Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 7,897Posts
    • 1,839Thanks
    50Twuncle
    EON Standard tariff but..
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    EON Standard tariff but.. 27th Nov 17 at 10:13 AM
    My aged parents in law are on EONS standard rate tariff - which, I understand is soon to go - but only for those on Smart Meters and fixed deals ...
    They are on a Standard variable rate tariff on a NORMAL meter - not a fixed deal - so I am assuming that their expensive tariff will continue ?
    They will not change (we have tried to explain the "benefits" of changing suppliers and/or tariffs - but they won't budge !)
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 27th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    • 17,484 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    molerat
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    Have you explained in £s per month / week ? You can lead a horse to water .............
    Last edited by molerat; 27-11-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 28th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    Have you explained in £s per month / week ? You can lead a horse to water .............
    Originally posted by molerat
    https://www.eonenergy.com/blog/2017/September/goodbye-standard-variable-tariff?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjryXl__g1wIVxZ3tCh0QYgNSE AAYASACEgKxzvD_BwE

Yes of course we have - but they prefer to stay with E.on despite everything telling them to change (tariffs at least)
    I believe that being on a fixed tariff scares them for some reason - despite explaining to them - they believe that they are tying themselves in to a contract for years with massive exit fees !!
    Can someone please confirm that this only affects those on smart meters and pre-payment meters ?
    It only affects those who actively want to change as well - which, to me - is NOT good enough
    How many similar to my in-laws are there out there - being ripped off for years - yet being unwilling to change for various reasons ?
    They should be put on the cheapest tariff by default - unless they actively request to stay on the rip off tariff....
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    Morning 50Twuncle,

Your parents in law can stay on the standard tariff, if that's what they'd like to do.

As you know, they could probably save some money by changing on to a different tariff.

They don't need to be in a contract for years, as we have one year tariffs available at the moment and you don't pay an exit fee at all when moving from one E.ON tariff to another.

It may be worth having a look at the tariffs on the online account with them, so they can see what might be better for them.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 28th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    Morning 50Twuncle,

Your parents in law can stay on the standard tariff, if that's what they'd like to do.

As you know, they could probably save some money by changing on to a different tariff.

They don't need to be in a contract for years, as we have one year tariffs available at the moment and you don't pay an exit fee at all when moving from one E.ON tariff to another.

It may be worth having a look at the tariffs on the online account with them, so they can see what might be better for them.

Thank you

Helena
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    I am aware of all of the above - it is my aged relatives that are stuck in their ways
    Could you please tell me - why, the default is not to change to cheapest tariff - rather than staying put ?
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    I am aware of all of the above - it is my aged relatives that are stuck in their ways
    Could you please tell me - why, the default is not to change to cheapest tariff - rather than staying put ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I understand 50Twuncle,

It's really because we can't enter customers in to a contractual tariff without them agreeing to it first and understanding the terms and conditions.

We also let customers know if they could pay less on bills, statements and annual summaries.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 28th Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    But surely if you are closing down standard variable accounts for some (pre paid meters etc) - you can do it for all.?
    And automatically put ALL customers on to the cheapest deal ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 28-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 28th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    This is how they keep cheap tariffs available to the rest of us. They need their profit margins & frankly don't care if it comes from the most vulnerable in society or a millionaire. This may sound harsh but business is business & energy suppliers are businesses.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 28th Nov 17, 12:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:38 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:38 PM
    There is no "but" the problem is simply down to your in-laws paranoia and ignorance. You are expecting their supplier to protect your inheritance for you when like all businesses, they need to return a profit for their shareholders. Your in-laws have already been informed about various cheaper tariffs available to them without the need to change supplier but they obviously do not want to change from the standard variable tariff. The suppliers representative has fully explained the situation to you even though your in-laws content with their standard tariff.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 28th Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    It's also worth noting, that as well as there being no penalty for switching tariffs internally at E.ON, there are three tariffs on offer from them that have no exit fees at all (Cap and track, 1 year fix v22 and 2 year v11). Not the best they offer, but still better than SVR.

I don't see why they would be worried about exit fees anyway, if they've no interest in switching. Still, if they insist on subsidising my cheap E.ON tariff, I'm not going to complain.
    • Sosumi
    • By Sosumi 28th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Sosumi

You are expecting their supplier to protect your inheritance for you
    Originally posted by thorganby
    Nice one, thorganby.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 28th Nov 17, 3:40 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Hello Rubideum / Cameltoe/ Espresso etc good to have you back with yet another identity......
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    No, I'm Sparticus!

Seriously though, who?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 28th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    House Martin
    No, I'm Sparticus!

Seriously though, who?
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    This poster , Espresso/Cameltoe/Rubidium/ Thorganby and now highly likely Sosumi as well I believe have all been the very same poster who keeps cropping up making some unfriendly posts and has been for years.
    He s even thanking himself with a different username IMO
    This was quite an uncalled for comment intimating that the OP was "protecting his inheritance "in regards to trying to get his in laws simply to abandon expensive standard variable tariffs.
    Last edited by House Martin; 28-11-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 28th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    This poster , Espresso, Cameltoe, Rubidium and now Thorganby and now highly likely Sosumi keep cropping up making unfreindly posts and has been for years.
    This was quite an uncalled for comment intimating the OP was "protecting his inheritance "in regards to trying to get his in laws simply to abandon expensive standard variable tariffs
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Ok, fair enough, but I'm not the one that made posts about inheritance. I'm the one who pointed out that E.ON have a few 'no exit fee tariffs' besides the SVT
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 29th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    M
    Ok, fair enough, but I'm not the one that made posts about inheritance. I'm the one who pointed out that E.ON have a few 'no exit fee tariffs' besides the SVT
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    Sorry - my mistake - thats what using a tablet does !!
    I will repost what I meant first time. .
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 29th Nov 17, 8:09 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Nice one, thorganby.
    Originally posted by Sosumi
    Hello Sosumi, Espresso, Rubideum, Cameltoe etc etc etc...
    How / Who are you this fine day ?
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    There is no "but" the problem is simply down to your in-laws paranoia and ignorance. You are expecting their supplier to protect your inheritance for you when like all businesses, they need to return a profit for their shareholders. Your in-laws have already been informed about various cheaper tariffs available to them without the need to change supplier but they obviously do not want to change from the standard variable tariff. The suppliers representative has fully explained the situation to you even though your in-laws content with their standard tariff.
    Originally posted by thorganby
    Isnt that the problem though? Shareholders dividends etc. Sooner we take back these companies into public ownership the better
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 29th Nov 17, 10:18 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    This poster , Espresso/Cameltoe/Rubidium/ Thorganby and now highly likely Sosumi as well I believe have all been the very same poster who keeps cropping up making some unfriendly posts and has been for years.
    This was quite an uncalled for comment intimating that the OP was "protecting his inheritance "in regards to trying to get his in laws simply to abandon expensive standard variable tariffs.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I did not take this thread completely off topic, you and your sidekick have done that. You should apologise, lay off the childish mob rule tactics and stop posting your silly assumptions. Common decency and forum rules apply to you, so if you don't agree with another posters comments then simply ignore them and move on.

You must realise that repeatedly posing libellous comments about myself and other users is simply bad etiquette and you really should know better.

Only last week when you disagreed with one of my comments, you stated that you would ignore my future posts but you just had to chip in with your worthless remarks didn't you, which really is rather sad.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 29th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    Isnt that the problem though? Shareholders dividends etc. Sooner we take back these companies into public ownership the better
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    That is not why this thread was started and I suggest that you start your own thread to discuss privatisation, as it is a totally separate topic unrelated to standard variable tariffs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter