Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 27th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for mid-trip flights
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for mid-trip flights 27th Nov 17 at 1:01 PM
    Hi, does anyone know of a travel insurance provider who covers delayed or cancelled departure during the trip, i.e. not just from the UK?

I am going on a trip through various countries in S.E. Asia with local flights between a couple of countries, and having tours and accommodation booked after those flights means I could be significantly out of pocket if the flights are disrupted, but neither of my 2 current travel insurance policies cover this, and neither do a couple of others I've looked at so far.

As airlines don't cover consequential losses I'm not sure how to insure for this. I would have thought it was a pretty common scenario people would want to be covered for.

Many thanks!
Page 2
    • richardw
    • By richardw 29th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    • 18,352 Posts
    • 7,590 Thanks
    richardw
    I tend to do as blindman suggests in post nr 10, plan the trip and de-risk it and have a bit of a back up plan. I never book the last flight of the day etc. This kind of planning can keep your trip on schedule if things do go wrong.
    If you want better insurance look at backpacker type policies as Caz3121 suggests.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 13,258 Posts
    • 17,476 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    This is what is says in my policy document...

If you miss a pre-booked onward connection outside of the UK as a direct result of:
    1. delay or cancellation to scheduled public transport services or a connecting scheduled flight; or
    2. accidental damage to, or breakdown of, the vehicle in which you are travelling or an accident or breakdown ahead of you which causes an unexpected delay we will pay for extra travel and accommodation costs you have to pay to reach the next destination outside of the UK as shown on your ticket/itinerary.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 29th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    Are you sure you're reading it right?

eg Nationwide's policy provides the usual cover for the "journey", and they define "journey" as "A journey that begins and ends at your home address...".

Note the and nor or. If a journey begins and ends at your home address, that would imply to me that the entire period from when you leave your home to when you get back is the "journey".

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/P3349_FlexPlus_Worldwide_Family_Travel_Insurance_P olicy.pdf

But even if you're not covered, is it really a big deal? Just book cancellable hotels, often you can cancel up till 6pm on the date of arrival, particularly in more expensive hotels. Also hotels will often waive charges as a goodwill gesture if you're unavoidably delayed, even if they don't have to. (happened to me a couple of times).

For tours, is it really necessary to pre-book, in SE Asia (and other places) I've booked tours when there last minute, and on one occasion I spoke to someone who'd pre-booked and he'd paid 4 times the price I had!!! Even if you do want to pre-book, it should be quite easy to find tours with reasonable (or zero) cancellation fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin