Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dalo
    • By dalo 27th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 31Thanks
    dalo
    Gym membership help with complaint.
    • 27th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    Gym membership help with complaint. 27th Nov 17 at 12:06 PM
    Hi this probably could be in a few different sections but i'll try and explain best I can

I signed up to a 'cheap'ish local branch of a big chain gym in July. I signed up for 12 months. Since I've been there I think there have been 4 managers?

Anyway, last Friday, the newist of managers decided to send a mail shot round to the members of the gym, Black Friday offer, only he didn't BCC us all he left all our email addresses in the To:line, so now my email address is visible to all 200+ member and vice versa.

I am fuming about this as this is a breach of data protection. I called the manager, was told he'd call back, emailed him, left messages on social media for them, Nothing! I've emailed the head office now but I can't find a telephone number anywhere to call.

I really want to just cancel my direct debit and be done with them but worried they will chase me etc. Is there anywhere I can complain to re the data breach? I'm very frustrated now and getting angrier by the hour!
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 27th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 16,363 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    Do they have a complaints procedure? I would suggest that you find out how to start an official complaint. You may be able to come to a solution through that? Or failing that you will need a full and final response from them.

Then finally ??
    Information Commissioners Office
    https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/

However the ICO will only look into things after you have tried to sort it I think.
    Last edited by indesisiv; 27-11-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 27th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    An apology and maybe a free month would be fair.
    Cancelling a contract for an admin mistake, I think is unlikely.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 27th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    The contract you have agreed to with them and the data breach are two separate things. The data issue is not a valid reason for early termination of the contract.

They have made a mistake, I don’t quite understand why you would be “fuming”, mildly annoyed I understand, but fuming over something so trivial is an extreme overreaction. I’m assuming you are not perfect and have made mistakes both in your personal life and in your profession, that’s all this is. Now you’ve made them aware you have no reason to believe it will happen again and you have suffered no actual loss by your email address being included in a long list, a list that possibly nobody else has even paid attention to and noticed.

You can complain to the ICO however this is a minor breach and relatively trivial compared to the serious cases they deal with, as long as the company agree it will never happen again I highly doubt they’d even consider looking into it.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 4th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    What do you think anyone is going to do with your 'stolen' email address?

I'd get over it and move on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin