Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 27th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for mid-trip flights
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for mid-trip flights 27th Nov 17 at 1:01 PM
    Hi, does anyone know of a travel insurance provider who covers delayed or cancelled departure during the trip, i.e. not just from the UK?

I am going on a trip through various countries in S.E. Asia with local flights between a couple of countries, and having tours and accommodation booked after those flights means I could be significantly out of pocket if the flights are disrupted, but neither of my 2 current travel insurance policies cover this, and neither do a couple of others I've looked at so far.

As airlines don't cover consequential losses I'm not sure how to insure for this. I would have thought it was a pretty common scenario people would want to be covered for.

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 27th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    have a look at backpacker type insurance such as worldnomads
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 27th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    You could seek out insurance cover for this, but I'd suggest a better solution is to change your expectations.

If you're using low cost carriers in SE Asia you will experience delays, cancellations etc, you should build flexibility into your schedule to account for this. Some carriers will simply change the schedule rather than delay the flight, even on the day of travel - you will struggle to find cover for that as it isn't technically a delay.

That said I've used Asian LCCs a lot and have very rarely experienced significant delays. I did once spend 3 hours queuing for immigration, that's yet another scenario you won't be able to get cover for...
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 28th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    You could seek out insurance cover for this, but I'd suggest a better solution is to change your expectations.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Appreciate what you're saying for 'that kind of trip' but this isn't that kind of trip. And it's also a more general issue as I take trips like this 2 - 3 times a year all over the world (usually not using low cost carriers). At the least you have to book somewhere to stay for the night you are supposed to arrive.

Fortunately I've been lucky in the past and I'd never even considered it as a potential problem, but I got to thinking about it as some friends of mine have recently been on a trip where they were delayed by 48 hours due to some sort of impromptu crew dispute, thereby losing out on AI accommodation they had booked, (I googled it and it was over £1k per night!) plus an expensive excursion on the second day. Instead they were put up in a cheap motel, had to pay for their own food and drink (apart from a token fast food meal on the first night) and had to spend all of the second day in the airport. Apparently they cannot even reclaim their extra expenses, let alone the losses.

If such insurance really doesn't exist, fair enough, just seems a bit odd that you can routinely insure for cancellation, baggage, delay etc. at the start of a trip, but should have to expect to potentially lose £1000s once the trip has started.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 28th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 36,210 Posts
    • 153,068 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    Interesting as I've just traveled round South America with a similar scenario. All accommodation pre-booked in relatively expensive hotels, I never really thought about whether my insurance would cover me for delays. I was using national carriers rather than low cost airlines, but still delays in arrival would have impacted on the holiday.

My insurance is an annual policy provided as part of my bank account, I don;t know if that would have made a difference.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 28th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,023 Thanks
    blindman
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    If such insurance really doesn't exist, fair enough, just seems a bit odd that you can routinely insure for cancellation, baggage, delay etc. at the start of a trip, but should have to expect to potentially lose £1000s once the trip has started.
    Originally posted by NervyBuyer
    Hi

I think you have found the "only" advantage of booking a package trip as opposed to DIY.

The former would cover you for delay\missed nights etc. whilst AFAIK there is no comparable cover in any DIY insurance.

Is there an insurance option when you book with the LCC that may cover this?
    Is there an insurance option with the tours for no show etc?

Sure I've seen such options when booking in the past-I always say no...)

Why have you got 2 travel insurances??
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 28th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    My insurance is an annual policy provided as part of my bank account, I don;t know if that would have made a difference.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    So is mine.
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 28th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    Hi

I think you have found the "only" advantage of booking a package trip as opposed to DIY.

Why have you got 2 travel insurances??
    Originally posted by blindman
    How would you make a claim when booking as part of a package? Is that covered by insurance, or the package operator themselves?

I have my own rolling, annual insurance through my bank but my employer also provides travel insurance by default which covers leisure travel as well.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    richardw
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    ...neither of my 2 current travel insurance policies cover this, and neither do a couple of others I've looked at so far......
    What sort of exclusion phrases do these policies have written in them?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 28th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,023 Thanks
    blindman
    How would you make a claim when booking as part of a package? Is that covered by insurance, or the package operator themselves?
    As I have not bought a package for the last 40 years I'm guessing it would be the package operator.

When I DIY a trip I build in things like cancellable hotels and if I'm on tours (very unlikely) again I look for cancellation terms that would fit for a delay in arrival.
    I also build in delays due to unexpected transport delays.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 28th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by richardw
    That's what I was wondering. I've scanned through my policy and I can't see anything obvious that would specifically exclude mid-trip flights.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 28th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    '...to or from the policy holder's country of residence...' in bold, in all the relevant parts of the policy.

Happy to hear of policies without this!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 28th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

I have my own rolling, annual insurance through my bank but my employer also provides travel insurance by default which covers leisure travel as well.
    If it's a package them it's down to the tour operator to sort it out any cancelled flights but they're not responsible for missed excursions etc. because of flight disruption, unless they were booked as part of the package.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    richardw
    '...to or from the policy holder's country of residence...'..
    That's about the trip starting point.

Where does it say excursions during the trip are excluded?
    Last edited by richardw; 28-11-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 28th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Which bank is the policy from?

Some of my trips include multiple flights with several days or weeks in between. I wouldn't regard any of them as excursions, just part of the journey.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 28-11-2017 at 4:48 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 28th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    That's about the trip starting point.

Where does it say excursions during the trip are excluded?
    This is in the sections covering Cancellation/curtailment and Travel Delay. It is specified that cover is only provided for the original journey out of the country of residence (and curtailment to the country of residence).

There are no other sections of the policies which cover for the policy holder not taking (part of) the booked trip.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 28th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,023 Thanks
    blindman
    If it's a package them it's down to the tour operator to sort it out any cancelled flights but they're not responsible for missed excursions etc. because of flight disruption, unless they were booked as part of the package.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    That's what I was inferring when I mean "package"
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 28th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 36,210 Posts
    • 153,068 Thanks
    silvercar
    Amex card covers you for upto £200 for flight delays, they also have a 24 hour global assistance to help.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    richardw
    This is in the sections covering Cancellation/curtailment and Travel Delay. It is specified that cover is only provided for the original journey out of the country of residence (and curtailment to the country of residence).....
    Yes that's cover for cancellation/curtailment at the start of the trip. When the trip has started successfully then this cover no longer applies.

What does your policy say regarding cover for delays/cancellations to other flights as part of the trip?
    • NervyBuyer
    • By NervyBuyer 29th Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NervyBuyer
    Yes that's cover for cancellation/curtailment at the start of the trip. When the trip has started successfully then this cover no longer applies.

What does your policy say regarding cover for delays/cancellations to other flights as part of the trip?

The same thing - all delay, disruption, cancellation sections stipulate 'country of residence' or even 'United Kingdom'. There is no separate section with different conditions for post-departure travel (apart from return home).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter