Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 26th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 5,738Posts
    • 25,326Thanks
    redmel1621
    0 WOW
    Closest date to pay off holiday.
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Closest date to pay off holiday. 26th Nov 17 at 3:20 PM
    Can anyone tell me the closest they have ever been able to negotiate paying off a holiday balance.
    My balance is due 13th January (10wks before flying) and the holiday is booked with Thomas Cook. I am really struggling to get it paid off by then and it would be a life saver if they would extend the date until the end of January. What do you think are my chances?

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 26th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    No idea what your chances are until you call them. I would have thought they would extend by a few days, but all you can do is ask
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 26th Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    z1a
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    I would expect them to cancel after due date.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 26th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    stephb34
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    Depends how much you have paid already. Is it a Thomas cook holiday or a different holiday just booked with Thomas Cook. A Thomas cook holiday goes into cancellation charges at 10 weeks so they would need to have taken enough deposit to cover that. They may let you have a little lee way maybe more so if you booked over the phone or the net as the shops are on strict guidelines to take balances when due. For peace of mind couldn't you just stick it on a credit card and pay that off at the end of the month instead.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 26th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 26th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    Thomas Cook package holidays go into cancellation fees 12 weeks before departure and their T&Cs state they must receive the balance at the very latest, 12 weeks prior. If you book via an agent they often ask for it 14 weeks prior so if you've been given until 10 weeks prior on a TC holiday then you've already had at least an extra 2 weeks.

If it's not a TC package then the agent is subject to the T&Cs of whichever company/companies they've booked the holiday with. They also have their own terms for collecting balances which again is often earlier than the operator requests.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 26th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    Although it's not relevant to this immediate situation, Thomas Cook are now offering interest free Direct Debit payments of certain holiday bookings.

I suspect it'll be their own brand packages etc., however it's something worth looking at in future.

In my experience these companies are not flexible on payment dates - but certainly call them and try to come to an arrangement.

Good luck.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 26th Nov 17, 10:51 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    stephb34
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:51 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:51 PM
    Although it's not relevant to this immediate situation, Thomas Cook are now offering interest free Direct Debit payments of certain holiday bookings.

I suspect it'll be their own brand packages etc., however it's something worth looking at in future.

In my experience these companies are not flexible on payment dates - but certainly call them and try to come to an arrangement.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan

Direct debit is available on most holidays Thomas cook sell and have been for a while now. The full balance is then due 10 weeks before departure. This still wouldn't help in this case because the poster is wanting to pay at about 7 or 8 weeks before departure.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 27th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    DD is offered on most Thomas Cook, Airtours and Manos branded packages. The last DD is at least 12 weeks prior to departure because that is when cancellation charges kick in.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 27th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    Interest free credit card?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 27th Nov 17, 7:13 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    z1a

Good luck.
    So it should be interest free, you're paying in advance!
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 27th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    stephb34
    DD is offered on most Thomas Cook, Airtours and Manos branded packages. The last DD is at least 12 weeks prior to departure because that is when cancellation charges kick in.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    If paying by direct debit the last payment is 10 weeks before departure that's one of the benefits of having a DD that you get an extra 4 weeks grace. The reason they can do this when the holiday has already gone into cancellation is because the majority of the holiday has been paid for and enough money has been taken to cover the cancellation charges if the customer should default on the last payment.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 28th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    DD is offered on most Thomas Cook, Airtours and Manos branded packages.
    Their in house brands only then.

So it should be interest free, you're paying in advance!
    The post from Stephb34 flagged up the timescale aspect which is a major benefits of DD payments.

TUI card has advantages if booking one of their own brand packages.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/tui-credit-card
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 28-11-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 28th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    stephb34
    Their in house brands only then.

The post from Stephb34 flagged up the timescale aspect which is a major benefits of DD payments.

TUI card has advantages if booking one of their own brand packages.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/tui-credit-card
    No it isn't in house brands only you can do DD on most holidays even cruises but you have to pay the full deposit for the relevant tour operator, whereas with in house brands you can do a low deposit of £50pp short or mid haul or £100pp long haul. There is a minimum time scale to be able to do this, you have to be able to make so many monthly payments. I think its 18 weeks but I could be wrong.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 29th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Thanks - that's interesting and useful intelligence.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 30th Nov 17, 8:32 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I was allowed to pay off the balance for my summer holiday with Thomas Cook one day late, but I had to speak to branch to arrange this. They said they didnt even begin to start looking at contacting customers to tell them the balance was late until the day after so if I did it the morning afterwards this would be fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter