Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6,646Posts
    • 48,717Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST December: Debt Destruction December
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    NST December: Debt Destruction December 26th Nov 17 at 3:14 PM

Debt Destruction December 2017
    Clear Up, Clean Up and Take Control

You CAN do it

2017 is coming to an end - how has this year been for you? December is a perfect time to make plans, to start as you mean to go on and to avoid the traditional failings of January's "resolution" chaos. The year ahead has to be clear in your head, what you want and how you will go about it – this ensures you make progress.

It's time to clear up those niggling feelings of fear and face your debts, get out those envelopes that have been shoved into drawers, clean up the loose ends and call your CC companies and know where you are at and what you owe. Take control of your life.

It's so important that you do this for yourself and do it now. Christmas is often a very expensive time of year and what better time and place to start pulling things together than with us...we are a group of people who are supporting each other to debt freedom. We call ourselves Turtles – find out why here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5048897

(look at post #2)

These are the non-negotiable rules to follow:

1. This Challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st.
    2. You will aim for 15 NSD's. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. You have 16 days for spending - use them wisely. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular children's activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope). This month you will also keep an NSD if you only buy items for the food bank or donate to charity.
    3. You will pay to your debt/savings first. And live off the rest.
    4. You will drop one Christmas outing/party whether with work or people you don't really like. Why waste your money? I am not going to a work do at all!
    5. You will take your lunch to work every single day that you are there. At home? Out and about? You will still plan a ‘packed lunch’ for yourself. No exceptions. You will not darken the doors of cafeterias, coffee shops, take away emporia…
    6. You will not go to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. It is too much temptation to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!

Debt destruction: to destroy your debt (or mortgage), you need a plan. When is your Debt Free Date (DFD)? How much do you need to pay each month to get there? Have you done a Statement of Affairs (SOA)? What are your weaknesses? And strengths? Set your budget for December NOW (see below).

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. There will be other things for later in the month.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health.

Explore your local area – get out and walk, go along those footpaths you have never been up before. Going away? Venture out and be observant. Appreciate the landscape.

Mental health. To continue a recent turtle theme. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.

Budget
    EVERYTHING before you start the month. (Food, gifts, bills, travel, activities, annual stuff…) Get a notebook and write down everything you will be doing in December. (And then use the notebook to record each and every spend for the month.) This budget is to be set in stone – you really do not need those Christmas promotions. Is there an expectation that you will travel more, contribute with gifts/food/drink? Can you make something? Batch cook now. Bake some goodies so that you avoid massive tubs of sweets, fancy biscuits in tins and expensive cakes. Cookie dough can be frozen raw and then cooked in a few minutes when required. Batch cooking doesn’t have to be 24 meals in one go – even doubling up, or ensuring you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch is a good thing.

Evaluate
    the year you have had: what was good, and what was not so good. What did you do well? What was beyond your control? Now look ahead and plan 5 things to go for in 2018.

Remember
    that this is a difficult time for many. Allocate £5 of your food budget to spend on food bank items. Check what they need, get the kids involved, or do it online if that is the only way for you. This is on top of your usual giving this month. Get in the habit of doing good deeds for others.

I can’t say this won’t be hard but we are all here to be encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

(Please do not re-post the entire thread as it makes it too long.)

But do post every day.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 8
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 4th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 25,662 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

I fell a bit off the wagon in November and stopped posting but then have been super organised and pretty much finished the majority of Christmas shopping. Homemade gifts and cards are also well on track. But I got a few night outs etc planned and other things that won't fit with the challenge this month.

I also signed up for two races (one with work as a team building thingy) and one by myself (including a few days by myself like last year in Aug) to have sth to look fwd to and motivate me.

Another motivation to join back in properly next year is that our mortgage deal will be up, we want to start overpaying and decided to extent rather than move - MSE head needed for all those.

So I will just cheerlead from the side this month while taking some rules on board (exterminate, clear up, etc) and fully join you again in January.

All the best for December, Turtles
    Last edited by thriftylass; 04-12-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 48,717 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hi thrifty - have a number! They're free! And you can still wear lycra and wave your pompoms...
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD #2 as well.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 19,591 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 4
    Was a spend day. Only got the tv mag that came out early because of Christmas.
    Managed to sort out quite a few things today.
    Grateful for -
    For something I ordered for my Mum being picked up tomorrow and going to get a refund sorted when they received it.
    Offers of support from GP surgery and other people.
    Friend popping in this evening.
    Having a chilled out evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Kerry Woman, so glad to 'see' you as it were.

It is great you are getting offers of support, and that you have friends coming in to spend time with you. Take time for yourself now .
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 4th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Today I managed a NSD so I’m at 1/15

I’ve had a really busy day today and I’ve not finished yet. Dinner is in the oven, I have to finish some work and then sort out lunches/clean the kitchen. I will then have a bath with my kindle and relax for an hour before bed I think. Busy busy busy.

My mum has told me she’s not getting married abroad now and it getting married in the UK. My bank balance has rejoiced at the news as it means we will not have to touch a credit card and can save for it. It will be significantly cheaper!

I’m grateful for: having the motivation/discipline to cook and keep my NSD, no rain, for having a job even if my hours are stupid at the moment, flexi time as I know I can claim the time back in the future.
    December grocery challenge £136.56/£250 | December NSD 4/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 4th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 35,833 Thanks
    DawnW
    I'm with thrifty, donning the lycra and pompoms a bit this month (goodness, that would be a sight to avoid!!) because OH is still pretty immobile, and my DD is about to have a baby and is needing a lot of support atm, so I have little time.

I am keeping track of spends, decluttered items and NSDs though, and will continue to do so

My budget for groceries, shopping etc will include the things I still need to buy for Christmas, and will be £350. I will use accumulated loyalty points, shopping vouchers saved from surveys etc as well though! Still no idea exactly what we are doing at Christmas, much will depend on how much OH recovers from his back condition, and how much support DD needs with the new baby and little GD. I am therefore holding off buying / planning food etc until the last minute, as I have no idea how many I will be feeding, or what is happening.

I will be reading and encouraging from the sidelines, and will report back on spends, NSDs and decluttering totals at the end of the month

OK, budgets, just to keep myself accountable:
    Gifts £150
    Food, household etc £350
    Fuel £65
    Personal / social £100

Last edited by DawnW; 06-12-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    NSDs for December 7/15
    Decluttering 50/31

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 48,717 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I claim an NSD despite a last-minute trip to the dentist (abcess that needed lancing and a prescription for antibiotics). The start of a long - and costly - process that will take several months.

Today I am grateful that my dentist could fit me in, for the chemist being nearby, for dry weather for walking, for good lessons, for being able to help a colleague, for dd putting together her own viking costume, for a day off tomorrow when the antibiotics should start to kick in, for dd loving the cakes I made (gf/df with betty cr0cker vanilla icing), for podcasts.
    017 sell 351

• DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 4th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Another NSD, resisted all the shiny things. Spotted a few things for Dad to give to mum but will pick those up tomorrow on a planned spendy day. ... I'm beginning to get the hang of this

Caught myself on a bargain site. Tut.

Gratitudes: Walks. Cheerful shop assistants. DD1's food tech meaning I don't cook on Mondays. Buying tonnes of wrapping paper in the post Christmas sales. A quiet night wrapping gifts and fussing with bows, making the pressies that much more personal.
    Debt Busting December NST #3 | NSD 4/15 |
    I can do this!
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 4th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 4 #19 checking in...
    Debt plan - NSD 2/15
    Exterminate - Still no fb, going to read a magazine my mum gave me tonight. Played snakes & ladders with my DS
    Clear up - Jigsaws given away
    Explore - Nothing here today
    Mental Health - Not great today. Still cross I nearly went to the wrong concert! Spent this evening playing snakes & ladders and reading a magazine. I have a Himalayan salt candle holder its very calming but I'm out of tea lights
    Budget - sticking to it OK.
    Evaluate - Discussed more plans for 2018 for family time.
    Remember - £1 given to school charity at the concert as well as £1 for the ticket.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 4th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hope everyones had a good day.

Had a hit & miss sort of day- stuck to my NSD except some YS items & hub gave me 20 pounds he had left over so new budget is as follow ; 147 in the account, 30 in my purse and 10 my brother owes so my budgets gone up to 187. Also managed to save 100 pounds taking me to 600 in my emergency fund (seperate to xmas fund, Edinburgh fund, c parcs fund & house saving) need to get it to 1000. Easy done if tax free child care ever pay me what they owe.

Did my first batch of Christmas wrapping ready for the weekend. Cant face doing it all at once.

Greatful for- being able to save on such a small budget, free bananas at play group and my little boy asking if i wanted to suck his thumb when I was upset lol
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 4th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 24,363 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 1 today and I went out and walked the dogs after returning from work late and before starting my marking. I'm knackered so off to sleep. Night all
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • worklifebalance
    • By worklifebalance 4th Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    worklifebalance
    Spendy day as I got the weekly shopping, petrol and bought lots of bits for a local animal rescue but didn't buy things we didn't need. Long day at work so not much else today
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 £203 2016 £157 2017 £70
    starting mortgage £120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 £5000, 2016 #57 £28866/ £25000
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Reporting my first NSD of the month and all accounts updated.

Tomorrow my plan is to kick start my "december" so will update once underway.

Grateful for DD helping decorate tree, Mr M's wonky veg box (2 family meals so far and produce still ok after a week), heated clothes rail for drying washing and catching up with friends who no longer live locally.
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 4th Dec 17, 11:15 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 7 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 4/31

NSD: still only 1/15 bought online today..had intended to have an NSD today but had email to say my item was back in stock - so had to order straight away as it will sell out again otherwise.

Debt destruction: Have no debt now but not so long ago were 93K in debt so I know that I need to make sure I don't go down that slippery slope again...but we are on a fairly fixed income so need to rein the unnecessary spends which have been creeping up..

Exterminate Nothing bought for myself

Clear up, clean up and take control Tried to make a difference by doing a 15 min cleanup before bed in bathroom which is fast becoming a health hazard. Sadly this didn't work as I was wide awake then till stupid o'clock, no reason that I can think of...Still didn't have to get up early, so made up a little sleep there. Cleared more stuff into dining room, can see spaces appearing now in other rooms, hurrah! Also unpacked & set up a beautiful light in the dining room ....which has ben in its box since I bought it when BHS was closing down.........

Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Will try to do this, and try to take a compliment when it's offered, not something I'm good at!
    Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. Indeed

Explore your local area – Will attempt to explore local area when we go to Ireland, there are lots of opportunities, it's such a beautiful place.

Mental health Good today, did stint in garden which always does the trick. Also can see progress which is helping.

Write down 4 gratitudes each day. Grateful for - Finishing little gift for friend at CS for her birthday, item coming into stock which is for another gift, my first Christmas card, delicious snack of cheese & Sheridans crackers, made in West Cork but stocked over here - in Marks..

Budget Need to do this but not got my head around finances yet, watch this space. better write some stuff down otherwise will forget..

Evaluate the year you have had: . Need to plan 5 things that will happen next year. Still a WIP
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 5th Dec 17, 12:32 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Slight spend on 4th, milk and bicarb-all this talk of twinks hobnobs, thought I'd make some. No bicarb!
    Had a good follow up session at the hospital with rheumatoid arthritis nurse, got to know more about causes etc. Having new tablet alongside existing one but it usually takes 12 weeks to kick in properly. Also been referred to dermatologist.
    Grateful for 1 beautiful sunrise this morning, lovely shades of pink, red and yellow.
    2 lovely arthritis nurse taking time with me.
    3 all meals from stores today, and they were good
    4 won't need a food delivery this week as got loads of stock, so saving money
    5 First chaffinch to be seen visiting feeding station.
    Hugs
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 5th Dec 17, 5:48 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 19,591 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Will aim for 15 NSDs and to make my own lunch/flask of tea if I need to go out for the day etc.

Debt destruction: Do not have any debt. Already paid off my mortgage.

Exterminate Cut down time spent on social media.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. Sadly I will have to sort out things in flat since my Mum’s death, return certain items and get refunds, equipment eg wheelchair. Going to take it slowly. Being positive about myself etc will be hard this month, but have to be gentle with myself and make time for myself. Finances etc I will have to seriously have to try and sort things out this month.

Explore your local area –Already planned to do a few things in and around London.

Mental health. This is something that I have to plan to aid to cope with things.

Budget Really have to be careful now with spending etc.

Evaluate the year you have had: Spending valuable time with my Mum, having some temp work and did some voluntary work. My Mum’s death was beyond my control Still need to plan 5 things for 2018 – will plan to do this later on this month.

Remember that this is a difficult time for many. Found that my local Salvation Army already sorted out food items for Christmas, but they need toiletries for when homeless people come in for shower etc. over Christmas. Will try and sort this out within the next few weeks.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Dec 17, 6:45 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 10,238 Thanks
    Florence J
    Your posts are so lovely Kerry Woman, I hope you have all the family and friends around you that you need and that the things that need to happen now go seamlessly as they can.

Debt destruction: As suspected I need to get into debt in order to survive this month. This is just because I haven't started work yet. The difference is last year I borrowed the debt from a high interest credit card, and this year it gets to be 0% from my OH. It is still far from an ideal situation, I grew up with Destiny's Child and the song 'Independent Women' so I have always taken it as a point of pride to pay my own way in life, and I don't like being in debt to anyone for any amount. (The reverse is also true, for instance I still remember that a friend owes me £15 from 9 years ago)

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. I am being a bit more proactive. What works for me is writing my day's to do list the night before so when I wake up the next day I can refer to it and structure my day better.

Clear up, clean up and take control. This will lead into the 'Remember' bit as well, but my OH and I are going to go through our wardrobe's tonight as tomorrow at his work there is a clothes collection for the homeless.

Explore your local area – I haven't done this yet, but I think I will go look at Christmas houses soon.

Mental health. I have counselling on Monday's and last night's session was good. I worked through a few things.
    I am trying to be more mindful and when I relax with a film I want to really watch the film rather then just be on my laptop, so I am trying to find the time each day to watch my shows actively rather than passively.

Budget EVERYTHING before you start the month.
    I do need to get on with this and work out exactly what I need to borrow. The food budget is looking very good though.

Evaluate the year you have had:
    I think that 2017 has been a challenging but ultimately good year. I achieved 4/5 of the goals I set in January-surpassing some of them-and the shared goal OH and I set were nearly all achieved as well.

Remember that this is a difficult time for many. Have donated to the food bank I volunteered at last Saturday, will do a clothes collection and another sweep of the cupboards and/or supermarket shelves.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Dec 17, 7:35 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 48,717 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Dotty daisy - a friend has rheumatoid arthritis and has found that she is one of the minority who need to avoid food from the 'deadly nightshade' family - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and other things that I can't remember. And caffeine is a huge no-no for her. Don't know if avoiding thos would help.

Kerry Woman - take your time, there is no rush to get things done. Do look after yourself.
    017 sell 351

• clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 5th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 8,624 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Morning all

I am very sorry to hear of your loss Kerry Woman but am glad your mum got to spend her final time at home

Spends update-
    Fri £29 morrisons (party food for friends party I hosted), £14 on 3 course birthday lunch
    Saturday- spa at centre parks already paid for. Spent £5.50 in mcdonalds on way home but cheaper than eating at centre parks. Also spent £40 on petrol and £2 on sweets
    Sunday and Monday - NSD

Today I need to buy a parking permit for Friday at work fri will be a spend day but it's too inconvenient to buy it then as the car park is a bit of a walk and have to buy in the building. Will go to morrisons on way home and get washing up liquid as well as ran out.

Need to do finances again to check on track as had few things that took ages to clear in bank.

Not going to get time to explore here before Xmas but just arranged to go and see seals on New Year's Day at a local beach. Plan for next year is to explore beaches more as we have loads less than 1 hour away

I have cancelled an event next week, possibly going to cancel another

Food spends might go up as going to knock protein shakes on head. Don't taste as nice as they did last time (new formula) and really not enjoying them. Total waste of money in Black Friday sale but will stick on eBay. Should hopefully get at least £50 back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin