Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 26th Nov 17, 11:20 PM
    • 3,790Posts
    • 3,774Thanks
    Retrogamer
    Motorbike Outdoor Security & Weather Protection?
    • 26th Nov 17, 11:20 PM
    Motorbike Outdoor Security & Weather Protection? 26th Nov 17 at 11:20 PM
    I've recently picked up a small 125cc bike and intend to store it in the garden for a few weeks until i can clear space in a large shed for it.

What's the best Moneysaving way to secure it? Just Chains and locks, or anything else?
    Any good value chains and locks and / or insurance approved suggestions would be good as well as i genuinely don't have a clue about what's good and what to avoid.

Likewise with a harp to protect it from the weather and any other preparations like greasing or oiling anything as it will be sitting stationary until i get my CBT. Tarpaulin a good idea? Again, hoping people can advise what to avoid and what's good.

Many thanks for any advise and suggestions
    Last edited by Retrogamer; 27-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 27th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    Two things spring to mind, secure it from being pushed away with a decent chain and stop it from starting by removing an essential part, lead to spark plug for example.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 27th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 6,387 Posts
    • 5,159 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:06 AM

Likewise with a harp to protect it from the weather and any other preparations like greasing or oiling anything as it will be sitting stationary until i get my CBT. Tarpaulin and a harp a good idea?
    Originally posted by Retrogamer
    Not sure how a harp will help.

Removing the seat and battery can be easy and make it less inviting. Cover it to protect it and keep it out of site. An alarmed padlock might work as a cheap alarm.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 27-11-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • missile
    • By missile 27th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    Get it out of sight asap. When the local tea leafs see it = STEAL ME.

Buy a disk lock + a strong and heavy chain & padlock or shackle D lock. Later when you go for a ride and park the bike always secure it.

If possible chain to a solid object like a post. Removing plug lead is a free simple additional security measure.

Tarpaulins are heavy, you will soon stop using it. Oxford make a very good light weight bike cover.

Lidl often have reasonable quality m/c gear and security equipment.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 27th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    Thanks folks. Done some more reading and Youtube checks.

I went for an Oxford "weatherproof" bike cover to help protect it against the elements and a Thatcham approved Oxford lock and chain. I'll be able to but it around the rear wheel and around the washing line pole (it's very old ones we have so very thick and strong)

I think i'll get a disk lock still to be safer for the front end as well.
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 27th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    A trick I like, and one I use on one of my bikes that has to live out on the front driveway permanently;

Ingredients; 1x large plant pot. 1x bag of cement/postcrete, a solid, old U-lock or shackle lock and if needs-be, whatever heavy rubble is lying around the garden.

Got a large planter from the garden & filled it with a bag of cement/postcrete. Mix-up, leaving an inch or two from the top, and if necessary, mix-in some heavy hardcore or rubble/etc..
    Set the u-lock in there, and when it hardens, you have a (semi) instant ground anchor.

Use your imagination - you can leave the top few inches free for a small layer of compost & shrubs, or op if of with gravel, to lose the industrial look.

Once the bike lives in the shed, you can drag the planter inside so that it's still locked to a secure item.

Sure, a hend-held angle grinder would eventually beat it, but hell, if they're carrying that level of gear and willing to risk the time & noise then anything you use isn't going to really last.

I use a couple of chains on it when I'm not using using it for a while, one to the front & one around the frame - a proper bike security chain, and a length of heavy gauge chain with an old bike innertube slipped over it to make it look bigger, and protect it/paintwork from contact.
    Last edited by Cash-Strapped.T32; 27-11-2017 at 7:10 PM.
    • curty510
    • By curty510 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    curty510
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    In the 26 years i have been biking, not a lot will stop a pro bike thief. Chains, locks etc are good for stopping the hooligans and slowing down the pro's, but make sure not cheap ones. Most bikes are lifted and carried to a van, a 125 is easily carried too.

The best advice i have is concealment, if they don't know its there......
    debt free, savings in the bank
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 28th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    Regarding weather protection - ACF50

There are 'alternatives' like Scottoiler FS365, but they're crap by comparison. Cover the bike properly in ACF50 before winter and then don't touch it until spring.
    • missile
    • By missile 28th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    It is common for pads to stick to the disk, I know one who sprayed WD40 to prevent this.

Might seem obvious to some, but do not put anything on brake disk. You might want to lever the pads back a fraction.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Arfa__
    • By Arfa__ 30th Nov 17, 11:35 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    Arfa__
    Security wise: big chain. Avoid Oxford security gear - it's made of cheese. Almax and Pragmasis (with a Squire padlock) are the brands to go for. Ideally go for chain links 16mm of bigger - will be too big for hand 3' bolt croppers, and will only be beaten by a battery angle grinder.

Oxford do make reasonable rain covers however. ACF50 is best anti corrosion. FS365 is water based, so doesn't last as long and will need replenishing many times over the winter.

If bike is going to stationary for a while, put tyres on thick card - can help prevent a frost damaging rubber.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 1st Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Richard53
    1. Cover must be breathable, or else you are trapping moisture inside and rust will follow.
    2. Covers are good for deterrence - what they can't see, they are less likely to want.
    3. As above, cover the shiny bits in ACF-50 and take off in the Spring - horrible stuff to use, but highly effective against corrosion.
    4. Use two types of security (e.g. chain AND U-lock) as thieves will have to carry two sets of tools to be successful.
    5. Chain the bike to something solid, as said above.
    6. Keep the bike in sight of where you are if at all possible.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin