Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 27th Nov 17, 4:40 PM
    • 698Posts
    • 555Thanks
    UKParliament
    MPs are debating university tuition fees
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:40 PM
    MPs are debating university tuition fees 27th Nov 17 at 4:40 PM

MPs are debating an e-petition relating to university tuition fees.

The petition wants to 'change the University fees from £9250 back to the £3000 fee for the UK.' Read the full text of the petition here.

Watch the debate on Parliament TV.

Read the official report of what was said in the debate
    Last edited by UKParliament; 28-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 28th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 19,714 Posts
    • 31,863 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    I wish there wasn't a huge issue about this. Tuition fees most of the time are loaned in full. They do not create a financial barrier to anyone wanting to go to University. They do create a psychological barrier in some people, who are frightened of the number involved.

What does stop people going to University, is the issue surrounding the maintenance loan. Based on the household income of the house the prospective student lives in, it creates an issue when parents can't or won't contribute and the student hasn't got enough money to pay rent or live on. It isn't made clear to parents that this is the case and even though I knew it due to being a member on this site for many years, the actual cost of the halls of residence at the place we looked at this weekend for my eldest, has come as a shock to the system.

This is what I would like to see in the media and campaigned about, at the very least more transparency of the way the maintenance loan is worked out and the actual cost of student living not tuition.
    Last edited by Spendless; 28-11-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 28th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 19,855 Posts
    • 14,939 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    They really should stop messing around with the scheme every 3-4 years. It just creates more and more confusion.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 1st Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    I wish there wasn't a huge issue about this. Tuition fees most of the time are loaned in full. They do not create a financial barrier to anyone wanting to go to University. They do create a psychological barrier in some people, who are frightened of the number involved.

What does stop people going to University, is the issue surrounding the maintenance loan. Based on the household income of the house the prospective student lives in, it creates an issue when parents can't or won't contribute and the student hasn't got enough money to pay rent or live on. It isn't made clear to parents that this is the case and even though I knew it due to being a member on this site for many years, the actual cost of the halls of residence at the place we looked at this weekend for my eldest, has come as a shock to the system.

This is what I would like to see in the media and campaigned about, at the very least more transparency of the way the maintenance loan is worked out and the actual cost of student living not tuition.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    That's nothing new though.

I was at university in the 70s with a couple of people whose parents wouldn't contribute so they'd had to work for 3 years to achieve independent student status. It wasn't the end if the world and, in some ways, was a positive.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 19,714 Posts
    • 31,863 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    That's nothing new though.

I was at university in the 70s with a couple of people whose parents wouldn't contribute so they'd had to work for 3 years to achieve independent student status. It wasn't the end if the world and, in some ways, was a positive.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    More people go now so more people are affected. It therefore needs to be made clearer to people that this is the situation so it can be planned for several years ahead. Too many people are discovering this too late. I only discovered what you've written within the last year, neither myself or my husband went to Uni, this is true of many parents. If you don't know from your own background, then you increase the chances of not knowing until your offspring look in to applying. I heard yet again last week of another friend telling her child they could only go to somewhere local as they couldn't afford to contribute (same circs as myself, mum and dad never gone to Uni, so only recently discovered the situation concerning maintainance loans)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

430Posts Today

2,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin