Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 26th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 20,155Posts
    • 228,975Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017
    • 26th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017 26th Nov 17 at 7:41 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Christmas madness Looms - get your retreat ready - your bedroom

Level 1

Strip bed - leave to air while you have breakfast/school run etc...

then - vacuum/dust headboard and bedframe
    remake bed
    clear floordrobe/chairdrobe

Level 2

Dust bedside tables
    Wipe sticky mats, sockets and switches
    Dust any other furniture
    Polish mirrors

Level 3

Clean windows and sills
    Check corners for cobwebs
    Dust skirtings
    Vacuum floor

The plan (such as it is) is to ensure a comfortable, stress-free zone...

Extras

HHI
    Write your Christmas Toots list - then you can tick bits off as you go
    MAD half hour - if you can't think of one why not have half an hour wrapping presents/writing cards/sorting out online shopping - writing Xmas Toots list
    For those for whom there are mixed feelings at Christmas - be kind to yourselves.
    And if you're cooking squeeze something else in the oven at the same time and freeze the extra so that you can have a couple of meals to thaw when you're frazzled.
    S&S kitchen and bathroom.

*Waves at atb who's snuck in mid thread construction!*

Tuesday - time to sort out the kitchen

Level 1

CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE

wash all moveable bits eg shelves, salad boxes etc
    Check de-icer/drain holes are running clear
    Dispose of anything that's crawled into a corner and died.
    wipe down fridge innards and don't forget the seals - you want the fridge clean and fully-functional for December

Level 2

Wipe down counters/sides
    wipe drawer fronts
    wipe handles, sockets, switches and splashbacks

Level 3

Clean the floor

Extras

Freezer inventory. Space will be needed - what needs using up?
    S&S bathroom
    Make your bed and all beds in the house
    Go and spend 10 minutes straightening the living room
    MAD half hour - what can you tick off your ominous xmas to do list?
    Have you got enough stamps?

Write a minimum of 5 cards

Wednesday Wonders - lounge

Level 1

Clear sofas - wipe/vacuum
    plump cushions
    tidy throws
    take rubbish out
    see to flowers/plants
    wipe coasters
    empty ashtray

Level 2

Clean coffee/lamp tables (polish and dust)
    sort out newspapers/magazines into reycling
    clean 'christmas tree corner' (where tree is/will be)
    Check for webs

Level 3

Dust skirtings and shelves
    Vacuum
    wipe remotes/sockets/switches

Extras

5 cards
    HHI
    MAD - if you can't think of one pick a drawer or cupboard to declutter
    Have you enough bulbs and batteries?
    Take time out to tell someone you love them. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the last time my sister told me she loved me and gave me a kiss. the love never dies.

Thursday bathroom

Level 1

Empty bin
    Clear any rubbish
    Wipe sill and polish window
    Scrub sink
    Polish taps
    Wipe whatever sink stands in or on

Level 2
    Scrub loo bowl inside and under the rim
    Wipe over toilet
    Scrub out bath and shower

Level 3
    Polish shower screen
    Deal with mould or mildew
    Glue bleach down drains
    Sweep and mop floor
    Put out fresh towels

Extras
    HHI
    S&s kitchen
    Mad half hour
    Write 5 cards
    Stay warm
    [B][/B]Friday Flourish - 15 minute makeover

arm yourself with

duster, polish, damp cloth, kitchen roll, scrim (if you use one) and glass cleaner
    and a binbag.

15 minutes MAX per room for as many 15 minutes as you have

stand in the doorway, look around and evaluate

straighten, tidy, fling and wipe where necessary and generally primp each room. the 15 minutes includes kitchen and bathroom swish and swipe.

Polish mirrors and remove sticky marks.

Vacuum high traffic area that need it.

Last edited by Valli; 01-12-2017 at 7:13 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 6
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 2nd Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok. I've been lurking but not posting much.

Not a lot of flying getting done here. I'm either at the paid stuff or too tired to think.

Today, DH and I are going to York (as if I don't have enough of that journey every day!), having a Christmas dinner out, and the dogs are being groomed later.

Flying so far - I've made the bed and walked the the dogs.

I have a pile of paperwork to sort out.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) December £355 Total £12694.84/£12000

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 2nd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 36,156 Posts
    • 466,056 Thanks
    pigpen
    Wow! Just wow! Am I right in thinking she's still in nappies, too?.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    She isn't quite 18 months!!! She likes the netflix loading screen... I hide ipads (the unlock code is the same as my phone so I have to hide that too) and remotes so she can't play on either.. She says about 4 words which is unheard of for my rabbity bunch who never shut up, she just started walking 2 weeks ago, barely eats any human food but give her an electronic device, she is well away!

OH and DS2 away to work.. Girls have swimming at 1.. and I can't remember which 'safe place' I put the sellotape and name stickers in when I finished wrapping on Thursday!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 2nd Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 36,156 Posts
    • 466,056 Thanks
    pigpen
    Right.. cuppa slurped.. and baby fed.

Sort swimming gear
    load pushchair
    find shoes and dclothes for girls
    get dressed myself *slobbed in pjs*
    Load dryer
    Do lunch
    throw anything in the SC for dinner.. I'm going totally lazy.. chucking a beef joint in, with veg and spudatoes and covering it in gravy and calling it casserole.. extra will be saved for tomorrow.. everyone can help themselves as and when then and the smalls who don't like gravy will have freezer grot with veg.

After swimming I need to bath and deflea girls.. again..
    Get down 2 more boxes to wrap.. OH will be home so can cut paper while I wrap, it gets them done much quicker... I need to find the tape dispenser though.. I developed a sensitivity to the tape a few years ago and ended up with an extremely sore mouth and hands so I need as little contact as possible.
    Sort box of christmas stuff to go to my mothers.
    Oh.. and get the girls writing their cards too.. I despise that task! 100+cards to write and check and envelope and stick..

Monday while DS3 is at college I need to wrap his stuff.. he follows me around like a little dog so I need to sneak it while he is out.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 90,742 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Woke up to find two cats curled up against me for warmth - and a sleeping bloke perched on the edge of the bed with a tiny corner of the quilt because they'd refused to let him get any closer when he crept in at OMG o'clock.

He's doing some washing up whilst I veg out in the bath.

I'm going to wipe over the bathroom once I'm done and then hopefully, there will be some food.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 2nd Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 107,722 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Not doing very well today at all. Apart from Daisy's needs being seen to, all I've achieved is washing the bedlinen and (with Mr LW's assistance) washing my hair, a large handful of which fell out. And I am exhausted to the point of collapse. Huge BD has also taken up residence. I haven't even had anything to eat yet today.

Tomorrow Mr LW has to go for his CT scan; I shall be going along with him to bring the car home, and then pick him up when he's been scanned - we are so NOT paying £££ in hospital car parking fees. We did a recce yesterday so we know where to go (they've changed it all round, the disabled parking area no longer exists and the main entrance is in a new place) so I'm glad we did check it out in advance.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 2nd Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 4,450 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good evening Flylady Friends

Firstly, lots of sticks being thrown to LW's BD. And lots of gentle hugs to Valli.

I'm lucky enough to be sat in front of the real fire, drinking a cuppa. And eating chocolate! DH has popped out to the pub and DD is in her room "doing Christmas" so it is quiet and peaceful downstairs. It's been a busy couple of days. Yesterday was a full on day at work. DD went to the local Christmas light switch on with some friends after school, and DH picked her up later as I had a rare evening out with a couple of friends. We live barely a mile apart but hadn't actually met up all together since before the school summer holidays. It was a nice evening with a bottle of bubbly and lots of chat.

Today I took DD up to the big city to see Christmas lights and windows. She did some Christmas shopping while I loitered in doorways. I've done a lot of my buying on E£sy for the past couple of years as I get individual presents from small sellers which suits me. We were done by 2pm, and home by 4pm. Both suitably shattered but everyone seems happy. Dinner has been cooked and eaten, kitchen tidied, 2 loads of washing done and DW running. Enough for today, methinks. X
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 3rd Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Glad you had a good couple of days Fayolle. Hugs to whoever needs them.

I have loads to do today, all Xmas prep.

Have a great day everyone.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 3rd Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 36,156 Posts
    • 466,056 Thanks
    pigpen
    Loads to do, no time, no energy, no sleep... pain in bucketloads.. today will be a very productive day.. hahahaha
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 3rd Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    gilly1964
    LW - re parking if you use disabled in multi story I believe it is free and they can bring you a wheel chair. Hope this helps.
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 3rd Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    gilly1964
    I so need to come back and join you all

Kitchen is good to go, but everywhere else is not far off a nightmare
    and no Christmas preparation has been done

Today my mission is to

Lounge Hoover and dust, moving various detritus to its correct home
    Hallway Hoover and dust, moving various detritus to its correct home
    Stairs Hoover and dust, moving various detritus to its correct home
    Landing Hoover and dust, moving various detritus to its correct home

Have you spotted a pattern yet?

Bathroom and ensuite, spray, wipe, replace towels, check supplies

Airing cupboard - empty and sort as most stuff has just been thrown in

Bedroom Hoover and dust, sort floordrobe, change bed

Washing, ironing

Food shop

Sort freezer so can see what space is available for Christmas extras

I will have a tea break at 12:30 and report back on progress

Have a good day all xx
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 3rd Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 6,269 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Good morning everyone

I've been lurking rather than flying - in 'paid stuff, eat, sleep' mode aka I'd hibernate if I didn't need to earn a living. However, on Monday - with looming heavily over my shoulder like a sledgehammer waiting to drop - I used my knowledge of how things work better (as gleaned from flylady wisdom) and drew up a calendar grid and wrote down everything that has to be done and when - without over-loading any one day: I included paid stuff, pay rent, put out bins, birthdays + when to post cards, as well as all the Christmas tasks and all of a sudden it was do-able...mainly because I haven't waited until the last two weeks to try and get organised.And I'm not stressing if something doesn't get done on the right day; its there in black and white and therefore won't be forgotten until the last minute ( like the Advent calendars were - which is what prompted me to draw up the grid in the first place!)

I got up and went into town for the shop opening at 8.30 am yesterday and did a Christmas shopping sweep of the shelves. I had a list of names and went through the store: 1 of them, 3 of them, ooh 1 of them - and at the check-out a little boy behind me said 'woah! that's a trolley full'. He was right I called at HQ on way home and had a cuppa with m&d. Mum said 'are you ready for Christmas?' and I said 'More than I was an hour ago!' lol

I then surprised myself by calling at the garage on my way home and booking in Pip to be seen tomorrow: orange light on dashboard, heater dial stuck at halfway and fan won't work on No1 - dial and fan been like it since summer, but it was ignorable then, not so much this past week brrrr (They are lovely at the garage, but I still avoid going)

I guess what I am feeling is 'on track'. It has to be a guess as it's not a feeling that I'm on first-name terms with

Sorry so many of you are going through a tough time. I'm sure a lovely flylady (maybe more than one )has been sending me 'you can do this' vibes so I'd like to repay the favour and send some positive/ healing / loving / huggy vibes out to anyone who needs or wants them.

Much love, lovely ladies

Rx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 3rd Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    I have taken the dogs for a long walk, got fed up carrying a very lazy Poppet so have resorted to using OldDogs doggy pushchair. I got DH to get it out of the loft when he was retrieving the Xmas decs yesterday.

I have also changed the bedding, and sorted out most of the kitchen cupboards - there is now room for Xmas food - and switched on the third freezer ready for the same.

Just having a cuppa, then I'm going to hoover/sweep/mop through before tackling the Xmas decs. I figure I won't need to dust much as the decs will cover most surfaces for a few weeks.

Slovenly, moi?

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 3rd Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 15,364 Posts
    • 196,485 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    I had a day off yesterday, went to a glass workshop with dd2 and had a lovely time together making a Christmas plate after a snack in a lovely little eco cafe at the place that runs the workshops.then in the evening we went to see skinnylister and beans on toast brilliant night and very loud. Today we'll be putting the Christmas deccys up.

Valli thank you so much for the wool, it will be put to very good use.

Hugs and good wishes to all.
    I'll try and catch up later. X
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Me before you
    xstitch challenge 63 Thumbelina
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 3rd Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 8,191 Thanks
    donnajt
    All xmas presents now bought - just couple of bits for kids that i am waiting to collect from various stores

Wardrobes now decluttered - £30.15 earnt from Cash for Clothes

Greeting card box sorted - unwanted cards tucked into charity shop
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 107,722 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW - re parking if you use disabled in multi story I believe it is free and they can bring you a wheel chair. Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by gilly1964
    Thanks for that info Gilly and welcome back, btw. I shall remember for if I need to attend for anything; my own wheelchair does live in the back of the car, so Mr LW would help me. (I can't cope with anyone else pushing me).

Mr LW has been suitably scanned; I managed to drive home and back to the horse-piddle to collect him, though I was shaking like a leaf by the end of it. We have to wait for appointments for another two tests to be done at the horse-piddle; then he'll have to make an appointment at the medical centre (not the horse-piddle) to see the consultant again.

I can't help feeling that if it's anything really bad, he could be dead by the time they actually get around to any treatment. It's been well over a year now since he first saw a GP about this.

We should really crack on with writing Yule cards, but my heart simply isn't in it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 3rd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 16,352 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Good afternoon ladies,

Firstly, LW - Well done on driving sweetie, and I am sending all the posi vibes I can your way that Mr LW isn't suffering from anything serious. Have a hug from me - a very gentle one xx

Friday's flying efforts meant yesterday me and the kiddies were able to take an impromptu trip to visit a friend overnight. She has a newborn, and OMG I had forgotten how exhausting being up all night is! None of us got much kip, kiddies slept all the way home and are now on the sofa.

I need to re-make DDs bed and bath them. Woodburner needs a thorough clean but really CBA so will lay and light a fire on top of the ash, naughty ATB. DH home from his weekend away tonight - oh that reminds me I need to make his butties too.

A woman's work is truly never done is it?!
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 3rd Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 36,156 Posts
    • 466,056 Thanks
    pigpen

A woman's work is truly never done is it?!
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    Neither is a mans.. that is why there are so many half finished projects going on!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 3rd Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 16,352 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Neither is a mans.. that is why there are so many half finished projects going on!
    Originally posted by pigpen
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 3rd Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Hello everyone.

I've missed a week of flying due to work, study and there only being 24 hours in a day. I've been engaged in battle with my RoD all weekend and I think the tide is turning. Just as well because mum arrives next Saturday. I am truly flabbergasted at just how much crap I have managed to accumulate most of which was a total waste of money. Let this be a lesson to my future self!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 3rd Dec 17, 4:41 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 4,450 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good afternoon everyone,

I think that I've spent today just moving gibble from one place to another. And writing the mother of all To Do lists! A bag of finds for the charity shop has been filled, and a bag of books for the local school as well. DD has always looked after her books so well that they are happy to take them.

Gammon is cooking in the sc. Various random bags have been liberated from the freezer to be turned into something that might pass for dinner. DH is going through his address book crossing out names of those who are no longer with us..... Is it time for that glass of wine yet??!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter