Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sherlyta
    • By Sherlyta 26th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sherlyta
    Vauxhall insignia or Nissan Juke high specification
    • 26th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    Vauxhall insignia or Nissan Juke high specification 26th Nov 17 at 7:28 PM
    Hi,
    Please if someone can have some thoughts and more appropriate knowledge and could advice me. I have seen first this car Nissan Juke with sunroof sat nav parking sensons leather seats etc. 15 plate 19500 miles for £10.5 k diesel 1.5 dci £20 tax 64 mpg. Dealer has a lot of bad reviews and it put me off to buy.
    And this other car vauxhall insignia 2015 2.0 ecoflex elite also high spec. for £9K 0 tax and a bit better mpg. but with 75000 miles the car is checked with AA, it has a few scratches... they say they will be able to paint it. the brakes were already changed and they will provide serviced and with mot.
    first I am not quite sure if this changes made for the second one is good or not at so early stage and that a lot of miles is been put in. but I have more confudence in the dealer because the AA check.
    ON the other side the dealer from the Juke seems a bit unhelpful do not know, it seems that they do not mind if they sell a car or not. they said the car is serviced as well.
    I am not quite sure what kind of more relevant questions i need to ask.
    also I do not know which car will depreciate faster than the other. will that be the juke or the insignia? I mean if I think to sell in 3 years for example.

Thanks for your kind comments.
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 26th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    Totally different cars, when it comes to sell, the Juke will be the one that gets the phone calls.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 27th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18,706 Posts
    • 14,418 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    While I wouldn't even consider either car, if you are going to pursue one of them and don't know what questions to ask I strongly suggest that you take someone with you who does know about cars and can ask those questions.
    • HWG
    • By HWG 27th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    HWG
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    I read recently that the Insignia was the fastest-depreciating car in the UK... Worth a thought as the 15 plate is still relatively new.

Also worth considering that the "disinterested" dealer may have just priced the car competitively, and doesn't feel the need to be overly welcoming as they know the car will sell itself.
    • Sherlyta
    • By Sherlyta 27th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sherlyta
    • 27th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    Thanks a lot for your thoughts, I think i like more the Juke anyway and I am taking a friend to see the car for me and drive test it as well.
    I did like both, but thinking about it, as a single mum of a little girl i probably will be better with the juke and I will stress the safety and the service done in the juke. thanks a lot!
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 27th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 27th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    Thanks a lot for your thoughts, I think i like more the Juke anyway and I am taking a friend to see the car for me and drive test it as well.
    I did like both, but thinking about it, as a single mum of a little girl i probably will be better with the juke and I will stress the safety and the service done in the juke. thanks a lot!
    Originally posted by Sherlyta
    Note that Jukes are not very big inside, boot and cabin. They are based on a Renault Clio but are a bit less spacious.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 27th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    Note that Jukes are not very big inside, boot and cabin. They are based on a Renault Clio but are a bit less spacious.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    As above, they're tiny inside. I had one as a hire car on holiday and we couldn't even get two suitcases in the boot, had to put one on the back seat.

Why do you think the Juke will be safer, have you got the old rose tinted specs of most parents who think taller/4x4 looking = safer?

Also, what sort of driving do you do and how many miles do you do in a year? Both the cars you're looking at are diesels which may not suit your driving style in which case large bills are more likely than if you bought a petrol. Don't just look at the MPG & tax & assume cheap motoring, making the wrong choice now could have big implications.
    Last edited by tykesi; 27-11-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    £2017 in 2017 - £6362.49
    • n217970
    • By n217970 27th Nov 17, 3:08 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    n217970
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:08 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 3:08 PM
    £9-10.5k can buy you quite a lot of car on the used market and you are, imho, picking between two poor ones. What about a VW Golf? or even a Ford Focus?

Something to bear in mind - the Vauxhall at 75k miles will now be outside of the manufacturer warranty.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10,032 Posts
    • 8,092 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    If you are a single mother with a little girl you do not need a car as big as the Insignia. There must be plenty of cars for sale around £10K that would be more suitable
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 27th Nov 17, 5:28 PM
    • 78,952 Posts
    • 9,692,705 Thanks
    weeowens
    My thoughts would be such as this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710290757617?radius=200&price-from=9500&sort=price-desc&make=HONDA&price-to=11000&postcode=sw1a1aa&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Near ly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=JAZZ&page=1

Honda Jazz gets loads of good reviews, is very safe: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/honda/jazz/21484

I have had six in 14 years and have never had any issues. Plenty of space as well compared to a Juke. Plus my example is quite low mileage compared to your two examples.

Or this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711171324310?postcode=sw1a1aa&model=JAZZ&sort=p rice-desc&make=HONDA&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=11000&price-from=9500&radius=200&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad= Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 27th Nov 17, 5:30 PM
    • 78,952 Posts
    • 9,692,705 Thanks
    weeowens
    Or this with a service plan in place: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711231508006?price-to=11000&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=200&sort=price-desc&make=HONDA&model=JAZZ&price-from=9500&postcode=sw1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesea rchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=2
    Last edited by weeowens; 27-11-2017 at 7:02 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 27th Nov 17, 11:09 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    A Nissan Micra with big wheels or an Insignia which is a large family sized car?

Ever bought a car before?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 28th Nov 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 4,636 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I read recently that the Insignia was the fastest-depreciating car in the UK... Worth a thought as the 15 plate is still relatively new.

Also worth considering that the "disinterested" dealer may have just priced the car competitively, and doesn't feel the need to be overly welcoming as they know the car will sell itself.
    Originally posted by HWG
    I read that too, but I rented an Insignia once and I thought it was very good - smooth, comfortable, and powerful enough. A used one not too old would be a good buy.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 28th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,673 Thanks
    Robisere
    How about a Golf Plus?
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-plus-2009-2013
    Plenty of space, higher driving position, VW reliability. Not a ball of fire, but a good choice for a family.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 28th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    DoaM
    I read that too, but I rented an Insignia once and I thought it was very good - smooth, comfortable, and powerful enough. A used one not too old would be a good buy.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    My current vehicle is an Insignia Grand Sport (latest 2017 model, 136PS 1.6 diesel, Techline Nav variant) and it's very nice. Plenty of space, comfortable, smooth, quiet ... and looks really nice. (I have neighbours who own Range Rovers and BMWs comment favourably about it).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Sherlyta
    • By Sherlyta 28th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sherlyta
    Yes I have never bought a car before. i was trying to understand all about cars in a month time and i think this twisted my brain a bit.. the previous and comfortable car i was driving it was an automatic jeep grand cherokee 2001, my exhusband choose it, I just paid for it. it was 4.7 petro with lpg money drinking car, last month did not passed mot and i did not want to spend more on it.

I was in a kind of lost paradise when thinking about those cars. I went through a process of having to renounce to a big car and to try to get a small family car and i do not know how i ended up with the juke and the insignia, well I read about vauxall astra ecoflex to one of the cleanest cars? then i was looking around astra when i found the salon model lookin nice
    Honestly a car that goes with me, with my style and tune life seems it should be something a lot cheaper than that to keep the cash for bigger projects but still to be reliable and safe. a car to carry my daughter to a potential village school, i may need moving too. my 3000 miles a year could increase to more than 10k so I thought in whatever case I should get a diesel car.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, I really appreciate. I am looking into ford focus, vauxall astra, corsa as well.
    I was meant to pay today for the juke. I had a second thought and decided to think better about it. I wish I could know the one to choose, I am easy to be seduced with a good looking car funny enough I was not liking the juke at first and now I am again lost.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 29th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    DoaM
    Even 10k a year is very borderline for a diesel ... the engine would likely never get warm enough to allow the DPF to clean. You'd be better getting a petrol.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin