Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 27th Nov 17, 8:16 AM
    • 4,663Posts
    • 35,824Thanks
    DawnW
    What small things will you do this week? W/C 27 November
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:16 AM
    What small things will you do this week? W/C 27 November 27th Nov 17 at 8:16 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

Page 4
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 3rd Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 9,556 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hey folks,

Still here but the week has been madness. Had a pretty overpriced night out last night (thank goodness I wasn't planning on drinking much) but a subsequent taxi let down and availability crisis meant that I still didn't get into bed until 2am, with work at 8am

Normal lists of stuff. Have noted that our electricity bill has become strangely astronomical and so am attempting to reduce this. It probably doesn't help that I'm off work another day.

Work has been an absolute 'mare, hence the lack of posting. Very busy but too many urgent things all at once.

I agree with La E about reading the 1 star reviews. OH and I like the TripAdvisor ones. Some of these people are total cranks.

Have a good Sunday folks

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 4,663 Posts
    • 35,824 Thanks
    DawnW
    it's all fun and games when I'm freezing little odds and s0ds but not so fun when there's no room in the freezer and hardly any meals!

I've made my meal plan solely based on what we have in and am literally buying the very minimum needed. Am determined that by 21st we will have defrosted 1!
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I'll race you DNMS
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    I am not much of a mse'er at the moment, and not well organised for Christmas or anything. I feel like a fraud even posting on here, but I really miss you lot more than you know. I feel as though I've lost my friends due my own poor effort... So I'm lurking.
    Huge congratulations on the job DNMS - I'm really pleased for you.
    I am particularly badly organised for Christmas this year, and I'm not finished shopping or crocheting. I did manage to get a delivery for groceries booked for the 23rd which is one good thing but I'm just flapping about otherwise being my usual busy and all over the place self. On the plus side, I am getting a good 5-6 hours of sleep a night now, thanks to a change in routine and an app. It's not as much as I'd like but I will definitely take it...
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 3rd Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all, the postman has just woken me up (eat your heart out all you insomniacs, I could sleep for England ) but I must have needed it

DNMS, when there's only bits and bobs in the freezer it's time for a buffet!

I have done nothing, literally nothing, today apart from get up to feed the cats then go back to sleep. In good news though I have had four sales while I was sleeping! This has been my average most days but I have just doubled my lines and I'm hoping the new ones will sell at the same rate.

I'm absolutely starving but have missed the big supermarket, I will have to trundle down to the local one to see what they have to offer.

I still have washing and washing up to do but my evening plans have been cancelled so plenty of time to do it!
    Last edited by FatVonD; 03-12-2017 at 4:01 PM.
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,663 Posts
    • 35,824 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hello
    I am not much of a mse'er at the moment, and not well organised for Christmas or anything. I feel like a fraud even posting on here, but I really miss you lot more than you know. I feel as though I've lost my friends due my own poor effort... So I'm lurking.
    I am particularly badly organised for Christmas this year, and I'm not finished shopping or crocheting. I did manage to get a delivery for groceries booked for the 23rd which is one good thing but I'm just flapping about otherwise being my usual busy and all over the place self.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    You haven't lost us CCL, we're still here
    And you sound a lot more organised for Christmas than I am!!
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 9,556 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hello
    I am particularly badly organised for Christmas this year, and I'm not finished shopping or crocheting. I did manage to get a delivery for groceries booked for the 23rd which is one good thing but I'm just flapping about otherwise being my usual busy and all over the place self. On the plus side, I am getting a good 5-6 hours of sleep a night now, thanks to a change in routine and an app. It's not as much as I'd like but I will definitely take it...
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    You'd never lose us - we linger like a bad smell

Christmas-wise - You can only do what you can do. I think we're all guilty of having a big list of things that we think we "should" accomplish, and then real life, and reality have a habit of scuppering that list.

My suggestion would be to get a notebook, write down a list of all the things that you think you should or could do. Then take a sharpie and cross out everything that you don't 100% NEED to do. Make that a starting point and things will tick over quicker than you know it
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 03-12-2017 at 5:04 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 3rd Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,456 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ha!! CCL, we're harder to get rid of than that! I second the excellent idea about making a Christmas task list then crossing off all but tge essential ones. I would also add assigning at least a couple of those essential tasks to other family members. Perhaps your children could help with writing cards or wrapping a few presents, putting the tree up, etc. Perhaps your partner could be in charge of domestic duties for one weekend to free you up to have a 2-day splurge on festive prep without having to do everything else as well? Just trying to think of ways forward.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 3rd Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,456 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Duh! Was so busy thinking of ways forward, I forgot to kick in my own list of efforts for today:
    *Cancelled our planned outing thus saving 28 miles of diesel & almost certainly money spent on snacks.
    *Planted tulip bulbs - 25% off as it's getting late for planting bulbs now.
    *Minimised use of new compost by re-using some from summer grow bags which seems fine for bulbs.
    *Discovered a tray of sprouting daffodil bulbs in the shed. Old ones which I didn't get round to dealing with due to all the stresses when Dad was so ill. Planted them all into a big tub for free flowers.
    *Sat down with mr f & wrote our Christmas food shopping list. He was very good & only got the 'red mist' when pigs in blankets were mentioned. I can't eat them (dodgy gallbladder) so suggested 8 for him....4 for Christmas Day & 4 cold for Boxing Day. This is scroogey & not enough. Reminded him helpfully of all the other stuff that will be on his plate. Apparently pigs in blankets are deal breaker. And I didn't care sufficiently about a few extra sausages to put up a frugal fight, lol.
    *Mended broken bird feeder using wire.
    *mr f sorted out problem with loo cistern gizmo by removing problem water-saving hippo bag. Need for plumber appears to have been averted.
    *All free leisure today - wrote several letters to pop into Christmas cards of people I think might enjoy receiving a letter, knitting, read newspaper, etc.
    *Entered a competition.
    *Am getting on well with my bullet journal - wrote tasks on appropriate day sheets for the week ahead.
    *Asked mr f to fetch the Christmas box down out of the loft so I can see what we've got & tell myself firmly that I don't need to buy anything.
    *Topped up new potted Christmas tree (gifted to us) with compost & watered well ready for bringing indoors. Don't want it going brown & crispy now it's moved a good bit further north!
    I really want to have a positive productive week ahead. Lists ready to go!
    Night all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,663 Posts
    • 35,824 Thanks
    DawnW
    I have the same issue with my freezers DNMS, though I am hoping to run them down enough to defrost between now and the New Year.

Up early as usual, done a few things so far:
    HG fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fruit
    Chilly, but heating is on only in the bathroom, airing cupboard and loft conversion (it gets very chilly up there and I don't want any frozen pipes in the ensuite
    Walked dog
    Did my weekly litter pick along the pavement / verge at the front of the house, and round the back, which is supposed to be private but is used by all and sundry - wouldn't mind if they didn't drop their litter all over it Anyway, done now and I don't have to look at it!
    Got rid of some old compost bags from the woodshed. Topped up compost in my bay tree's pot with the last of a bag of ericaceous compost, that I didn't know was there
    Picked a few beetroot from the garden

Still to do:
    Make a cake or biscuits of some kind Scones, low fat, quick and easy, and means we also use HM jam / jelly collection
    Made up some dried skimmed milk for the scones, and tipped the rest in with the small amount of milk that is left until the milkman comes in the morning. OH doesn't 'like' made up skimmed milk powder (though we always have skimmed milk...) but if he doesn't see me mix some in with what is left in the bottle over the weekend he doesn't notice, and I don't have to go to the shop for more milk
    Go through fridge and see what needs using or freezing Used up dregs of a Stork margarine pack for the scones. Chopped half a yellow pepper and froze it. Must keep an eye as there is a lot in there
    Cook a roast chicken later, for dinner / lots of leftovers Done
    Pack an ebay parcel, and chase another buyer to pay, so that I can get hers ready for posting Done
    List some more items, if it gets light enough to take decent photos Managed 3 before I lost the will to live!
    Tidy at least one cupboard or drawer Done
    Clean bathroom Cleaned loo, basin etc but not done the floor yet
    Another dog walk Done

That should keep me busy - but all is provisional on whether my daughter decides to have her baby today!
    Originally posted by DawnW
    No baby yet!

Radiators in sitting room and kitchen went on late morning as OH said he was cold. Now off again as the wood stove is alight. Dog has climbed inside the fender for maximum warmth
    Kettle on stove for free hot water - used one lot for washing up / cleaning kitchen after dinner, now on again for free tea later

Only managed to use half a bag of French beans out of the freezers today - and half a lurking pepper went in
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 3rd Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Evening all, just a quickie as I'm shattered after our night at the inlaws up North.
    Will post my "small things" in the morning, going to make a cuppa and catch up on the thread!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

434Posts Today

2,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin