Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zither
    • By Zither 26th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 38Thanks
    Zither
    Hive thermostat
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    Hive thermostat 26th Nov 17 at 2:39 PM
    Afternoon all,

I moved into a house a couple of months ago and it came with one of those little wireless Hive thermostats with a separate receivers wired to my boiler (the previous owner didnít either use/leave a Hive hub to connect to my router).

Overall, itís awful. The thermostat keeps losing connection with the boiler receiver - it comes up with endless messages for ĎNo RFí and ĎRejoiningí when I want to adjust the temp - I need to take the batteries out of the thermostat to reset it otherwise the thermostat at is unresponsive.

Iím not a technophobe - I like the idea of Hive - e.g. so I can turn heating on using my phone away from home ( if I bought the hub ) to use via my mobile but on a basic level Hive is awful.

So what are my options? Does the thermostat (somehow?) need a firmware update? Do I need to get someone in to get rid of the Hive boiler receiver? And should I get another smart thermometer like Nest? I donít really want anything to do with British Gas because all their products seems ridic expensive. Is it straightforward to get/install a new wireless thermostat from screwfix/wherever?

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

Z
Page 2
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 29th Nov 17, 9:41 AM
    • 36,183 Posts
    • 152,913 Thanks
    silvercar
    I use Hive and love the feature to turn off heating when I leave and on so that house is toasty when I return after holiday.
    Originally posted by missile
    Just did the same. Watched (from the app) the temperature in the house drop down to 11 degrees. Set the heating to come on 4 hours before we arrived home and came home to a toasty 20 degrees. Saved loads by having the heating set at frost setting for the 2 weeks we were away!
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 29th Nov 17, 10:08 AM
    • 5,938 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Please be gentle.......but how does it know when you go out?, How does it know if their is still someone in the house?
    • Zither
    • By Zither 29th Nov 17, 6:31 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    Thanks all. Ok I think I’ll just take the plunge and buy a Hive hub and see how it goes. Out of interest tho...

1) Hive vs Nest? Which is best? Eg why Hive over Next?

2) what does the monthly subscription to Hive actually get you?

Thanks!

Z
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    2) what does the monthly subscription to Hive actually get you?

Thanks!

Z
    Originally posted by Zither
    This...

https://www.hivehome.com/products/hive-live

I'm not sure if it is available on its own though.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 29th Nov 17, 7:34 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    tired dad
    Only thing stopping me from getting one is knowing if the receiver will fit into the existing backplate of our Honeywell 9400C. If it does, it’s a DIY install for me. If not I’ll need advice
    • Ionkontrol
    • By Ionkontrol 29th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Ionkontrol
    How long before all this tech pays for itself, including permanent hub/router etc?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Only thing stopping me from getting one is knowing if the receiver will fit into the existing backplate of our Honeywell 9400C. If it does, itís a DIY install for me. If not Iíll need advice
    Originally posted by tired dad
    The Hive uses a backplate like this...

The 9400C uses a backplate like this...

Not a straight swap but but it might be worth checking to see if the contact pins match.

Edit:It looks like they do.

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 29-11-2017 at 8:32 PM.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 1st Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    tired dad
    well that means its an easy swap. Take of old backplate and install new one making sure wires are connected in the same pattern?

Reckon I could handle that.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 1st Dec 17, 10:34 PM
    • 36,183 Posts
    • 152,913 Thanks
    silvercar
    Please be gentle.......but how does it know when you go out?, How does it know if their is still someone in the house?
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    You put dates in holiday mode on the settings page. So it remembers the usual settings but for the time you've told it you are away it only comes on when the temperature drops below 7 degrees (frost setting).
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 1st Dec 17, 10:39 PM
    • 36,183 Posts
    • 152,913 Thanks
    silvercar
    How long before all this tech pays for itself, including permanent hub/router etc?
    Originally posted by Ionkontrol
    I reckon I saved about £80 last holiday, by putting it in holiday mode. Without it we would have left the heating on to make sure the place was warm for our return.

We are fairly good about turning the heating down if we are out, knowing we can remotely turn it back on before we get home. Previously we wouldn't have messed with the settings. Add to that the second boiler was never attached to a thermostat, so more savings there.

I reckon about a 2 year time span to break even.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 1st Dec 17, 11:16 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    As well as storing your holiday dates, if you use the smart phone app and give it permission to look at your location, it will send you a warning if you go out and leave the heating on, or if you are out but returning home and the heating is off. Distance and temperature are parameters that you control.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 2nd Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 30,738 Posts
    • 18,368 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I reckon I saved about £80 last holiday, by putting it in holiday mode. Without it we would have left the heating on to make sure the place was warm for our return.

We are fairly good about turning the heating down if we are out, knowing we can remotely turn it back on before we get home. Previously we wouldn't have messed with the settings. Add to that the second boiler was never attached to a thermostat, so more savings there.

I reckon about a 2 year time span to break even.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    A stand alone programmable stat can achieve the big savings as long as it has holiday mode and some of the smaller savings with a bit of fiddling with the controls.

No where near as convenient as the remote access options.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I’m not convinced that it actually saves us anything. I fitted one because of the flexibility that it provides. We work irregular hours so sometimes used to come home to a cold house or a house that had been heated for the last three hours with nobody in it. I just wish that they would add the facility to control the electric immersion heater. I have worked out away to do it but it’s a bit Heath Robinson.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 2nd Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 30,738 Posts
    • 18,368 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Iím not convinced that it actually saves us anything. I fitted one because of the flexibility that it provides. We work irregular hours so sometimes used to come home to a cold house or a house that had been heated for the last three hours with nobody in it. I just wish that they would add the facility to control the electric immersion heater. I have worked out away to do it but itís a bit Heath Robinson.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Just replace the IM switch with a suitable relay.

Something like
    https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/spdt-relay-230v-20a-p-664.html
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 2nd Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    Nick_C
    ... I just wish that they would add the facility to control the electric immersion heater...
    Why are you using an electric immersion heater? Surely it's cheaper to heat the hot tank from the gas boiler?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Why are you using an electric immersion heater? Surely it's cheaper to heat the hot tank from the gas boiler?
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Not when the heating isn't required.

Our boiler is in an outbuilding at the rear of the house with long pipe runs to the hot water tank in the bathroom. It works out cheaper to use the 100% efficient immersion heater on Economy 7, particularly in the summer when the boiler is turned off completely.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 9th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    tired dad
    hive ordered and fitted. Odd behaviour. Q asked in another post
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Not when the heating isn't required.

Our boiler is in an outbuilding at the rear of the house with long pipe runs to the hot water tank in the bathroom. It works out cheaper to use the 100% efficient immersion heater on Economy 7, particularly in the summer when the boiler is turned off completely.
    Gosh. I'm surprised at that. But then I wasnt expecting someone with GCH to be on an E7 tariff.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 10th Dec 17, 6:00 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    Afternoon all,

Just thought I'd feed back in case useful to anyone. I bought a Hive starter kit from AO (hub, 2 bulbs, 1 wireless plug) for £69 and installed the hub/set it up.

Being honest, setting it up was a bit frustrating... when I first plugged the hub in it couldn't/wouldn't find the thermostat. I phoned hive 2x but after 30-40 minutes of waiting to speak to someone on each call I hanged the phone up.

So I had a look myself and worked out that I had to power down the boiler, boiler receiver and put the thermostat into some sort of pairing/discovery mode (I think I pressed the +/- buttons together whilst putting the batteries into the thermostat) for the hub to be able to find the thermostat. But once I did that its been great - hasn't dropped signal once (so far...) and being able to use my phone as the thermostat control within/away from home is great. Great being able to put the heating on 30 mins before I get home. I think the £69 I paid will pay for itself within a year.

Not sure I'd go with Hive if I was getting it installed from fresh (I'd personally choose Nest) but seen as the receiver was already installed it seems like a competent service. I think the bulbs and plugs are extortionately expensive but now I've hooked it up to Alexa it's really convenient to be able to say 'Alexa turn the landing light off' when I'm in bed or turn it on whilst I'm away from home/for when I get in.

Hope that helps someone! Happy to answer any questions..
    Last edited by Zither; Today at 6:33 AM.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Glad you've got things sorted, but what a palaver eh? Worth the hassle though I'm sure.

Getting alexa to dim the lights, turning the heating up and play a relaxing tune when I'm sitting in the bath makes me believe in progress in this uncertain world!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter