Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stephenbanbury
    • By stephenbanbury 27th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stephenbanbury
    Problem with Debt letter
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    Problem with Debt letter 27th Nov 17 at 1:53 PM
    Hi every one, i have be having a very very long desput with Npower, i have changed suppliers about a year ago and now got sent a letter from a company Wescot saying i own money on behalf of a company called Npower Northern Ltd, the gas company i used was called Npower Gas Ltd from all my old letters and also they have given me a client Ref number that doz not match any of my old gas bills. any help would be great on this thank you
    Last edited by stephenbanbury; 27-11-2017 at 2:18 PM.
Page 1
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 27th Nov 17, 2:22 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scilly
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:22 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:22 PM
    I had a dispute with NPower also, it took me months to sort out but when I went ranting on Twitter I, all of a sudden, got appointed a special contact who fixed the issue for me! They ended up giving me a refund (which I knew I was due) .... only to be sent a letter (from an automated computer) telling me I owed them that amount! Oh how I laughed.... then got on Twitter & did the same! IF you can, go public! Especially if you're endlessly having to go back to them!
    You could also try the Ombudsman, BUT keep paying they say you owe them (if you do).
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 27th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    • 12,681 Posts
    • 12,024 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    Hi every one, i have be having a very very long desput with Npower, i have changed suppliers about a year ago and now got sent a letter from a company Wescot saying i own money on behalf of a company called Npower Northern Ltd, the gas company i used was called Npower Gas Ltd from all my old letters and also they have given me a client Ref number that doz not match any of my old gas bills. any help would be great on this thank you
    Originally posted by stephenbanbury
    Hi,

As with any debt you don't recognize, the first thing you do is ask the company concerned to send you proof you owe the debt, you do that by sending the following letter, adapted to your situation :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

The debt collector must provide proof of liability, on request, otherwise they must desist in contacting you about the matter.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 27-11-2017 at 4:02 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • stephenbanbury
    • By stephenbanbury 30th Nov 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stephenbanbury
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:34 PM
    Response i got back
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:34 PM
    Hi guys, this was the response i got back form them:

I note the contents of your email and acknowledge you dispute you may owe any monies relating to this account.

However the wording of your email is taken from what has become a standard document freely available on the internet which contains no legal standing in any points you raise. Accordingly all points are refuted as having no basis in law or relevance to the issues in this matter. We will not enter into any claim for damages and any legal proceedings commenced will be defended by Wescot.

As requested, we have asked our client to provide us with documents to show your liability. Your account is now held awaiting their response and we will issue this upon receipt.

We can also advise that Wescot Credit Services are not a credit reference agency, and as such, we have not supplied any information with regards to your credit status to any of the credit reference bureaux. Therefore, queries of this kind need to be directed to our client, Npower Northern Ltd.
  • National Debtline
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    Hi Stephen

Looking on Npower's website, Npower Northern Ltd and Npower Gas Ltd both come under the Npower trademark. It also states Npower Northern Ltd act as an agent for Npower Northern Supply Ltd for the supply of electricity. That might suggest Wescot are pursuing you for an electricity debt, although it's unclear.

You mention a long dispute with Npower, is that over a gas bill? And is the disputed amount the same as the amount Wescot are now asking you for, or different?

If you can give a little more information about your dispute you should be able to get some helpful advice from the forum. In general terms if you have a complaint you should follow Npower's complaints procedure, and if you are not satisfied with the response contact the Energy Ombudsman Service. If the debt is with a debt collection agency (DCA) like Westcott, you can ask them to put the account on hold until the complaint has been resolved.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

3,451Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin