Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6,644Posts
    • 48,713Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST December: Debt Destruction December
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    NST December: Debt Destruction December 26th Nov 17 at 3:14 PM

Debt Destruction December 2017
    Clear Up, Clean Up and Take Control

You CAN do it

2017 is coming to an end - how has this year been for you? December is a perfect time to make plans, to start as you mean to go on and to avoid the traditional failings of January's "resolution" chaos. The year ahead has to be clear in your head, what you want and how you will go about it – this ensures you make progress.

It's time to clear up those niggling feelings of fear and face your debts, get out those envelopes that have been shoved into drawers, clean up the loose ends and call your CC companies and know where you are at and what you owe. Take control of your life.

It's so important that you do this for yourself and do it now. Christmas is often a very expensive time of year and what better time and place to start pulling things together than with us...we are a group of people who are supporting each other to debt freedom. We call ourselves Turtles – find out why here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5048897

(look at post #2)

These are the non-negotiable rules to follow:

1. This Challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st.
    2. You will aim for 15 NSD's. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. You have 16 days for spending - use them wisely. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular children's activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope). This month you will also keep an NSD if you only buy items for the food bank or donate to charity.
    3. You will pay to your debt/savings first. And live off the rest.
    4. You will drop one Christmas outing/party whether with work or people you don't really like. Why waste your money? I am not going to a work do at all!
    5. You will take your lunch to work every single day that you are there. At home? Out and about? You will still plan a ‘packed lunch’ for yourself. No exceptions. You will not darken the doors of cafeterias, coffee shops, take away emporia…
    6. You will not go to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. It is too much temptation to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!

Debt destruction: to destroy your debt (or mortgage), you need a plan. When is your Debt Free Date (DFD)? How much do you need to pay each month to get there? Have you done a Statement of Affairs (SOA)? What are your weaknesses? And strengths? Set your budget for December NOW (see below).

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. There will be other things for later in the month.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health.

Explore your local area – get out and walk, go along those footpaths you have never been up before. Going away? Venture out and be observant. Appreciate the landscape.

Mental health. To continue a recent turtle theme. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.

Budget
    EVERYTHING before you start the month. (Food, gifts, bills, travel, activities, annual stuff…) Get a notebook and write down everything you will be doing in December. (And then use the notebook to record each and every spend for the month.) This budget is to be set in stone – you really do not need those Christmas promotions. Is there an expectation that you will travel more, contribute with gifts/food/drink? Can you make something? Batch cook now. Bake some goodies so that you avoid massive tubs of sweets, fancy biscuits in tins and expensive cakes. Cookie dough can be frozen raw and then cooked in a few minutes when required. Batch cooking doesn’t have to be 24 meals in one go – even doubling up, or ensuring you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch is a good thing.

Evaluate
    the year you have had: what was good, and what was not so good. What did you do well? What was beyond your control? Now look ahead and plan 5 things to go for in 2018.

Remember
    that this is a difficult time for many. Allocate 」5 of your food budget to spend on food bank items. Check what they need, get the kids involved, or do it online if that is the only way for you. This is on top of your usual giving this month. Get in the habit of doing good deeds for others.

I can’t say this won’t be hard but we are all here to be encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

(Please do not re-post the entire thread as it makes it too long.)

But do post every day.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: 」3708/」4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage 」23,486 (01/14: 」78,201; 01/15: 」59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 5
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 2nd Dec 17, 12:07 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #1/31.
    Not a NSD but everything bought was on my list with no deviation. Tomorrow will be a spend day meeting up with friends but budgeted for.

Kerry Woman my thoughts with you and your mum.
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • worklifebalance
    • By worklifebalance 2nd Dec 17, 1:16 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    worklifebalance
    Long day at work followed by a Xmas dinner so not a NSD as needed petrol. Grateful for the milder weather so I didn't have a 200 mile journey on icey roads. Will try to have a NSD tomorrow and start with the decluttering. The house definitely needs it. Will also look at budgets for the month
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 」203 2016 」157 2017 」70
    starting mortgage 」120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 」5000, 2016 #57 」28866/ 」25000
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 31,273 Thanks
    dolly84
    Kerry Woman - sorry to hear about your mum - take care of yourself x

Toni'sFriend - have a lovely holiday, I hope the Lakes stay dry.

Badbookkeeper - I remember teaching my kids to tie their shoes and wondered at the time how anyone ever learns how to do it, it sounds so complicated.

Up super early today, had a big bowl of porridge and two large coffees and am now ready to go cycling. I plan to drop some books in at the library this morning and also post some ebay sales.

I have sold 3 things on ebay overnight so that is 3/31 items decluttered.
    Total Debt 01/14 」13043.00, now 」0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • SavvySaver17
    • By SavvySaver17 2nd Dec 17, 9:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SavvySaver17
    Check in 1/31 NSD 0/15

Debt - 」100 paid off yesterday!!

Exterminate - I知 going to try and be more decisive, I知 a huge over thinker and I壇 love to break that habit.

Clear up - I知 listing more items on flea bay this weekend and any money made from sales will come straight off my credit card debt. Will encourage DS to give any toys to charity he has outgrown.

Explore - I知 heading into the city today, will make sure I take in the sights and venture a little further than my usual route.

Mental health - I知 an anxious soul. I知 better busy than sat with lots of thinking time. I知 grateful for family and friends, a warm home and to be able to control my debt and stop it spiralling.

Budget - all set up on an excel spreadsheet, I love changing the font colour to green when it痴 paid and adjusting the totals!!

Evaluate - it痴 been a quiet and healthy 2017. I知 still having a think on aims for next year. Will update this section soon.

Remember - will find out details of a local food bank.

Enjoy Saturday 😊
    」3,333 credit card debt to shift!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 2nd Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Today is a spendy day as taking kids to York will stop at aldi & pick up a few bits to keep me ticking over until fri. So still on 1

Keeping my savings goals in mind & fairly confident I can keep in budget next year. Big weakness is days out so i need to prioritise using passes I already have. Put money aside for sons christening think I can do it cheaper so extra funds will go to lapland UK tickets and using parents time share type thingy to go paris with them - keeping cost low but still living life with my babies

Bad habit- doing ok on my anxious thoughts

Clear out & remember- going to give some tins I got free to food bank

Explore & happiness- off tp York Xmas fayre and some light show I have tickets for Reviews are awful but I am going to be a good sport & make what I can out of it- 1st world problems!

Greatful for- friends, my son being so kind at only 2 and my super long scarf on cold days, although my toddler always takes it and snuggles it and it gets trampled on the ground. It washes though and he loves it, he doesnt trample it on purpose its just so long I remind myself he wont want to snuggle into my scarf forever & I must cherish my kids being so small
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 2nd Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Didn’t manage to post yesterday was didn’t get home until Midnight. That’s Christmas party 1 underway. So, here’s the lowdown.

I have been paid - overpayment on Credit Card 1 Done. 」850 in the joint account. I have a few engagements this month so I have allocated everything out to the last penny. I have a budget and I can’t go over it.

Debt Destruction - we should have made a significant dent in the Credit Cards by the end of 2018, but realistically, it’ll be 2019 until they are all cleared. I gave a plan though, ready and rearing to go.

Budget - 」250 for food shopping including house bits.
    」50 entertainment budget (a trip to the cinema to see Star Wars when it’s out is on the cards).
    Personal budget - 」10 a week spending money
    」50 per social outing (3 of them) cannot spend over this. When it’s gone it’s gone. I’ve managed to get out of one of them (I had 4 this month). Christmas is expensive.

Evaluate - this year has had its ups and downs. Family losses but also our wonderful wedding and marriage. The main goal this year as to save money for the wedding - we managed to save over 」5,000. We have a little on the credit card and a lot more on another. Credit card 2 is leftover wedding spends (」2,256) Credit Card 3 is our Honeymoon as we put half cash/half credit card towards it (」787). I’ve managed a grab a better deal for our mortgage which reduce payments by just over 」100. Will see the fruits of that in January.

Clear up - I like this goal. An item a day. Clearing the tip that is my house.

Explore - Must have/take more walks. We have some nice scenery/parks if you make the effort to walk to it and it does us and the dog good.

Mental Health - Try to be positive. Don’t let work stress me out. I must keRn how to say no. One of my supervisors acknowledged he’d given me so much to do the other week it left me exhausted and tired by Friday and I felt I’ll. All because I’m to scared to say no, I can’t do this. I’ll do it and just not have lunch to make the time, or stay later, or my new favourite - take my laptop home and work in the evening. It needs to stop. Now.

15 NSD is a good target. Fingers crossed I hit it!

Remember to take lunch to work every day. This is important. Must hit this target! Doing lunch the night before is always easier in the morning. Maybe I’ll set myself a target of not sitting down/relaxing until dinner sorted/kitchen cleaned and lunch for tomorrow made. We will see how that goes but it’s something I do need to improve on.

Xmas shopping - this will have to come out food shop (little bits) and leftover personal money. Have a budget of 」50 for OH. I have some picture frames for parents presents (thinking wedding pictures). Otherwise, not a lot at all. Might have to get crafty and creative.

Yesterday was not a NSD as I had the first Christmas outing (staff work do). I have 」10 left over from my budget so I’ll try and sort out a Christmas present with the leftovers. Expecting one NSD to start the ball rolling this weekend.

I’m grateful that I didn’t drink too much and therefore do not have a hangover!
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 02-12-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    December grocery challenge 」136.56/」250 | December NSD 4/15
    Credit Card 1: 」145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: 」2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: 」787.60 (0%) Car Finance: 」7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: 」111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 2nd Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Massive hugs Kerry Woman, take care of both of you and make this as positive as you can and hope you get the love and support you need (family experience tells me that the palliative care staff are very good).

Sorry to be late to the party but have had two fall into bed nights. When I reported in on Thursday I was on the bed and apart from doing a bit of washing up, I stayed there.

Early start yesterday, but feeling sick and dizzy (may be tablets side effect but more likely to be the extensive bus riding and the chase to get my pills). Got ready slowly but steadily (had to stop and hold onto something if I went too fast - love that bathroom towel rail), then phoned mum. She wanted to come to town to do shopping, I wanted to go there with all my stuff (3 bags and a bin bag) and come back into town after the hairdresser had been. Phoned 4 times and got no reply so rather anxiously called the taxi and went there (I have been in this situation before). Mum had been in the shower and had not heard the phone.

Put away bread and milk (so Saturday visitor's can take some away if she is not going to use it all), rubbish in the bin (she has lots of room and we are struggling with a week and a half to go). Persuaded her to do Christmas cards for her partner's family (」10 per great-grandchild, but only a card for anyone else). I have also written the cards for mine and my brother's children but will sort them when we get back.

Hairdresser came did mum's hair and then mine. Not sure about mine (was very bouffant but after a night's sleep it's more flat with flicky up bits, more me and it's got to be better than bedraggled/ growing it out). I was expecting a spendy day but mum decided to pay for both of us. We ate, finished off the cards and travelled into town.

Also put the label on mum's suitcase, found her toiletries bag, left the case open on the table so she can pack easily, phoned to make my annula foot appointment, tried to order flowers (answering machine) and contacted the WTC people as they have sent me a letter saying they will continue to pay me (a reduced amount) when i think it should have stopped altogether and that I owe them. He fed the information into the computer and I will get another letter but he thinks it is right (treating the Carer's Allowance as income and I am still well under the threshold). Won't be spending the money yet, they can demand it back at anytime, even if they have made the errrors.

Mum sailed ahead with her walker, I followed behind with two heavy bags and more were added. Shop was widely distributed but done in a logical order. We got through mum's short list plus a few items she thought of/ saw as we went round. Slipper and shoes (look like shoes, feel like slippers), new skirt and trousers, Christmas card for the person who gave her the cards she is using, owl rucksack for me (she was looking in the shoe shop window after we came out and suggested I have a smaller rucksack - she doesn't like me using a rucksack but she wants to put her sandwiches in mine on Monday - it's much easier as it leaves me handsfree when I am helping her) which I had seen (for the past 2 years) on a stall on the market, new bag for her, tissues and finally flowers, one lot to be delivered and one lot delivered by me.

Taxi was a half an hour wait but the florist let us stay inside - mum kept offering to let me have a turn sitting on her walker but didn't get up.

Went home, ate leftover curry, went out to mum's cousin's with the flowers and her birthday card (good chat and offer of a puppy loan - they are minding their daughter's all day Mon- Fri) and posted a letter to the I.O.M. That meant when I got back in I could take off my trainers and rest my poor aching feet (back, shoulders, ankles). Fell asleep twice fully clothed, twice more before I managed to take my glasses off and turn off the light by then it was 4 minutes past midnight and still ready to keep on sleeping.

For yeaterday I am grateful for leftover curry (it was comforting every time I thought about it), for a haircut (10 years since anyone but me has done it), for my new owl bag which makes me smile, for a proper sleep and not needing to be anywhere early so that I could relax without worrying about waking up or sleeping too long.

Have my plan for the month and a report for today but may break off as there is a parcel for DS1 waiting at the post office.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 6/15 Food 」112.71/」150 Travel 」6.50/」20 DIY 」6/」30 Hol 」50/」50 Xmas 」50/」50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 515/2017
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 2nd Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 19,587 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 2
    NSD 1/15
    Sadly my darling Mummy passed away this morning. Very emotional time for me and my family. My sister, my brother and his wife came down to spend time together and to start to sort things out. They have been very supportive and helpful. We are pulling together.
    Grateful for:
    My wonderful life with my Mummy.
    For my family being here.
    For @rgos agreeing to have something I ordered for my Mum to be picked up and agreeing to give me a refund.
    For the undertakers who were very kind. Someone who my Mum and I know works for them and have asked for him to deal with things.
    For friends being supportive.
    For the support on this thread.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget 」59.58/」150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 8,104 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 0/15

Debt destruction: Checked credit card balance before the bill is due, paid it down to 」100 - I am accruing M&S points for vouchers. Other credit card on 」0. Went to Her0n, Ald1 and The Son of Morris and was home again before 10.30.

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days.
    Day 2 of no Fakebook.

Clear up, clean up and take control.
    Put up the tree, chucked what was broken. Asked the kids to do stuff - they have not. The tree lists to the left. It has character but I fear it is the last year it will do any kind of service. Made meal plans, shopped, spent 」44 between all the shops and have 」25 in my purse. Will try not to spend any more than that unless it is for a present for a person on my list.

Explore your local area – Instead of driving 3 miles up the road to go to the Ald1 near the kids school that I usually go to, I went to the one across country which is closer. I found the old Filbert St Leicester City football ground, the county cricket ground, and found out that Raw Dykes Road (snigger) is the site of a Roman Aqueduct. So there you go.

Mental health. Really good considering that everyone in my house is a bah-hum!!!!!!. Entertained myself by putting the Xmas song station on the radio before going out to do the shopping, and knowing that anyone who was not up yet would find it on when they came down for breakfast.

Budget EVERYTHING before you start the month.
    Can't. Will do everything as frugally as possible but MOTs and services and car insurances and what the kids want for Xmas is all a huge unknown at the moment
    Will pin them down asap.

Evaluate
    Weight loss was good, but I let the gym slip and forgot to stop eating. so am back where I started. The good thing is I know how to get rid of it. I am just rubbish at keeping it off. So at least I am aware of my weaknesses, but also aware I have the tools to do the job. I just need to DO IT

Remember that l this is a difficult time for many. - My problems are nothing in the great scheme of things.
    MFW START DATE May 16 」118,340 :
    October 17 - 」109,495.00
    December 17 」108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub 」105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Dec 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 8,104 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Day 2
    NSD 1/15
    Sadly my darling Mummy passed away this morning.

Originally posted by Kerry Woman

Oh Kerry, I am so so sorry for your loss, but also glad that your mum made it home where she wanted to be and was surrounded by your love.

Take good care of you right now. Remember all the good times, and talk of her often. It will be hard so be patient with yourself.

We are all here for you.
    MFW START DATE May 16 」118,340 :
    October 17 - 」109,495.00
    December 17 」108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub 」105k
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,714 Thanks
    greent
    Kerry Woman - so sorry to hear of your loss. Take time and be kind to yourself xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 」124616 01/10 」104927 01/11 」89873 01/12 」76317 01/13 」52546 01/14 」35356 01/15 」12133 07/15 」NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 」69786. 2017 OPs (#18) 」5278/」3286
    Net sales 2017 」1445.57/」500 PAYDOX17 」12239/」10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 2nd Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Kerry Woman thinking of you, accept all offers of help and look after yourself.
    NST Dec #4 SFD 6/15 Food 」112.71/」150 Travel 」6.50/」20 DIY 」6/」30 Hol 」50/」50 Xmas 」50/」50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 515/2017
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 2nd Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Aw Kerry Woman so sorry to read about your Mum. Thinking of you xxx
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,714 Thanks
    greent
    Day 2/31
    NSDs 1

Lunches taken/ prepped at home 'full English' brunch at home today with all items already in

Debt destruction: Aiming for DFD (exc BTL mtge) of 10/18 (」75 OP to BTL mtge today)
    Exterminate Facebook gone from phone
    Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear space by removing 31 items - 6/31 so far - 2 outgrown Xmas jumpers sold on faceb00k today and 1 fleabay sale overnight Clean up your way of talking to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. -
    Explore your local area – get out and walk, - today we have explored 5 different supermarkets - does that count?!
    Mental health.. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: Write down 4 gratitudes each day.
    * YS bakery goodies
    * Having the time and ability to track down the item DS1 wanted
    * Facebook buyers being lovely
    * No plans except easy food and then Casualty with a glass of wine and a box of Malte5ers (living the dream! )

Budget EVERYTHING
    Food 24.64/450
    Social 」120
    Gifts 」125
    Fuel 50/65
    Make extra money 14.86/50 - flebay/ faceb00k sales and a wombled APG receipt
    Evaluate (Done) Now to 2018: (targets set)
    Remember to do

Yet another plumber didn't turn up yesterday afternoon to quote - he then emailed OH last night and rearranged for this morning - and still didn't show up I had someone else tell me they're booked up and I'm leaving it late for work happening in Jan.... well I wasn't when I started trying to get quotes over a month ago! (rolls eyes!)
    Last edited by greent; 02-12-2017 at 6:29 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 」124616 01/10 」104927 01/11 」89873 01/12 」76317 01/13 」52546 01/14 」35356 01/15 」12133 07/15 」NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 」69786. 2017 OPs (#18) 」5278/」3286
    Net sales 2017 」1445.57/」500 PAYDOX17 」12239/」10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 48,713 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Kerry Woman - I love your gratitude 'for my wonderful life with my mummy'. That's exactly what I'd want my dd to say about me. Sending you lots of hugs
    017 sell 351

Mortgage 」23,486 (01/14: 」78,201; 01/15: 」59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 2nd Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 2

D
    ebt Destruction

DFD Dec 18. Yesterday my debt went below 」5k! Woohoo, I will not be beaten.

Exterminate

As per last post, this will begin tomorrow.

Clear up, clean up and take control

Sold 1 thing so 1/31.

Explore

No chance today unfortunately.

Mental health

Will get better at this, will improve as my routine improves.

Budget

Food - 」150
    Car (fuel and MOT) - 」110
    Christmas - 」80 - 」68 = 」12
    Other - 」60
    Extra income - 」10 (」5 swagbucks and 」5 sale)

Evaluate

Not started off as well as I would have liked, I think I have lost my flow with NSDs and I'm not completely sure why. Tomorrow will be a NSD and aiming for more next week now that I have finished with Christmas. In better news my debt total is coming down, it wasn't long ago that I was at more than double my current figure, I need to remember this when I feel guilty about my finances.

Revise

Have started an assignment, not done much but made a start even though today is my day off.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 2nd Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    mothernerd
    The plan (maybe part 1 as I need to be out of the house again in under an hour).

I have no debt but 'thoughtless' spending is creeping up and I need to rein it in. Some of it is possibly due to 'doing without' for so long - one day something snaps and you realise how much time you are spending to compensate for not having x, y or z. (once had an under sink leak and had to keep the stopcock turned off, when I did washing I had to bail out with buckets as they filled with drips) but some is just not trying hard enough (being complacent because there are a few pounds in the bank).

Will look at everything again and put together a plan, probably need to look at food as energy costs/ usage is modest, Council Tax and Water rates are immovable and DS3 did a deal over the broadband.

My strengths are dogged determination and getting my bounce back. Weaknesses are chocolate/ food generally and a sort of 'fear of being without' left over from the bad years. Need to be strict with myself, add pennies instead of letting them slip through my fingers.

I will exterminate Pinterest browsing, looking at one thing, then it suggests another one you might like and suddenly two hours have disappeared. I was going to ask for an exemption for anything I might need to complete a gift but going cold turkey - I think I have printed off the things I need, it was just the thought of having a bit missing. I was going to throw in a few quotes this month but will just have to go with the ones I can remember so

"turn on the music and dance with your dog".

Clearing up - need to go for this one big time (might still have time to do 2017 things in 2017). In the past week (including this because I am away for a few days, so doing things in advance I have done 82/ 42/ 27 and 4 items at different times so now on 155/2017. I desperately need to get the house clean and tidy, particularly the kitchen and bedroom.

Will practice talking positively to myself. One of my new pairs of socks says 'born to sparkle'.

Take Control - much needed and I am now in the moood to do it. It took so much time to sort all the mum minding stuff and her partner going into the home and we were very appointment heavy for the first few months as well as the problems with getting my Carer's Allowance. I feel as though I have only just got htings on an even keel and can stop and draw breath. Having Thursday as a day off has definitely helped. Before I was getting cumulatively more tired as the week progressed and then slept through the weekend. Hoping to be more in control and get more done with less effort from now on.

Explore. I love the canal bank but it's a bit treacherous at this time of year. Will walk round the shops when they are closed and hope to do some walking (and exploring next week). Mum has already said I can park her in a convenient cafe and go off for a look round.

Mental health. Will keep adding to the happy list and practice as many as possible each day. CBT homework is breathing exercises so need to put the booklet in my case for next week.

Budget Food 」100, spent 」44. DIY 」30, spent 」10.50 on material and 」6 on hooks. Travel 」50 (will try for 」30). DS1 is moving into the new house his month and I will help however I can. Possibly his fiancee's uncle could come to collect me but if not I may need an expensive taxi. He has parcels here and I have promised to divide the tools, so I already have more things than I could take on the bus - it's 3 bus rides to where he lives now and the new house is vaguely towards Oldham.

Also need to set budgets for 'entertainment' and 'presents'. still unsure about Christmas - DS3 and Beloved are spending it here together for the first time ever (they used to have their Christmas together in November/ early December)

to be continued.....
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 2nd Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Kerry Woman I am so sorry for loss, I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Sending lots of love and hugs, post as little or as often as you need and know that there is support for you here x
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 2nd Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 2 #19 Checking....
    Debt Plan - NSD 0/15 a spendy day today!
    Exterminate - 10 days without f@cebook, hard as I felt bored with my 'free time'!
    Clear Up - Decluttered my make up bag & nail varnishes! Surprising what's in there.
    Explore - Not really achieved anything here except sat in a different part of a restaurant I regularly go to.
    Mental Health - nice to meet a friend for her birthday lunch without taking DS (sounds awful) but nice to have an adult conversation and a hot meal (although talked about him most of the time)!
    Budget - Bought a few bits for DS birthday party and lunch was 」3.50 less than budgeted for.
    Evaluate - comparing this year to this time last year definitely happier & more organised and appreciative of the festive session.
    Remember - Donated 2 tinned items to foodbank who were in local t」sco felt good. Will do this each time I go in which will be quite regular this month.
    Last edited by BadBookkeeper; 02-12-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 48,713 Thanks
    apple muncher
    A bit of reflection/evaluation of 2017.
    -we finished clearing and sold my dad's house
    -we found a great care home for mum and were able to buy a 'plan' for her for life with the money from selling dad's house
    -big sis was able to return to her own home after giving it all up to move in and care for mum, 200 miles away

-dhbecame a grandad , I became a step gma and dd became an auntie
    -we have successfully transitioned dd to a dairy free diet and can now look at doing the milk ladder
    -we have still beenable to pay extra off the mortgage despite earning the least amount ever
    -I have still crafted and still enjoy it

Plans/hopes/dreams for 2018
    -sell mum's house, which would make us mortgage free
    -get out to Oz for the summer for dh's son's wedding. Will also see his dd2 and dd1 + gson.
    -keep crafting
    -run a half marathon for charity - but only if I lose weight as my dodgy knee can't cope with my current weight and thr impact it has when I waddle along
    017 sell 351

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin