Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hoseman
    • By Hoseman 27th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 344Posts
    • 173Thanks
    Hoseman
    How much does a new Boiler cost?
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    How much does a new Boiler cost? 27th Nov 17 at 5:12 PM
    How much? I was quoted £2k earlier. Fair enough if this is a good price but the cynic in me () says it could be cheaper for a decent boiler!!

I understand there are different brands, premium ones, ones with bells and whistles, super duper energy efficient blah blah blah ones. Im looking for something decent that does the job and is reliable.

Any feedback, recommendations and any other info would be, as always, appreciated.
Page 1
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 27th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    citykid5
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    Depending on your location and weather you're changing like for like on boiler type, should be able to get a good brand valiant or Worcester for around £1650 all in with 7 to 10 yr warranty
    • adandem
    • By adandem 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 4,668 Thanks
    adandem
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    As already mentioned, it will depend on whether it's like for like.
    When we changed our boiler around 4 years ago, they all basically did the same thing. The type of thermostat and magnaclean etc. will also affect the price. Energy efficiency and reliability would be my main concerns.
    We have Worcester Bosch, no bells and whistles. We paid around 2.5k but it wasn't like for like, we had extra rads fitted and some replaced. We had a magnaclean and wireless thermostat.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 27th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    How do you pick a boiler? Is there a website where you can compare energy efficiency, cost, features, value for money etc??
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    We had a large Ideal Vogue 40 fitted last weekend, replacing an older vokera. Same location, some messing about with pipes and flues required, new filter, wireless thermostat. £2250. It serves 12 radiators.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 27th Nov 17, 10:19 PM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 4,668 Thanks
    adandem
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:19 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:19 PM
    How do you pick a boiler? Is there a website where you can compare energy efficiency, cost, features, value for money etc??
    Originally posted by Zither
    I think you would need to find out what size your property needs and take it from there. Not really sure how many different features you get with boilers? Different types though.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 27th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    What make & model have you been quoted £2k for ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • thefabricman
    • By thefabricman 30th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thefabricman
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    Just arranged a new boiler to be fitted. had a Ideal Icos 24. it is 12 years old. Last 10 years breaks down at least once a year. Heat exchanger is now leaking. Decided on a Worcester/Bosch greenstar 18 RI. Quote from a local firm £2650 which included changing 3port valve. British Gas £1950 without 3 port valve (they say its working ok and if it packs up in first year they will replace it free). So BG have improved their prices no longer 20%-30% dearer than local,
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    WillowCat
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    My mother's just bought a flat. At some point between viewing it and completion the vendor got a new boiler fitted. Bottom of the range Glow Worm combi in a straight swap out. She left the receipt - just over £3k from a 'national' company - Rightio. It broke down a few days after being used for heating for the first time - company refused to have anything to do with it due to change of ownership, but said she could call out Glow Worm - who of course wanted paying in case it wasn't a boiler fault. Got a local plumber out and it turned out it was a badly installed condensate pump.

No help really, just a case of 'how not to do it' and it got it off my chest!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter