Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weeg
    • By Weeg 27th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Weeg
    Sky Help.
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    Sky Help. 27th Nov 17 at 4:41 PM
    Plz remove if this isn't he correct place to post..
    My friend recently lost all her benefits , she tried to cancel sky (she simply cannot afford to have it) , the said she is contracted until may next year and reduced the package to the very basic.. Im horrified that their basic is going to cost her £58 in dec then £38 jan onwards.. She can not afford this and they will not let her cancel. She is unable to haggle etc as her nature is very timid and non argumentative (unlike myself ). Can anyone here plz advise on how to help .. Thank you in advance Gail <3
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 27th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    Plz remove if this isn't he correct place to post..
    My friend recently lost all her benefits , she tried to cancel sky (she simply cannot afford to have it) , the said she is contracted until may next year and reduced the package to the very basic.. Im horrified that their basic is going to cost her £58 in dec then £38 jan onwards.. She can not afford this and they will not let her cancel. She is unable to haggle etc as her nature is very timid and non argumentative (unlike myself ). Can anyone here plz advise on how to help .. Thank you in advance Gail <3
    Originally posted by Weeg
    Ask a board guide to move it to the debt / finance part of the forum, more experience in TV etc here than debt.
    • Weeg
    • By Weeg 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Weeg
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    Ask a board guide to move it to the debt / finance part of the forum, more experience in TV etc here than debt.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone

I don't know who to ask Huni . x
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    Top right hand of the page:

"How to contact us"
    • alanq
    • By alanq 28th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    alanq
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    Names of your board guides can be found near the foot of the Phones & TV board page.

Click on Browntoa &/or Cornucopia to send them a message.
    Last edited by alanq; 28-11-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert .com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 8,803 Posts
    • 21,097 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    Hi folks, we've just moved this over from Phones & TV.

Can anyone help Weeg?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • National Debtline
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    Hi Weeg

Unfortunately if your friend has a contract with Sky then she will be liable until it ends. You can still try talking them again to see if they will use their discretion to reduce the bill further. For example she could ask them to remove the TV element altogether and just keep the landline and internet.

If she simply can't afford what they are asking for, she can stop paying. She will lose the service and they will hold her liable until the end of the contract. However the debt will then be classed as a non priority as Sky only have limited powers to recover the money. You can seek more advice on how to deal with the debt (and any others she may have) from one of the free debt advice agencies.

The important thing at the moment is your friend can afford the essentials like food and her rent/mortgage. Has she sought any advice on her benefits situation? It's really important to try and get those reinstated if she has no other source of income. In the short term she may also need to use a foodbank, you can find her closest one here https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    • 12,652 Posts
    • 11,985 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    Tell her to stop paying it if she can’t afford it, it’s a non priority debt.

The service will be lost but the debt can be repaid at her leisure.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Raven42
    • By Raven42 5th Dec 17, 9:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Raven42
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 AM
    The only thing I ever did with Sky is state how much I liked their loyalty scheme but I was moving to an address which already had their brilliant excellent sky, they called it "mothballing" for 5 pounds a month. Maybe worth a shot but if it's already on record you tried to quit it they may not go for it.

Maybe mention the current loyalty scheme and state how much, when you're ready to you want to come back as a current customer.
    Last edited by Raven42; 05-12-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    • sazaboo
    • By sazaboo 5th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    sazaboo
    sky just offered me a new 12 month contract at £10 which was cheaper than the cost to terminate - push them a bit more. I had a reduction in my income due to a mental health issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,747Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter