Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LiveOnce
    • By LiveOnce 26th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 449Posts
    • 181Thanks
    LiveOnce
    Back and neck pain from driving: Any recommendations?
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    Back and neck pain from driving: Any recommendations? 26th Nov 17 at 8:25 PM
    Hello all,

Recently I have been experiencing lots of back and neck pain from long distance driving.

I have tried adjusting the seat and still finding my 'comfort' zone.

Are there any things you recommend trying? Open to changing something in the car or a product that can help while I drive.

I am fairly active and stretch regularly so this mostly happens when I drive. In the next few weeks I anticipate driving 3-4hrs a day for short term basis.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 26th Nov 17, 8:45 PM
    • 15,873 Posts
    • 8,129 Thanks
    ACG
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:45 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:45 PM
    Could it be the car?
    When I passed my test 6 years ago (27) I drove 4 hours in a vauxhall corsa. I got out the car knackered with an aching back.

I do the same drive now in my current car (newer, better seats and higher up) and I am fine.

I was 27, now 33 so hardly over the hill but I definitely notice a difference.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 26th Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    marlot
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    My physio gave me some exercises. Much along the lines of these..

Arrg - I can't get the link to work. Google arthritis research uk neck pain
    Last edited by marlot; 26-11-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 26th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    Try this, its adjusting for safety but it might help you.

https://youtu.be/pOWPaM2q8iQ
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 26th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    I'm with ACG, get rid of the Vauxhall.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    • 26,200 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    3 - 4 hours a day = a long drive?

How many hours do you think an HGV driver does a day?

If you cannot get your seat comfy then the next option is change the car.

Puzzled why your getting neck ache though? How have you adjusted your seat?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 27th Nov 17, 6:02 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:02 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:02 AM
    Just had similar problem with neck,physio told me it was a posture problem.
    I purchased from ebay a posture brace,it helped a lot with the pain.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 27th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    Are you like me getting on a bit? I also get neck pain after a long drive and it is an age thing, cervical spondylosis. So have you consulted your doctor about it as it could be more than bad posture?
    • Notmyfault
    • By Notmyfault 27th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Notmyfault
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    Get rid of the Vauxhall!! We have one and when we get out of it after a long journey, no more than four hours, it's like watching a comedy act!! Nether of us can walk for a few minutes. LOL.
    • missile
    • By missile 27th Nov 17, 9:27 AM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    Try to relax the muscles and moving your neck regularly as you drive.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 27th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    It might be worth seeing a physio to find out if you have any specific reasons for getting the pain.

You could try a car seat wedge like this: https://www.co-opmobility.co.uk/mobility-aids/car-mobility-aids/car-seat-supports/p/harley-car-seat-wedge?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXP5x6OKaxmT7h GwLbyivOTTfI0Tpv2Wbc963byy01EI6eL3wMWR7MgaArY5EALw _wcB I got one of these to help with my back pain issues when driving (I also have one for my chair in work) and they are great (I have a facet joint issue).
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 27th Nov 17, 10:46 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    sevenhills
    If you have a sedentary lifestyle, that will make your seating issues worse. Do a few keep fit classes every week.

• Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 27th Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I agree that Opel/Vauxhall seats are not the most comfortable but ...

A few hours should not be a problem.

A 3 to 4 hour journey is NOT a long time to be driving.

Many/most people have their seat adjusted in a less than perfect position.

Check here before changing your car:

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/how-can-i-make-sure-i-have-found-the-perfect-driving-position/
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 27th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Make sure your neck and shoulders aren't getting cold - adjust the air vents etc so they're not creating a draught that's wicking round your neck.

Cura-Heat make neck and shoulder heat pads that you stick on your clothes (a sort of yoke shape). Other brands make stick-to-skin ones, but I prefer the stick on to clothes version. You can order them from independent pharmacies and some supermarkets' pharmacies (not B00t5). Bar code 498702018040. You can also stick them on a scarf so if it got too hot while driving, you could easily move it off yourself.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 27th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 8,487 Thanks
    wymondham
    How about a few glasses of whisky, that'll relax your muscles....

*(before anyone comments, this is not a serious suggestion!)
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    Hello all,

Recently I have been experiencing lots of back and neck pain from long distance driving.

I have tried adjusting the seat and still finding my 'comfort' zone.

Are there any things you recommend trying? Open to changing something in the car or a product that can help while I drive.

I am fairly active and stretch regularly so this mostly happens when I drive. In the next few weeks I anticipate driving 3-4hrs a day for short term basis.
    Originally posted by LiveOnce

Car make and model, your age, your height and build, would all help to give better advice.

For instance I'm over 65, 6 feet 1 inch tall and heavy build with long legs. I also suffered same sort of problems as you describe, eventually found the right car for me, but have recently tried to find a replacement as my car is getting worn and as yet no luck.

So more info please.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    Also, all this talk about Vauxhall's? The OP has not stated what he/she drives yet...
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 29th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Also, all this talk about Vauxhall's? The OP has not stated what he/she drives yet...
    Originally posted by harz99
    Sorry, a bit of sarcasm on my part which seems to have caught on. Many years ago Vauxhall went on about their wonderful special ergonomic seating designed by chiropractors or something similar, it was particularly uncomfortable. I abandoned a test drive half way through & walked back to the dealer rather than drive on.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • LiveOnce
    • By LiveOnce 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    LiveOnce
    Hi all,

I am 30 and fairly active and have a decent diet / lifestyle where I run / swim or gym 3 times a week.

Reading some of the stuff on the web:
    > I adjusted my seat
    > Removed wallet from my back pocket when driving
    > My car is warm (reading the suggestion here)

But I still get pain around back of my neck and middle of the back on the side of the spine.

Never had this issue normally and occurring since driving.

I have to drive 4hrs a day for next 6 months. How can I make it less painful?

Buying a new car is not an option as I cannot afford it (current is a decent Japanesse brand).
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 26,200 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Adjusted your seat using which method?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter