Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doreena
    • By Doreena 27th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Doreena
    Can I rent out my Right To Buy Flat once purchased
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    Can I rent out my Right To Buy Flat once purchased 27th Nov 17 at 9:50 AM
    Hi
    I have purchased my council flat in Manchester on Right To Buy Scheme 6 moths ago. I paid cash so do nor require a mortgage. Can I rent this out privetly
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 28th Nov 17, 1:30 AM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/371572042862286?view=permalink&id=1746345728718237
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Nov 17, 6:13 AM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 55,822 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I'd be very interested to know what evidence you have to support this ridiculous theory.
    I have ex-council properties which I rent out to excellent long term tenants. I've never had any difficulty finding tenants, in fact I usually have several good applicants to choose from.
    The reality is that my tenants specifically choose to rent ex-council properties as they are in the communities they grew up in and they want to stay close to family. They usually would not be eligible for social housing so they are a perfect fit.
    And just for the record I have never acquired any of my properties through Right to Buy - they were already in private ownership when I bought them. In fact my Local Authority now sells all their older housing stock as soon as it falls empty via auction or subsidised housing purchase schemes for first time buyers.
    Originally posted by Mossfarr
    Fifteen years ago we also had an ex-council bungalow that we rented out. The couple who rented it had wanted one of these properties for ages, but were not eligible for one with the council. They stayed for about five years, then were eligible for a sheltered flat, so they took that.

We charged the same rent as the council bungalows.

When we sold it, again, there was people waiting to buy one of these properties and a lady who had sold her house and gone into rental paid cash for it.

So I agree you don't necessarily always get bad tenants in an ex-council place.

The property was one of these: http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/interesting/prefabs/prefabs08x.jpg
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 28-11-2017 at 6:16 AM.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    'Let me tell you this one thing. When you fall out, as you will, don't get blaming each other. Look inside yourself first'. - Hilda Ogden, to Sally on her wedding day to Kevin, Coronation Street 1986. '
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 28th Nov 17, 6:24 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    Ironically it may be possible to rent it back to the council.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 28th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I think that should read so that tenants can see that their car has been propped up on bricks when they get up the next morning.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Do you spend your days off driving around council estates sneering at people?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • DPDRC90
    • By DPDRC90 28th Nov 17, 11:17 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    DPDRC90
    Yes you can but don't expect to get any really good tenants. Good tenants don't rent ex council properties. They prefer to rent properties that have never been owned by any council. So you are going to have to research very carefully the obligations of being a landlord because you are likely to get tenants who don't pay the rent and who wreck the place. If you had wanted a buy to let you should have bought a private property that had never been owned by the council not a council flat. You may find that this particular flat is going to be more trouble to let than it is worth.
    What a load of rubbish. This is nothing more than your opinion that you are trying to pass off as fact.

'Good tenants don't rent ex council properties'... laughable. Plenty of good tenants in my area renting ex council properties. You sound nothing more than a snob.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 28th Nov 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    It all depends on the property and the area. I have very good tenants in an ex-council flat in Southampton, for example.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 28th Nov 17, 11:40 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    caprikid1
    If no one else has I call TROLL !
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 28th Nov 17, 11:43 AM
    • 8,340 Posts
    • 28,001 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 28th Nov 17, 12:09 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    Ah, so council tenant has enough cash to buy council property outright at taxpayer discounted rate, to transfer property into private rental.

Need I continue? You're everything that's wrong and immoral about RTB.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 28th Nov 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I know decent people renting council property.

I know not so decent owners (not ex-council) - think parking out their house believing they own it.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 28th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 4,563 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It all depends on the property and the area. I have very good tenants in an ex-council flat in Southampton, for example.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Southampton is not Manchester. Some of the council estates in the North are huge and have boarded up properties because council tenants don't want to have to live on them. How much do you think they sell for? Who do you think buys them? If council tenants don't want to live on them how on earth does anyone think a private tenant would want to rent there?

The point about the areas around Manchester city centre is that there is plenty of affordable property for working people to rent. There isn't the pressure on housing that there is in some places in the South. Because of the choice of property working people don't need to rent a house on an ex council estate to get an affordable rent. There are areas of council housing in greater Manchester where people won't buy an ex council estate because they can get something as affordable on the open market and they don't want to buy an ex council house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70005674.html This is an ex council house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69992969.html This is not. These houses are really close to each other.

That is just two examples but this situation is repeated all over the area.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 28th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Ah, so council tenant has enough cash to buy council property outright at taxpayer discounted rate, to transfer property into private rental.

Need I continue? You're everything that's wrong and immoral about RTB.
    Originally posted by armchaireconomist
    Nope. Troll claims to want to rent out rtb property bought with cash to provoke responses.

Don't be a mug.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 28th Nov 17, 11:34 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 4,563 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Nope. Troll claims to want to rent out rtb property bought with cash to provoke responses.

Don't be a mug.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    If it is a troll it is an epic fail as a question simply because if you had a lot of cash to buy a house in Manchester you would buy something on the open market rather than a council house because most people wouldn't want to buy a council house if they could afford something better even with the discount. So on that basis a cash buy would be for something that was really cheap like a flat in a tower block or a house on a sink estate. Neither of which anyone including council tenants would want to rent unless they were desperate and had been evicted by the council for anti social behaviour or something. So Manchester was a bad choice of area if all you wanted was to provoke a reaction.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    If it is a troll it is an epic fail as a question simply because if you had a lot of cash to buy a house in Manchester you would buy something on the open market rather than a council house because........................
    They clearly didn't expect to encounter an expert of the Manchester property market such as yourself. You've really outsmarted them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter