Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 27th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 576Posts
    • 165Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Problems with Skoda and warranty claim?
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    Problems with Skoda and warranty claim? 27th Nov 17 at 1:27 PM
    I bought a brand new Skoda Octavia VRS in 2016. Collected the car on 29/03/16 so car is on a 16 plate.

Ive had the following issues and mentioned them at the first service in Feb this year. Skoda wouldn't even entertain a warranty claim at that point. Fast forward to last week and the car is in for its second service @ 20k miles. The problems listed below have got progressively worse over the course of this year:

Centre cap corrosion x 4

Wheel corrosion x 1

The main issue I have is that on 3 of the four seats there is stitching coming apart.

I had the car in with the dealer for a service and a look at the bits above and this was their response.....

Centre caps: yes there is corrosion but not enough to replace under warranty ??

wheel : yes there is corrosion but there is also signs of kerbing on the wheel : (Its not even in the same vicinity)

Seats : To be monitored? what does that mean??

Ive got Skoda uk involved as Im not happy to be honest and I was just wondering if any of you have had to get Skoda involved in warranty cases?

If so did it help at all?

One of the suggestions was to take it to a different dealer, problem is all of the dealers locally are part of the same franchise.

I dont feel its acceptable to have these issues on a car less than two years old. It screams of poor quality to me.

What can I do?
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 27th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 3,094 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    My personal opinion - it's a Skoda (albeit a better Skoda than their historic past but still the budget end of the VW group) and the issues are cosmetic.

If you want it sorting that's dubious under the letter of the warranty you'll need the dealer onside - I suspect all these items fall outside of the letter of the warranty
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 27th Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    I bought a brand new Skoda Octavia VRS in 2016. Collected the car on 29/03/16 so car is on a 16 plate.

Ive had the following issues and mentioned them at the first service in Feb this year. Skoda wouldn't even entertain a warranty claim at that point. Fast forward to last week and the car is in for its second service @ 20k miles. The problems listed below have got progressively worse over the course of this year:

Centre cap corrosion x 4

Wheel corrosion x 1

The main issue I have is that on 3 of the four seats there is stitching coming apart.

I had the car in with the dealer for a service and a look at the bits above and this was their response.....

Centre caps: yes there is corrosion but not enough to replace under warranty ??

wheel : yes there is corrosion but there is also signs of kerbing on the wheel : (Its not even in the same vicinity)

Seats : To be monitored? what does that mean??

Ive got Skoda uk involved as Im not happy to be honest and I was just wondering if any of you have had to get Skoda involved in warranty cases?

If so did it help at all?

One of the suggestions was to take it to a different dealer, problem is all of the dealers locally are part of the same franchise.

I dont feel its acceptable to have these issues on a car less than two years old. It screams of poor quality to me.

What can I do?
    Originally posted by bikingbarney
    They will log the fault with Skoda and the date and monitor the fault,if the seats get worse they should have the problem sorted through warranty even if the warranty has run out.
    Well that is how we used to do it with Ford New Holland ( tractor dealers ).
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 27th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    My personal opinion - it's a Skoda (albeit a better Skoda than their historic past but still the budget end of the VW group) and the issues are cosmetic.

If you want it sorting that's dubious under the letter of the warranty you'll need the dealer onside - I suspect all these items fall outside of the letter of the warranty
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    To be fair Skoda or not you would expect a warranty to actually mean something. Especially on such a new car.
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 27th Nov 17, 1:38 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:38 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:38 PM
    They will log the fault with Skoda and the date and monitor the fault,if the seats get worse they should have the problem sorted through warranty even if the warranty has run out.
    Well that is how we used to do it with Ford New Holland ( tractor dealers ).
    Originally posted by Ganga
    The problem with this is I suspect that they are waiting until the last service and end of warranty to quote "wear and tear".

Its obviously only going to get worse so why wait?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 27th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    The alloys shouldn't and the seats definitely shouldn't. Mazda had a similar issue on the MK3 MX5 with their alloys. They were replaced under warranty. Ford had a similar problem with the centre caps, they were still replacing them on cars out of warranty. I had a problem with the paint coming off the Ford badge on the boot of my Mondeo and Ford replace those up to 10 years old.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 27th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    force ten
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    Centre cap corrosion x 4

Wheel corrosion x 1
    all issues around the wheels, have you been cleaning the car yourself and what products have you been using to clean the wheels or have you been taking the car to a local car wash
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 27th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    all issues around the wheels, have you been cleaning the car yourself and what products have you been using to clean the wheels or have you been taking the car to a local car wash
    Originally posted by force ten

Hi. The car has never been through a car wash.

I have always used a pH neutral shampoo and never any harsh wheel cleaners.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 27th Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    Kia have/had a similar problem wheels. My wife’s car had all four wheels replaced twice.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 27th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    force ten
    Hi. The car has never been through a car wash.

I have always used a pH neutral shampoo and never any harsh wheel cleaners.
    if that is the case then they should look at it as a warranty claim, but looking at what the dealer has said about the kerbed wheel you are going to have a fight on your hands
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 28th Nov 17, 11:37 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Its really frustrating.

You buy a new car with a comprehensive warranty and they still try and wriggle out of doing anything.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 28th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    m0bov
    How did you pay for the car? Is the dealer the one that sold you the car?
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 28th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Its a different dealership to where I bought the car from.

The dealer who sold it me was in Scotland and the dealer who wont warranty it is in Reading.

Dealer in Reading is part of a franchise who own all of the local skoda dealers.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 29th Nov 17, 11:03 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    deanos
    Kia have/had a similar problem wheels. My wife’s car had all four wheels replaced twice.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    they replace without quibble though don't they up to 7 years old

i have a Sportage 6 years old, center caps corroded replaced no quibble, leather seat had tear replaced without quibble
    • TheMoonandBack
    • By TheMoonandBack 30th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    TheMoonandBack
    I have had similar claims with Skoda in the past. I had a new windscreen under warranty as it was delaminating and the black area was turning white.
    I had no issues, the dealer agreed it was manufacturing defects and it was done free to me under warranty.
    The dealer did go over the screen with a magnifying glass and took photos, they said Skoda would not accept the claim if there was even the slightest damage. I was told that even though the screen had a defect they would not pay if there was even a tiny stone chip anywhere on the screen..
    I think you are right to go to Skoda customer services, they will make sure the dealer does the right thing.
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on

Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 30th Nov 17, 10:01 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Ive just had a missed call from Skoda UK.

The update is that the service chap I spoke to on the desk is on annual leave until Monday so they will speak to him then and update me on Tuesday.

Im not sure what exactly it has to do with the service desk chap as surely it cant be him that authorizes warranty work ??
    • TheMoonandBack
    • By TheMoonandBack 30th Nov 17, 10:49 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    TheMoonandBack

The update is that the service chap I spoke to on the desk is on annual leave until Monday so they will speak to him then and update me on Tuesday.

Im not sure what exactly it has to do with the service desk chap as surely it cant be him that authorizes warranty work ??
    They will want to speak with him/her and get their facts straight before making any decisions.

Being very cynical myself, and having previously worked as a service chap for VW/Audi, it suits the manufacturer to :
    A) not do it under warranty as it saves them money
    B) If they have to do it, do it as late as possible so when the fault reoccurs the vehicle is out of warranty. (This can be to the customers advantage as well if they are keeping it longer than the warranty period).

They will equally have no qualms about hanging a dealer, and especially the individual staff member, out to dry. By getting them to do all the hard conversations about not making warranty repairs, then back tracking when the customer kicks off, and starts mentioning buying other brands, writing to the press etc.
    Last edited by TheMoonandBack; 30-11-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on

Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 30th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    They will want to speak with him/her and get their facts straight before making any decisions.

Being very cynical myself, and having previously worked as a service chap for VW/Audi, it suits the manufacturer to :
    A) not do it under warranty as it saves them money
    B) If they have to do it, do it as late as possible so when the fault reoccurs the vehicle is out of warranty. (This can be to the customers advantage as well if they are keeping it longer than the warranty period).

They will equally have no qualms about hanging a dealer, and especially the individual staff member, out to dry. By getting them to do all the hard conversations about not making warranty repairs, then back tracking when the customer kicks off, and starts mentioning buying other brands, writing to the press etc.
    Originally posted by TheMoonandBack

The service desk chap wasnt the person I showed around the car pointing out the problems though?

Im quite happy to sit outside the dealership one day with a banner saying speak to me before buying !!
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 30th Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    IanMSpencer

Presumably, they simply want to get their story straight, especially if you are suggesting that the dealership are not meeting their warranty obligations. The guy at the dealership will presumably have seen the car and Skoda will want the dealer version of the damage.

Doesn't sound like they are being unreasonable.
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 30th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Presumably, they simply want to get their story straight, especially if you are suggesting that the dealership are not meeting their warranty obligations. The guy at the dealership will presumably have seen the car and Skoda will want the dealer version of the damage.

Doesn't sound like they are being unreasonable.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    The person who they are waiting for to return to work hasnt even looked at the car though never mind the issues with it. here is merely the desk jockey in service.

It was the workshop manager that I pointed the issues out to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

450Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin