Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 26th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 20,163Posts
    • 229,059Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017
    • 26th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017 26th Nov 17 at 7:41 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Christmas madness Looms - get your retreat ready - your bedroom

Level 1

Strip bed - leave to air while you have breakfast/school run etc...

then - vacuum/dust headboard and bedframe
    remake bed
    clear floordrobe/chairdrobe

Level 2

Dust bedside tables
    Wipe sticky mats, sockets and switches
    Dust any other furniture
    Polish mirrors

Level 3

Clean windows and sills
    Check corners for cobwebs
    Dust skirtings
    Vacuum floor

The plan (such as it is) is to ensure a comfortable, stress-free zone...

Extras

HHI
    Write your Christmas Toots list - then you can tick bits off as you go
    MAD half hour - if you can't think of one why not have half an hour wrapping presents/writing cards/sorting out online shopping - writing Xmas Toots list
    For those for whom there are mixed feelings at Christmas - be kind to yourselves.
    And if you're cooking squeeze something else in the oven at the same time and freeze the extra so that you can have a couple of meals to thaw when you're frazzled.
    S&S kitchen and bathroom.

*Waves at atb who's snuck in mid thread construction!*

Tuesday - time to sort out the kitchen

Level 1

CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE

wash all moveable bits eg shelves, salad boxes etc
    Check de-icer/drain holes are running clear
    Dispose of anything that's crawled into a corner and died.
    wipe down fridge innards and don't forget the seals - you want the fridge clean and fully-functional for December

Level 2

Wipe down counters/sides
    wipe drawer fronts
    wipe handles, sockets, switches and splashbacks

Level 3

Clean the floor

Extras

Freezer inventory. Space will be needed - what needs using up?
    S&S bathroom
    Make your bed and all beds in the house
    Go and spend 10 minutes straightening the living room
    MAD half hour - what can you tick off your ominous xmas to do list?
    Have you got enough stamps?

Write a minimum of 5 cards

Wednesday Wonders - lounge

Level 1

Clear sofas - wipe/vacuum
    plump cushions
    tidy throws
    take rubbish out
    see to flowers/plants
    wipe coasters
    empty ashtray

Level 2

Clean coffee/lamp tables (polish and dust)
    sort out newspapers/magazines into reycling
    clean 'christmas tree corner' (where tree is/will be)
    Check for webs

Level 3

Dust skirtings and shelves
    Vacuum
    wipe remotes/sockets/switches

Extras

5 cards
    HHI
    MAD - if you can't think of one pick a drawer or cupboard to declutter
    Have you enough bulbs and batteries?
    Take time out to tell someone you love them. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the last time my sister told me she loved me and gave me a kiss. the love never dies.

Thursday bathroom

Level 1

Empty bin
    Clear any rubbish
    Wipe sill and polish window
    Scrub sink
    Polish taps
    Wipe whatever sink stands in or on

Level 2
    Scrub loo bowl inside and under the rim
    Wipe over toilet
    Scrub out bath and shower

Level 3
    Polish shower screen
    Deal with mould or mildew
    Glue bleach down drains
    Sweep and mop floor
    Put out fresh towels

Extras
    HHI
    S&s kitchen
    Mad half hour
    Write 5 cards
    Stay warm
    [B][/B]Friday Flourish - 15 minute makeover

arm yourself with

duster, polish, damp cloth, kitchen roll, scrim (if you use one) and glass cleaner
    and a binbag.

15 minutes MAX per room for as many 15 minutes as you have

stand in the doorway, look around and evaluate

straighten, tidy, fling and wipe where necessary and generally primp each room. the 15 minutes includes kitchen and bathroom swish and swipe.

Polish mirrors and remove sticky marks.

Vacuum high traffic area that need it.

Last edited by Valli; 01-12-2017 at 7:13 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 7
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,014 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Is it time for that glass of wine yet??!
    Originally posted by Fayolle
    We may be cracking open a bottle of Pinot Grigio later,on the basis that it's the Esbat (Full Moon) tonight. I have my white candle ready to light, too - well ok, it's a tealight in deference to Daisy's long, feathery tail.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 3rd Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 16,433 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Fayolle - yes, cheers
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 3rd Dec 17, 5:10 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra

I think that I've spent today just moving gibble from one place to another.
    Ah yes the gibble shuffle. I have been doing that for a couple of weeks but no more! The items that have been shuffled from room to room are in the bin, at the recycling centre or have gone to charity.

Is it time for that glass of wine yet??!
    I wish. I've been dry since September to aid in my fight against fat.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 3rd Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 21,008 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Good morning everyone
    I've been lurking rather than flying - in 'paid stuff, eat, sleep' mode aka I'd hibernate if I didn't need to earn a living. However, on Monday - with looming heavily over my shoulder like a sledgehammer waiting to drop - I used my knowledge of how things work better (as gleaned from flylady wisdom) and drew up a calendar grid and wrote down everything that has to be done and when
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    You sound as if you are really on top of it all, well done.
    I'm not having a bad weekend, still trying to shake off a cold but trying to get a grip. Yesterday was a bit social, visiting a friend who has just moved house, but managed to go to Mr A on the way home then took MIL out for a late lunch at the garden centre (cue buying of another huge bag of sunflower seeds for the fairies et al - I'm sure we spend more money feeding birds than when we each had a horse!). Succeeded in finishing writing a report in the afternoon and wrote a few cards in the eve.

Today started with filling bird feeders then church, writing more cards, putting lists next to the calendar (thanks G00gle) and - ok I'll admit it, playing various electronic advent calendar games. Have started another report and would be great if I could finish it this eve but I need to check the lounge as I have a private assessment at home to do tomorrow.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 3rd Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 8,254 Thanks
    donnajt
    Not achieved much today, feeling a ME lapse coming on so really trying not to over do it and hope that it will fly overhead and miss me

Roast beef cooking, house smells delicious

DOG FLEA situation now resolved thank the lord, will never miss vet appointment for advocate again

Massive pile of coat hangers - what to do with them???

Big list for week ahead but I am determined to stay home, will have to pop out and collect some parcels from various shops but that's it

Loving my decluttered house

What do you all do with sentimental stuff - I have this clay dog which DS made me at school but the clay was clearly not made properly and bits have been falling off since he bought it home - it looks like a grey blob now but I can't bear to throw it
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 3rd Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 36,166 Posts
    • 466,182 Thanks
    pigpen
    Roast beef cooking, house smells delicious

Massive pile of coat hangers - what to do with them???

What do you all do with sentimental stuff - I have this clay dog which DS made me at school but the clay was clearly not made properly and bits have been falling off since he bought it home - it looks like a grey blob now but I can't bear to throw it
    Originally posted by donnajt
    I have beef defrosting for tomorrow.. it's been languishing in the freezer for about 2 years.. thought it might like to be eaten!

Coathangers.. recycle or donate to charity shop

Sentimental stuff.. I don't have any.. it is stuff.

Childrens clay models.. I glue them back together and give them to them when they leave home.. I photograph them and bin if they need to be binned though.. the joy of digital images!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 3rd Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 35,779 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    I have this clay dog which DS made me at school but the clay was clearly not made properly and bits have been falling off since he bought it home - it looks like a grey blob now but I can't bear to throw it[/B]
    Remember that you will always have the memory of DS bringing the clay dog home from school and you dont need the physical object for that. Take a photo of it if that helps and gently put it in the bin and say goodbye to it. You are not throwing the memory away.

Spent a lot of time with family this weekend which was lovely but it means that nothing else has got done. I just dont have enough time in my day, forget sitting down on an evening and relaxing - never mind finding the time to do Christmas. Sigh.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 3rd Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 34,618 Thanks
    Natty68

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,014 Thanks
    LameWolf
    DOG FLEA situation now resolved thank the lord, will never miss vet appointment for advocate again
    Hooray! Nasty little things, fleas. So presumably one much more comfortable dog.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter