, but its taken months. The other sides solicitors seem to be stalling. The latest thing is a strip of land approx 5m by 1 metres that they are waiting for a survey from land registary to come and survey. They have lived in the house 47 years. Land rules change. They are waiting and waiting for land registry to get intouch and let them know a date. Its the only hold up to contracts being signed.In the meantime my parents have lost out to one house and due to this current delay, about to loose out to another due to delay over a strip of land. They are in limbo and it's making them ill. The buyer is getting a great family home where as mum and dad are missing out on theirs. My question is what can they do to ensure they get this done quickly so they can buy this home. Its a builder selling so understandably first come with cash gets the property. They have looked into bridging loans etc but have been told by their financial adviser they can take weeks to set up anyway. Their solicitor says as the land registary is ongoing then they could complete but the other sides solicitor refuses. Other than offer the buyer cash or written reasurance what more can be done? Anyone with t Land registry knowledge would be welcome or any experiences and success stories on how to get this moving. Thanks again.
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 27th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    Why are the Land Registry coming to survey this piece of land?
    • andybean
    • By andybean 27th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    Apparently it needs measuring? I have no idea either. Fee has been taken, application in a few weeks ago. This is the latest. Many on the street have gone through this process in the past so not sure in the hold up.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 27th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    1) please use paragraphs and puncuation to make your posts easier to read.

2) focus on the relevant facts

3) since you don't appear to know the aswer, ask your parents to go in and visit their solicitor and find out (and then tell you so you can tell us!) what the issue is with this land and why it requires measuring.

4) In some cases, applcations to the LR can expedited where a sale is in jeapordy. Get parents to ask solicitor to request this.
    • andybean
    • By andybean 27th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    Thanks for your response, G_M im sure you get the jist of my post regardless of punctation, paragraphs or relevance. Again this is a emotional post so sorry if i have offended your information giving rules in any way! I was asking for support not a lesson but i bow in your greatness.
    There has been daily contact with solicitors and land registary. Mixed stories with land registary losing the application etc however i spared you those details.
    The survey needs to be done so the strip of land can be added to the deeds. I answered the question i was asked.
    My frustration was why it was taking so long but additionally i asked if there were any other finance options that could be taken in the shared experience of others.
    Hope this helps.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 27th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    Thanks for your response, G_M im sure you get the jist of my post regardless of punctation, paragraphs or relevance. Again this is a emotional post so sorry if i have offended your information giving rules in any way! I was asking for support not a lesson but i bow in your greatness.
    Wow how rude.

The land registry frequent the board. Perhaps they will reply.

In the meantime the information GM gave you was all relevant.

You specifically say you don't know why they are coming to survey

Apparently it needs measuring? I have no idea either. Fee has been taken, application in a few weeks ago.!
    The best advice is to find out specifically why. There is a delay with land registry. I think the last post I saw was 61 days from receipt of an application. But I may be wrong on that.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    • 23,697 Posts
    • 89,668 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    So, there is a problem with the title plan, which shows either more or less (it's not clear) land than your parents property occupies in the real world: is that correct?

I believe that there is is quite a wait involved for the Land Registry to complete this sort of routine work, but it may be expedited more quickly if a property transaction depends on it. Obviously, the devil is in the detail.

The Land Registry reps visit this site and have their own thread running on this forum. They also check other threads for work that might concern them, so the fact that you have included the LR in your title, should see one of them respond to this soon.

As GM says, your solicitor might also know if your LR work may be fast-tracked; if they are sentient, that is.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • andybean
    • By andybean 27th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    The post asked if i knew why they were surveying, maybe this isn't usually done hence i said i didn't know either. I assumed it was the done thing but maybe not in all cases for such a small strip. Afterall the wait is holding up the sale.

Amazing how im seen as rude however criticism of punctation and paragraphs of a non frequent poster wanting help is not seen as rude. After all i belive the ethos of Martin and this site is for the non lay person to ask for support? I certainly hope responses like i have dont put people off posting, as surely this defeats the point of a forum?
    A post should be sincere and not have to come from a legal technical standpoint aftall if i knew the answers i wouldnt ask!
    Im sure, like myself, people post on here as they are at their wits end and need advice and support.
    Yes i am hoping someone who is kind enough to offer constructive advice and support will respond.
    Thanks again
    • andybean
    • By andybean 27th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    Thanks Davesnave. Yes the land needs adding. It just seems like an item that could have been tackled months ago. At least your post said i did something right mentioning land registary. I used to work for the local council, i know there is procedure its just sad that my parents keep loosing out. Thanks again. My parents are following this and the good advice is giving them more ideas to go back again to the solicitors with.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Nov 17, 10:16 PM
    • 23,697 Posts
    • 89,668 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Yes the land needs adding. It just seems like an item that could have been tackled months ago.
    Originally posted by andybean
    It possibly should have been dealt with much earlier, but people often forget to reflect real world changes in their title documents, or to correct mistakes.

A similar thing happened to our vendor when we last bought.

Land Registry reps usually visit here in office hours.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 27th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 36,208 Posts
    • 153,063 Thanks
    silvercar
    From another post about survey delays, the Land Registry rep posted:

If a survey is requested we usually notify the applicant that a survey will take place within 2 weeks of our notification. There's no time limit as to our 'having to' complete the survey but the vast majority are made within that 2 week timeframe
    Sounds like the solicitor needs to find out what is the delay.

PS I've put a prompt on the Land Registry thread for them to look at this thread. They've not posted for a few days so maybe away.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Land Registry
    I think much of this has been covered by others but for clarity re our approach here goes

It reads as if their property is registered but a small strip is not. As such the buyer's want that resolved before they will complete. That means an application fir first registration.

It also reads as if they don't have deeds to show that the land is owned so they are claiming it based on having been their 47 years. If so then a survey is required as the claim is based on their statement of truth/stat dec or claim that the ladn should have been included when first registered. As such we have to 'take a look' to confirm the details.

FRs are currently taking on average 61 working days. If there is a linked transaction such as an onward sale/purchase then the application can be 'expedited'. The solicitor has to request that and supply details if the sale/purchase

Expedition means it can be considered within 10 working days usually. And the survey requested, which is also then done within 10 working days.

If all is then in order it can be registered.

As far as other courses of action are concerned it seems you have covered these, namely buy it and register the strip afterwards or take out indemnity insurance against someone else claiming the land. The buyer appears to have said no to both. Their choice of course.

On the face of it fairly routine as suggested by one poster but the reality is that there are several factors to consider and not all may relate to the registration process.

It can be very stressful and we do recognise that by providing the expedition service.

Your parents of course know everything there is to know re the land over 47 years. But the solicitors, the buyer's and ourselves don't so there is a process to follow and law law to be recognised before registration can be completed.

Finally, it seems that there is some uncertainty over what's been happening re the application. Happy to take a look and advise if you want to post the allocated title number here or email us
    Last edited by Land Registry; 29-11-2017 at 5:42 AM.
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • andybean
    • By andybean 28th Nov 17, 10:37 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    Sorry for the late response. After getting notifications all last night of replies i got no notifications today! But thank you so much for your responses.

Apparently this strip of land got left off when the lease hold was bought by my parents. The house backs into woodland so maybe this was a bit ambiguous on the plans? Apparently though its in the hands of Ordinance Survey now!
    Regardess i will pass on all this good advice to my parents to chase.

Thanks for the details Land Registry. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by andybean; 28-11-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 29th Nov 17, 12:38 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    Although tempted to simply ignore your rude response, I shall clarify why I posted as I did.

You are, indeed, a new poster, so advice to you might help with your future posts requesting advice.

Hence I politely suggested use of paragraphs etc (my very first word was 'please').

By posting, you were asking complete strangers to spend their unpaid time giving you advice. It is therefore only fair to make it as easy for them as possible to understand your problem. It is also helpful to you, as more people are likely to respond, and to do so with relevant advice, if they can quickly, easily, and accurately, understand your problem.

Having briefly and politely passed on the benefit of my exerience in posting, to assist you next time, I then provided some suggestions, which were later pretty much confirmed by the Land Registry Rep (eg the possibility of the solicitor 'expediting' the application.

I write this now not just for you, but for the benefit of other new posters who might come across this thread before posting themselves.

And while on the subject, it's always appreciated by respondants when a poster hits the 'thanks' button!
    Last edited by G_M; 29-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    • andybean
    • By andybean 29th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    Hi Land registry
    The ref is SYK 655645
    Sadly the address came back failed when we tried to use it?
    If you could private message me the link then we could try again.
    Very much appreciated.
    • andybean
    • By andybean 29th Nov 17, 4:43 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    Good afternoon G-M
    As much as I appreciate your advice was correct I feel the manner of delivery could have had a less rude and critical tone. After all I didn’t see your specific instructions on the posting rules, however I may have missed them.
    I did find the Etiquette of posting guideline given on this site and have highlighted it as a polite and friendly reminder:
    • Please be nice to all MoneySavers:
    There's no such thing as a stupid question and, even if you disagree, courtesy helps.
    • Please be sensitive:
    This may be a web forum, but you're still talking to other human beings. Repeatedly or harshly saying someone's wrong, especially on boards like DebtFreeWannabe, Bankruptcy or Benefits, can lead to upset.
    • We're proud that many people whose financial problems exacerbate mental health issues seek help in the forum, but this means you may be berating someone who's clinically depressed. Please think twice before posting judgmental comments.
    • Don't feed the trolls:
    Sadly the web has a habit of throwing up a very small but vocal number of trolls, people who are nasty or contrary just to get a rise out of you. If someone's doing this, simply don't reply, just report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. If you get involved and fling mud back, you risk being barred from using the forum too

We are lucky, that at this point, as stressed, frustrated and potentially homeless my family and I are regarding this situation, it hasn’t quite took us over the edge, however I would hate to think of a person posting, desperate for help and in an emotional condition, to have your post as a first response. Further correcting them and being critical of their post, adding to the demoralising situation they are already in. Please consider this in your future responses, asking the question ,What may be happening beyond the words for that person.

I’m sure a lot of people who post on these sites asking for advice are indeed at an emotional standpoint that’s driven them to air their personal business for others to judge. You and others that kindly reply are hopefully in a better place as you are possibly not currently experiencing the worries of the initial poster, and have experience of/deal with that issue and it’s not as worrying for you.

I will consider the format and relevance of my future posts, however I am human, and emotionally invested in this situation, and not on the more fortunate side of being able to give detached advice.

Please can I ask that you also take a moment to reflect on the tone of your posts when replying to people. I’m sure we can both learn from this experience as after all, no one is perfect. I’m sure no one expects kid gloves however a bit of compassion goes a long way.
    After all just using please in a post does not make a critical and negative tone more polite.

I feel that this is the end of this discussion now and both our feelings have been aired.

Additionally Thanks for pointing out the Thanks button, I’ve already seen it, and used it a few times already.
    Last edited by andybean; 29-11-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 29th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    harrys dad
    Good afternoon G-M
    As much as I appreciate your advice was correct I feel the manner of delivery could have had a less rude and critical tone. After all I didnít see your specific instructions on the posting rules, however I may have missed them.
    I did find the Etiquette of posting guideline given on this site and have highlighted it as a polite and friendly reminder:
    • Please be nice to all MoneySavers:
    There's no such thing as a stupid question and, even if you disagree, courtesy helps.
    • Please be sensitive:
    This may be a web forum, but you're still talking to other human beings. Repeatedly or harshly saying someone's wrong, especially on boards like DebtFreeWannabe, Bankruptcy or Benefits, can lead to upset.
    • We're proud that many people whose financial problems exacerbate mental health issues seek help in the forum, but this means you may be berating someone who's clinically depressed. Please think twice before posting judgmental comments.
    • Don't feed the trolls:
    Sadly the web has a habit of throwing up a very small but vocal number of trolls, people who are nasty or contrary just to get a rise out of you. If someone's doing this, simply don't reply, just report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. If you get involved and fling mud back, you risk being barred from using the forum too

We are lucky, that at this point, as stressed, frustrated and potentially homeless my family and I are regarding this situation, it hasnít quite took us over the edge, however I would hate to think of a person posting, desperate for help and in an emotional condition, to have your post as a first response. Further correcting them and being critical of their post, adding to the demoralising situation they are already in. Please consider this in your future responses, asking the question ,What may be happening beyond the words for that person.

Iím sure a lot of people who post on these sites asking for advice are indeed at an emotional standpoint thatís driven them to air their personal business for others to judge. You and others that kindly reply are hopefully in a better place as you are possibly not currently experiencing the worries of the initial poster, and have experience of/deal with that issue and itís not as worrying for you.

I will consider the format and relevance of my future posts, however I am human, and emotionally invested in this situation, and not on the more fortunate side of being able to give detached advice.

Please can I ask that you also take a moment to reflect on the tone of your posts when replying to people. Iím sure we can both learn from this experience as after all, no one is perfect. Iím sure no one expects kid gloves however a bit of compassion goes a long way.
    After all just using please in a post does not make a critical and negative tone more polite.

I feel that this is the end of this discussion now and both our feelings have been aired.

Additionally Thanks for pointing out the Thanks button, Iíve already seen it, and used it a few times already.
    AndyBean G_M is a hugely respected poster on this forum, and the author of many helpful guides, especially on issues relating to renting. You will see he has almost 50,000 thanks from those grateful for his sage advice, freely given and taking considerable time. He was even kind enough to continue to give you advice despite your suggestion he was rude.

New poster or not you need to be more grateful and less entitled. You might then find that G_M invites you round for his infamous tea and cake
    • andybean
    • By andybean 29th Nov 17, 5:28 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    andybean
    Tea and cake I'm there! I'm sure we could have a good old conversation. I make a mean Banana Bread!!
    Sadly the written word doesn't always come across as well as spoken.
    I never disagreed with the advice, just the tone and context it was given in. As person surely I have the right to respond. After all it took me quite a lot to voice my worries and it wasn't the response I needed at that time. I certainly don't feel entitled, just a person needing some kind of answer or ideas at a tricky time.

There is always the worry that a little bit of compassion for others can be lost when information is constantly being given and repeated. It was a polite reminder to think about what is going on behind the scenes, does this person really need advice or do they need a lesson on posting questions?
    I'm just trying to help make sure that doesn't happen again through passing on my thoughts on how I felt receiving such a post. After all I did say the delivery was rude not the man!
    As I said I feel the nature of this discussion is over and actually diverting from my original question.
    Any financial ideas out of this situation would also be appreciated.
    Enjoy the cake!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin