Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6,654Posts
    • 48,787Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST December: Debt Destruction December
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    NST December: Debt Destruction December 26th Nov 17 at 3:14 PM

Debt Destruction December 2017
    Clear Up, Clean Up and Take Control

You CAN do it

2017 is coming to an end - how has this year been for you? December is a perfect time to make plans, to start as you mean to go on and to avoid the traditional failings of January's "resolution" chaos. The year ahead has to be clear in your head, what you want and how you will go about it – this ensures you make progress.

It's time to clear up those niggling feelings of fear and face your debts, get out those envelopes that have been shoved into drawers, clean up the loose ends and call your CC companies and know where you are at and what you owe. Take control of your life.

It's so important that you do this for yourself and do it now. Christmas is often a very expensive time of year and what better time and place to start pulling things together than with us...we are a group of people who are supporting each other to debt freedom. We call ourselves Turtles – find out why here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5048897

(look at post #2)

These are the non-negotiable rules to follow:

1. This Challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st.
    2. You will aim for 15 NSD's. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. You have 16 days for spending - use them wisely. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular children's activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope). This month you will also keep an NSD if you only buy items for the food bank or donate to charity.
    3. You will pay to your debt/savings first. And live off the rest.
    4. You will drop one Christmas outing/party whether with work or people you don't really like. Why waste your money? I am not going to a work do at all!
    5. You will take your lunch to work every single day that you are there. At home? Out and about? You will still plan a ‘packed lunch’ for yourself. No exceptions. You will not darken the doors of cafeterias, coffee shops, take away emporia…
    6. You will not go to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. It is too much temptation to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!

Debt destruction: to destroy your debt (or mortgage), you need a plan. When is your Debt Free Date (DFD)? How much do you need to pay each month to get there? Have you done a Statement of Affairs (SOA)? What are your weaknesses? And strengths? Set your budget for December NOW (see below).

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. There will be other things for later in the month.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health.

Explore your local area – get out and walk, go along those footpaths you have never been up before. Going away? Venture out and be observant. Appreciate the landscape.

Mental health. To continue a recent turtle theme. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.

Budget
    EVERYTHING before you start the month. (Food, gifts, bills, travel, activities, annual stuff…) Get a notebook and write down everything you will be doing in December. (And then use the notebook to record each and every spend for the month.) This budget is to be set in stone – you really do not need those Christmas promotions. Is there an expectation that you will travel more, contribute with gifts/food/drink? Can you make something? Batch cook now. Bake some goodies so that you avoid massive tubs of sweets, fancy biscuits in tins and expensive cakes. Cookie dough can be frozen raw and then cooked in a few minutes when required. Batch cooking doesn’t have to be 24 meals in one go – even doubling up, or ensuring you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch is a good thing.

Evaluate
    the year you have had: what was good, and what was not so good. What did you do well? What was beyond your control? Now look ahead and plan 5 things to go for in 2018.

Remember
    that this is a difficult time for many. Allocate £5 of your food budget to spend on food bank items. Check what they need, get the kids involved, or do it online if that is the only way for you. This is on top of your usual giving this month. Get in the habit of doing good deeds for others.

I can’t say this won’t be hard but we are all here to be encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

(Please do not re-post the entire thread as it makes it too long.)

But do post every day.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 7
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 35,855 Thanks
    DawnW
    Day 3/31

NSD: 1/15, nothing spent today

Debt destruction: We no longer have any debt, but as OH has retired and I am semi retired, our income is much lower than in the debt days, so we need to take care.

Exterminate I have deleted a timewasting game on my phone.

Clear up, clean up and take control. I have started a CS bag, which currently has 3 items in it. I am also determined to keep on top of the paper mountains that tend to accumulate!

Explore your local area I tend to try to do this anyway, via twice daily dog walks. It is difficult to persuade the dog to take a different route sometimes though!

Mental health. A bit fed up atm, OH is still not very mobile, DD is imminently to give birth, so I am a bit worried about her as well I did manage half an hour in the garden this morning though, which always cheers me up

Daily Gratitudes Grateful for having a nice warm home, and sufficient of everything. I am very lucky!

Budget Still to do.

Evaluate the year you have had: This is quite difficult for me, as it hasn't been a great year health wise for me, and latterly, for OH. Hoping for better things going forward!

Remember I managed to make donations to 2 good causes at the end of last month as I had kept spends down (aided by this challenge). Hope to do the same again, but to kick off, I donated £5.15 worth of food items to the food bank collection point when I did the shopping yesterday. As it is almost Christmas I decided to avoid the 'staple' kind of things I normally donate, and chose tea bags, a jar of coffee, biscuits, and sweets for children - everyone needs a treat now and then
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 55/31

• Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 3rd Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Still havenít managed a NSD yet as we went shopping. 8 selection boxes for Christmas have been purchased from Home Bargains. Itís all I can afford to get my nieces/nephews and it came out of the grocery budget so we are trying to be careful with what food we actually buy. Also got some more dishwasher tablets and shampoo. Our biggest spend was there at £35 but itís also a big portion of the Christmas list.

Topped up on veg at Aldi - spent an extra £25 there and got some great yellow sticker bargains at Asda:

Salmon - 40p
    Coley fish - 40p
    Cod - 30p
    2 loaves of fresh bread - 20p
    3 packets of seeded rolls- 45p (15p each)

So we decided to treat ourselves to some nice pate and cheese. Spent £10. Got loads. Bargain.

Grocery budget is now at £87.41 (ish) will know 100% when yesterdayís shop at Coop shows up on online banking as OH canít remember how much he spent. So £15 is guesstimated for now.

Iím feeling very MSE at the moment. Had toad in the hole for dinner yesterday - left out some sausages which Iíve put in the stuffing for todayís dinner. The packet says it makes 5 stuffing balls but with the extra sausage meat, an extra onion and an egg (to bind it all properly) Iíve made 19 stuffing balls! Will cook them and freeze the leftovers.

Iím also going to make Yorkshire pudding and freeze leftovers.

Iím roasting a chicken for dinner so will use leftovers to make 2 individual pies and use up some mushrooms from the fridge for tomorrowís dinner. Will also take out some pastry from the freezer!

Iíve still got to sort out lunches though. Not sure if I should parsnip soup or leek and potato? Will go lovely with the 15p rolls!

Managed to spend 20 mins in the garden today sweeping up leaves. Iím glad it hasnít rained again.

Today Iím grateful for: yellow sticker finds, enough food to last all week, the weather, this forum for keeping me motivated!
    December grocery challenge £136.56/£250 | December NSD 4/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    • 6,518 Posts
    • 65,773 Thanks
    greent
    Hope you feel better soon, foxholes!

NSDs 1

Lunches taken/ prepped at home cheese and tomato toastie for lunch (in our 28yo toastie maker - which was a free gift for opening up a catalogue account )

Debt destruction: Aiming for DFD (exc BTL mtge) of 10/18
    Exterminate Facebook gone from phone - did put it back on today for adding pics to listings - off again now. Thought that was acceptable as it was a productive use of it, rather than just aimlessly wasting time!

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear space by removing 31 items - 6/31 so far (14 bundles of items listed on flebay today) Clean up your way of talking to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. -
    Explore your local area Ė get out and walk
    Mental health.. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: Write down 4 gratitudes each day.
    Actually getting the things listed on flebay made me feel good, tbh - have been procrastinating about it for far too long!
    * YS bakery goodies from yesterday being eaten today - yum!
    * DS1 getting his promotion this weekend at cadet camp
    * what5app fun 'chat' with DD
    * Ga1axy hot chocolate with whipped cream - drool...
    * a warm house

Budget EVERYTHING
    Food 33.01/450 - small spend @tesc0 today for some lunch bits
    Social £120
    Gifts £125
    Fuel 50/65
    Make extra money 14.86/50
    Evaluate (Done) Now to 2018: (targets set)
    Remember to do
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 3rd Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Apologies wifi a bit dodgy here but everything going to plan so far. Delivery of basics came from Tesco this morning (much cheaper than the very nice but expensive local supermarket), bought fruit and vegetables at the market yesterday and have some nice meals planned using produce from the local butcher.
    Will check in when I can.
    • worklifebalance
    • By worklifebalance 3rd Dec 17, 5:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    worklifebalance
    Had a pretty quiet day yesterday. OH has man flu and 1 dog has a sore leg so a quiet day was needed but did manage to do bits around the house in between watching rugby.NSD 1

Today was a busy day as I volunteer at an animal shelter. Stopped off on the way home for milk and new Xmas trees. Got 2 young dogs this year so necessary purchase so they fit on our window sills. Still got housework and my own animals to sort so that's the plan for this evening
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 £203 2016 £157 2017 £70
    starting mortgage £120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 £5000, 2016 #57 £28866/ £25000
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,787 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for bus apps that help to plan journeys to new venues, for a lift home from being out, for dh getting lunch ready, for dd and I sorting through 2 boxes of bits and bobs, for dd starting on decorating her tree, for finishing off some crafting tasks, for getting the go ahead for a charity collection at work.
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 3rd Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 19,604 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 3
    Thanks everyone for the lovely messages. Much appreciated.
    NSD - 2/15
    Did not venture out today. Caught up with sleep. Did a small bit of sorting out thing early in the morning when I got up about 3am. Did go back to sleep and got up at 10.30am Went back this afternoon for a couple of hours. Feel a bit more rested.
    Will try and sort out things for the challenge later this week hopefully.
    Grateful for:
    Being in contact with brother, sister, nephew, 2 of my nieces and brother in law today.
    Being in contact with some friends.
    Getting some rest and sleep.
    Quick and easy food to have to eat today.
    Lovely messages on this thread.
    Catching up with a few episodes of Murder She Wrote. My Mummy always loved this programme and said who did the murder early on in the programme. We have seen all of the episodes many times over. Will be carrying on watching the programme as I also love watching it.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 3rd Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 3 #19 Checking on....
    Debt plan - NSD 1/15 (if charity donation doesn't spoil it). I am staggered by how much I spend without thinking yesterday added £35 my spending that I hadn't budgeted for but were necessary (IMO). Need to work this into my budget. We did receive an unexpected refund due to the married tax allowance of £226 this will help straighten me out and even pay more off debt this month.
    Exterminate - Not using fb but now browsing online which is tempting to spend so need to make better use of my chill out time.
    Clear Up - 2 pairs of DS unworn outgrown shoes given to a friend. A few compliments received on my haircut/outfit/weight loss so feeling good!?
    Explore - A local big house had a charity Christmas light switch on. We walked up and were invited inside the house all decorated beautifully.
    Mental Health - I've noticed I'm getting more forgetful hoping its just because I've got so much going on but think it might actually be too much. A chance comment by a school mum made me realise I nearly was going to the wrong concert tomorrow! So unlike me usually very organised and double check the details.
    Budget - I'm not sticking to my already tight budget luckily have an unexpected cheque but that won't happen every month.
    Evaluate -Make the most of DS being young. Also need to think about a possible trip to Oz in 2018. DH grandad is looking frail.
    Remember - Donation to MIND charity at light switch on of £2
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 3rd Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hope everyone's had a good weekend.

I have 147 quid in the budget until 22nd plus a tenner my brother owes me and a tenner in my purse so 167 pound. Separate budget for Edinburgh. Ill update every time I spend need to keep to budget.

Will have a fortune if tax free childcare ever pay their due haha!!
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 3rd Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Kerry Woman, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you have others around you to share memories with.

Reporting in,

Clear up: Bag load of books to the CS. Tat in the bin. Some bits to relist too.
    Explore: Nope. Unless you count walking around a pub car park, and bird watching?
    Spending plans formatted to excel sheet.
    Yesterday was NSD, today I caved in to YS bargains.
    House is now competing with Blackpool Illuminations; tree’s up, as well as the ones in the kids rooms, and the rest of the house! Discovered my sister won’t make it up for Christmas. This upset mum and will tarnish the festive period. Also discovered that a planned holiday next year is about to fall through, it was the main present for Christmas, so A: we are financially better off B: Another smudge on Christmas.
    Very pleased with past me, who had the spendwithall to buy stuff in the post Christmas sales, and stuff them in the Christmas decorations boxes. Kids were well pleased to find make your own stuff, it’s filled up plans for the coming weekends.
    Tomorrow I need to take mum to dentist, get to the gym, I plan to make some quiche with leftovers.

Everyone seems to be off to York, lovely place for Christmas
    Debt Busting December NST #3 | NSD 4/15 |
    I can do this!
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Dec 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,787 Thanks
    apple muncher
    BBK - you keep your NSD as your only spend was a donation to charity.

Kerry Woman - glad to hear you had some sleep. I love Murder she wrote too - the baddies are so obvious!
    017 sell 351

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 3rd Dec 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 22,389 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Not spent any money. Not doing great. Have been struggling with my room all day and it's slow - progress but slow. I have a small bag and have put snmall items I am taking away (pills, breathing exercises, address book) into it as I find/ sort them (rest of pills put into the correct drawer and packaging into paper sack).

Looks like I will be taking the Christmas cards and two large embroidery pieces with me - one needs to be posted by 11th December and the other (much simpler thankfully) needs to be completed by the 13th.

Beloved was looking at christmas decorations and I suggested she looked at what we had first - two large baskets moved into their room (+ some bits of craft stuff) win. The baskets were under the large pet cage I used as a holding centre for lots of paperwork (segregated to sort out later). This had to be moved and I'm sort of back to square one.

It will get done, I can't take it any longer (and need to find threads and some bits to go with the presents I need to finish whilst away). I need to be much more selective about the craft stuff.

Today I am grateful for my bed, for lots of food in the freezer (tea was garlic sausage and pasta salad from the fridge which had got buried). Some things moved from the fridge to the freezer, not sure if they will be okay but they will definitely go off in the fridge. Grateful for past work I have done (can substitute a nearly finished piece of work for the one I intended to do) and for having so many cardboard boxes I can afford to chuck the least useful ones.

This is probably it from me until Friday evening.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 8/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 619/2017
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,787 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope that you and your mum have a lovely time away, mothernerd.
    017 sell 351

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 3rd Dec 17, 11:39 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 7 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 3/31

NSD: 1/15 bought online today..

Debt destruction: Have no debt now but not so long ago were 93K in debt so I know that I need to make sure I don't go down that slippery slope again...but we are on a fairly fixed income so need to rein the unnecessary spends which have been creeping up..

Exterminate Nothing bought for myself

Clear up, clean up and take control. More clearing of items into dining room & spaces now appearing in other rooms - yay, However progress is slow, mainly because all the glass & china removed from the cabinets needs washing as all quite dusty. Also am putting items in cupboards so I know where they are, instead of all stuffed in anyhow. Should make catering a breeze as I won't be frantically searching for a plate/glass/cup etc at the last minute,

Clean up your way of talking to yourself Ė clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Will try to do this, and try to take a compliment when it's offered, not something I'm good at!
    Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. Indeed

Explore your local area Ė Will attempt to explore local area when we go to Ireland, there are lots of opportunities, it's such a beautiful place.

Mental health Had a blip today totally out of the blue. Watching a programme on catch up whilst eating lunch, in this programme emergency responders called out to man who they couldn't save. Wife & daughter were told, then daughter said she would say goodbye to dad & I just burst into tears. Probably because I never got to say goodbye to my dad, & never grieved at the time, too much to do & a 200 mile trip e/way to sort everything out. DH very supportive then & now. Went into garden where I always feel best, feel much better now.

Write down 4 gratitudes each day. Grateful for - Progress on clearing, DH support, little robin keeping me company in the garden, online ordering

Budget Need to do this but not got my head around finances yet, watch this space

Evaluate the year you have had: . Need to plan 5 things that will happen next year.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 4th Dec 17, 1:09 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Day 4 first proper post
    My budgets are
    Groceries to include xnas/ny £350
    Petrol £75
    c/c repayments circa £500 see below
    bills £400
    entertainment £100 including hair, chiropody, acupuncture 6 weekly

Allocated £500 to debts, but have rejigged finances this weekend and hopefully all will be on 0% except Mbna which is on 4.9% until 2022.
    Only have 2 xmas do's as retired. One is free, mum paying for the other.
    Always have packed lunch and am trying to stay out of coffee bars, but meet my friend once a week there for coffee
    Entertainment am part of group which gets cheap or free tickets for concerts, plays, opera etc., so spend around £10 per month on those.
    No money spare for the sales.
    DEBT DESTRUCTION
    I don't have a dfd but will have better idea this time next year!!!
    Will do a SOA so I know where I am although use YNAB
    EXTERMINATE
    Reading posts for local fb selling sites, don't know why I do it!
    Also limit my online game to the 5 games a day given free, I never spend on games.
    CLEAR UP, CLEAN UP, TAKE CONTROL
    Really need to get a grip on clearing and cleaning, will work out how I can achieve this. Need to stop dwelling on the past which would probably make me love me more it wasn't my fault.
    Have started to take PROPER control of finances, saying no is a good start.
    EXPLORE
    Moved to this small town August 2016. Happy where I live and handy for bus routes and local shopping, but don't know the area yet. Will try new part each week.
    MENTAL/PHYSICAL HEALTH
    Neither particularly good. Have hospital apt tomorrow and will address one issue. Mental due to the past rearing it's ugly head, trying to get to grips with it
    BUDGET EVERYTHING
    Will record all spends in December in little notebook. Will also batch cook/bake, menu plan and buy to suit. Have family next weekend, haven't planned anything yet.
    EVALUATE 2017
    Had two good holidays, second without my caring roles, much needed. Have committed to same 2018 again with friends not caring roles. Good for the soul not alas for the bank balance.
    Things getting done at last after dodgy but recommended builder made a ....sup of the jobs, which cost extra to rectify.
    Good friends helped out in garden
    Didn't add to debt, just stood still.
    Happy being here
    REMEMBER
    Food bank and Dogs Trust

Have tried to take control yesterday, Sunday, and applied for 0% finance, balance transfers. If they go through money management will be easier. Cancelled d/d's and s/o's for charity lotteries, English Heritage-will keep National Trust as I use it a lot when visiting eldest dd in the Midlands-a family history site and a magazine subscription due to end soon. Just keeping my sponsor a guide dog puppy until Sept 2018 and will then cancel that one.

Looooong post, but it has made me feel better about things and now it is on paper I can see how it looks.

Hugs DottyD
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 4th Dec 17, 1:15 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Forgot my gratitudes
    1 The lovely birds visiting my feeding station
    2 My youngest dd mental health improving
    3 Our dogs making me laugh
    4 The flowers still blooming in the front garden, including my favourite 'pinks', my gran always had them in her garden-happy memories
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 4th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Today should be NSD #3. Hoping to stay out the shops until Fri.

Bad habit- Doing ok at not dwelling on negative thoughts

31 items- Will look for something to clear out later

Explore & something that makes me happy - going to wonder through town later looking at the xmas lights with my boys.

Budget- the same; 147 in acc, 10 my brother owes me & 10 in my purse until 23rd with money for Christmas food & edinburgh already put away.

Remember- considering a donation of fuel to food banks for heating instead of food

Wil do gratitudes later
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,313 Thanks
    dolly84
    Morning all.

I hope to not be spending any money today. I have some ebay sales to post so may do that today (still waiting for one to pay) but that isn't really my money. Five things decluttered plus a bag full of DS's xbox games that is going to the charity shop, these are the ones he can't trade in or re-sell.

I have been cycling this morning and will dog walk this afternoon and run this evening, I need to make a cottage pie for tea, make bread rolls for lunch boxes, sort out laundry, vacuum, clean bathroom and do some paid work.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 4th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    We have been taken down by a sickness bug, I will try to keep track and will be back soon to update on my December so far.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 8,131 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    DEBT DESTRUCTION
    Started the year with mortgage of 114,881 now it is 108,800 going down slowly
    Daily interest was £6.05 now £5.77

EXTERMINATE
    Still no fakebook. 4/10

CLEAR UP, CLEAN UP, TAKE CONTROL
    Changed all the beds and laundered.
    Menus planned with what I have in
    Did not go YS shopping yesterday as I felt poo. Also, I do not really need anything for the next few days. It was hard not to go anyway.

EXPLORE
    Keeping close to home as still feel like I am coming down with a cold.

Mental Health
    Mine is fine, but I have something to ask .
    If you or a relative has a child at university in a houseshare, can you advise them to get and to keep a note of the home phone number of their housemates parents. When I was a student, you had a landline, and once a week or for so your housemates parents would call and if anything was wrong (like you were really, really, worried about them) there was a point of contact.
    If they are in halls and someone raises a concern then something can be done. Someone can be sent round to check on them, but if they are not in halls and the housemates are concerned but have no way to contact the parents, then there is a real problem.
    The University has a duty of confidentially so can't give out contact details or contact parents .
    This is a really difficult time for some students, So if you have a student, check up on them and also, make sure they have contact details for their housemates or at least an email address.
    Hopefully they will never ever need to use them. But if you are picking up your student soon, please take this opportunity.
    Sorry if I sound preachy. But if i can save someone from a 'why didn't ' someone tell me ???' scenario, then I will risk it.

Budget - like a pro!

EVALUATE 2017
    Stuff got done. Not as much as I wanted, but still less to do than when we started.
    REMEMBER
    Did some computer stuff for housebound step-gran that she cannot do. Another of her contemporaries died last night. So checking up on her daily with made up excuses.

Gratitudes :
    That I know what my kids are up to.
    That we have nothing to complain about.
    Washing machines and tumble dryers
    Clean sheets
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 04-12-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter