Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• GLM71093
    • By GLM71093 27th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Newborn- What to get/ not to get?
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    Newborn- What to get/ not to get? 27th Nov 17 at 4:25 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my first child and have only brought a few things in preparation when I have seen some really good deals on.

I know we need a moses basket (or something similar), car seat, pram, cot etc, but is there anything that people would recommend definitely buying before I have my baby? Or anything that people think really is a waste of money?

I would like to be prepared and have what i will need for the first month or so as my OH wont be able to have much time off work once baby is here however I don't want to waste my money on things I don't need.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated so much.

Thank you in advance x
Page 2
    • Glad
    • By Glad 9th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 17,932 Posts
    • 39,118 Thanks
    Hi GLM congratulations on your pregnancy

have you read the following MSE article on the main site?

Baby Checklist
    50+ tips 'n' tricks to save with a baby or toddler
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • happybunny86
    • By happybunny86 30th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    Swaddling blankets / sleeping bags - most people I know found their newborn needed swaddling and as soon as they are big enough progressed to a sleeping bag. The sleeping bags come in different togs like a duvet but are a lot safer.

Something to sleep in - we inherited a Moses basket but our little boy hated it. We ended up getting a sleepyhead second hand which he loved and made a brilliant travel cot. I do think the something to sleep in if you already have a Moses basket then wait until the baby is born like we did as they might be fine in the Moses basket and you wonít need anything else. They seem to either love or hate space!

Cot / cot bed - not needed till a couple of months in but you can save money in the long run by buying a cot bed if you plan to have your next child 2+ years apart. They usually go into a bed anywhere 18 months plus.

Food - I would bother with any of the feeding stuff if youíre going to try and breastfeed. Donít waste money on a breast pump until you know you will need it. We did buy some bottles just in case we ended up giving some formula and didnít seem a waste as most people end up doing some expressing if they breast feed. If you boy the mans self sterilising bottles you save money and a lot of space as you can sterilise them in the microwave. They are fab.

Most places have sling libraries now so if youíre considering getting a sling wait until your little one is born and go to the local sling library. Then you can try different ones on and find something you both like and theyíll let you borrow it for a bit to see how you get on with it.

You will need some form of pram and car seat depending where you live. These are pretty much essential but you can get car seats that convert from birth upwards which are brilliant. Or depending how much you travel out that clip straight into the pram.

My little boy loves Euan the sheep too because as I mentioned we struggled with sleeping. We got a second hand one for £10 off Facebook market place but none of this is essential prior to birth Iíd see how you go and get it after.

Duvet / cot bumper - even know at 15 months our boy is in sleeping bags and you arenít meant to put anything in the cot pre 12 months so we never put the bumper up. Itís gone to the charity shop today. Totally waste of money.

Clothes - under 6 months you are changing their nappies so much they live in nice babygros. They also look pretty uncomfortable in proper clothes. We didnít have any clothes which fit our little one when he was born as I bought 0-3 and even though he was late he was in first size. Might be worth having a pack of first size in stand by and you can always get someone to take it back if you donít use it.

Feel free to DM if you want to chat or have any questions. Itís such an exciting time!
    Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE!
    • kjn1000
    • By kjn1000 2nd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    NCT sales are amazing, not just for newborn bits but for older babies and kids too. I swear by them and hand me downs. I am not a memeber and never will be ablke to afford to be so just make sure you get to the sales early, the items are all checked over and normally very good standard.

Good luck with everything, my baby is now a 1 year old, it flies by!!
    • Caroline Parker
    • By Caroline Parker 7th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Caroline Parker
    What about a nursing pillow and a diaper bag? They are so needed. I am expecting to have my baby in a few months and already got them for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,000Posts Today

7,144Users online

Martin's Twitter