Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kt1inamillion
    • By kt1inamillion 27th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    • 129Posts
    • 78Thanks
    kt1inamillion
    Help with cake filling
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    Help with cake filling 27th Nov 17 at 10:27 AM
    Morning All...

I thought this may get the best response here but if needs be please move to the food boards.

I need to make a baby shower cake. It will be chocolate sponge but I am having issues with the filling. The person doesn't like buttercream and whipped cream is possibly out due to how it needs to be decorated.

The person says they are happy with jam filling but I feel they may just be saying this so wanted to come up with some other ideas (if there are any). I was going to suggest cream cheese frosting but this is not to far from buttercream.

Does anyone have ideas they could share pretty please?

I am also doing cupcakes before anyone suggests them and I have them sorted.
Page 2
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 27th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Is the person's issue with buttercream that they don't like the taste or they don't like the texture?

If taste, then something like cream cheese or ganache would work.

If it is texture, it'll have to be something like jam which is totally different.

I have made a chocolate peanut butter icing for chocolate sponge cakes (melted chocolate, butter, smooth peanut butter) which tastes gorgeous and is salty enough to give a nice contrast, but the texture is somewhere between ganache and buttercream so if it is a texture issue that won't help. Also of course you'd have to make sure there were no peanut allergies amongst the guests.
    • kt1inamillion
    • By kt1inamillion 27th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    kt1inamillion
    Is the person's issue with buttercream that they don't like the taste or they don't like the texture?

If taste, then something like cream cheese or ganache would work.

If it is texture, it'll have to be something like jam which is totally different.

I have made a chocolate peanut butter icing for chocolate sponge cakes (melted chocolate, butter, smooth peanut butter) which tastes gorgeous and is salty enough to give a nice contrast, but the texture is somewhere between ganache and buttercream so if it is a texture issue that won't help. Also of course you'd have to make sure there were no peanut allergies amongst the guests.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    Think peanuts may be a tad risky because I'd be worried of little kids eating it that may not know they have an allergy, but a good idea thanks you.
    • devildog
    • By devildog 27th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    devildog
    One of the fillings I use in a chocolate cake is coconut oil(solid type bought in a jar) mixed with dessicated coconut. Almost ends up tasting like a Bounty in a cake
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 27th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 7,972 Thanks
    Callie22
    I'd go for chocolate ganache with some tart jam - either apricot or black cherry - just so it isn't too rich.
    • Lucyxx
    • By Lucyxx 27th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Lucyxx
    Chocolate and raspberry go together well ....how about a topping of raspberries glazed with recurrant/raspberry jelly?
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    My immediate thought was chocolate and raspberry too!

Something like a raspberry conserve would be lovely. I think the one I used was an Asda - whatever their premium own range is called. I really fancy cake now
    • kt1inamillion
    • By kt1inamillion 28th Nov 17, 9:29 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    kt1inamillion
    My immediate thought was chocolate and raspberry too!

Something like a raspberry conserve would be lovely. I think the one I used was an Asda - whatever their premium own range is called. I really fancy cake now
    Originally posted by Lucyxx
    I also want cake now but am REALLY trying to behave and resist
    • Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 28th Nov 17, 12:59 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    As a cake decorator, I'd avoid using a cream cheese base, I've never found it stable enough to hold sugar paste and then it will slip and slid off the cake

A chocolate ganache will over the most stable surface if you can't use a butter cream.
    • kt1inamillion
    • By kt1inamillion 28th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    kt1inamillion
    As a cake decorator, I'd avoid using a cream cheese base, I've never found it stable enough to hold sugar paste and then it will slip and slid off the cake

A chocolate ganache will over the most stable surface if you can't use a butter cream.
    Originally posted by Soundgirlrocks
    Thanks for the advice. Never would of known that but after you saying and thinking about it I can understand why.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 29th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    krlyr
    To be honest, if I was paying for a cake and said I was happy with jam as the filling, I'd be expecting jam as the filling..

If you feel it needs a little extra for taste purposes, how about serving with a jug of ganache or a bowl of whipped cream that people can add to their plate when they take a slice?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,257Users online

Martin's Twitter