Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • autumn2012
    • By autumn2012 26th Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 219Thanks
    autumn2012
    Quit my job to run my business FT
    • 26th Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    Quit my job to run my business FT 26th Nov 17 at 1:00 PM
    Hi everybody,

I have quit my stressful and underpaid full time job to run my cleaning business FT. I started the cleaning business up a couple of years ago and I have been doing it on my two days off every week. This is a risk as I am in debt and I have two young children to support. I have got an active social media page that I advertise locally and through ''sponsored'' adverts. I advertise via gumtree, I am on pages such as bark.com & care.com also. I get alot of business through word of mouth and I have excellent reviews for my services. Is there any other form of advertising I can explore? I am in the yellow pages but I dont think anybody looks in there nowadays and I have also looked into advertising in the paper but I dont think its cost effective as its extremely expensive and Im not sure on how much business it would bring in. Can anybody suggest any ideas?
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 26th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    I think for work like this, word of mouth is the main method. Get some business cards printed, which you can give to existing clients - who hopefully will pass them on to friends/neighbours.

I wouldn't bother with yellow pages - you're right, no-one uses it anymore.

The facebook page is free - and is probably all you need. I wouldn't bother with sponsored adverts, or anything that costs.

It might be worth your while to have small (A5) leaflets printed which you can deliver yourself locally - pick areas that are affluent enough to be needing your services, and the streets close to where you already have clients.

Good luck with your new venture. If you are reliable, efficient, business-like, and happy in your work, you will do well.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 26th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    Do you have any local community magazines? Cleaning services usually do pretty well advertising in them in my experience.

Yellow Pages are closing down after next year's directories so wouldn't recommend going there.
    • autumn2012
    • By autumn2012 26th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    autumn2012
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    Thanks for your advice :-)

I was thinking of contacting community centres? Maybe putting a notice up or similar. We do have a local magazine but Im not sure how to go about advertising in it. Ill maybe have a look into it. I have got A5 leaflets already and business cards which I distribute to specific areas and specific times eg: around uni campus housing for landlords around June time etc.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 37,848 Posts
    • 34,238 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    Community magazines and church magazines would be places where I'd be likely to see your ad. You've missed the 'let me help you clean before Christmas' selling point, but could see what's out there and advertise in January for a spring clean.

Here's an example of local advertising rates in one of mine. If you can manage a run of three ads, I would, because I generally have to 'see' adverts a few times before I would think of them, should I need those services, but it wouldn't have to be full page.

Also there are a few people who write a regular column in these magazines, effectively touting for business - 'Mrs PC' is one, and there's solicitors, de-clutterers, and assorted others as well. If you have small magazines like this locally and think you could write a regular column - best way to clean your oven, how to approach a complete spring clean, what to do in a cleaning emergency (you can interpret that in several ways: unexpected visitors - what to do if you haven't got time to do it all - or running out of basics - the answer probably involves vinegar and lemons - or spilt paint on the hall carpet kind of thing) - the editor might be very glad to hear from you. Because obviously the last line of all such articles would be along the lines of "and if we can help you, get in touch on ....."

Also I don't know how you'd break into them, but if you can get your leaflets into sheltered housing complexes? Or 'satchel post' if you have links to any local schools? Or - again it's very seasonal - pay for an advert in the summer / autumn / spring fair programme. Offer two hours' cleaning as a raffle prize. And so on ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 26th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    Definitely go for adverts off line - lots of people do't immediately turn to the internet - ads in your local post office / small shop (if you can do cards people can take, or tear-off strips for phone numbers, do that)

parish magazines - see if local schools sell advertising in their programmes for fetes or other events, or have any form of notice board for parents.

ETA - word of mouth is best. Let your current clients know you are going from part to full time (so they know taking on new clients won't reduce your availability for them) and askthe to pass on your details to any friends etc. You could ask them whether they would be willing to put up a notice or flyer at their places of work.
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 27th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    Social media definitely works for cleaners - that is how we found ours.

We put our 'ad' on FB and about 5 local cleaners contacted us - only one was fully insured and registered with HMRC! I'd say make sure you push those points somewhere in your ads - also reliability, makes a huge difference to know we can rely on our cleaner.

Local magazines also excellent way to generate business - I'm a gardener and advertise in 2 local mags, between them they bring in perhaps 75% of my business.
    • autumn2012
    • By autumn2012 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    autumn2012
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    Im going to look into the magazine side today as Iv never really looked into it before! Hopefully that will bring in some leads. I am fully insured & registered with HMRC - I dont put registered with HMRC on my ads because I dont think that its relevant? Of course Im happy to show me clients proof if required however advertising the fact? Im not sure it would look professional
    • martindow
    • By martindow 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,298 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    I am fully insured & registered with HMRC - I dont put registered with HMRC on my ads because I dont think that its relevant? Of course Im happy to show me clients proof if required however advertising the fact? Im not sure it would look professional
    Originally posted by autumn2012
    I agree re HMRC but it could be good to put that you are insured on flyers.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 28th Nov 17, 12:18 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    what is your market?
    1.0 Business
    2.0 Residential

Target market the business you want by leaflet &/or make an appointment to see them, you can do this both for private houses (larger houses tend to have more disposable income !?) and companies (offices etc)

Make sure you are well prepared with he different services you offer and different options plus prices for everything you do. (have you costed what your competition charge)?

I would do a power point for the meetings ensuring you keep on track and cover all points.

Are you legally covered, do you have risk assessments and comply with necessary regulations (H&S , COSHH, PPE etc)

The more professional you are in your preparation the more margin you can make.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 28th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 19,808 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I would leaflet commuters at your local station as they are likely to be cash rich/time poor.
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 28th Nov 17, 8:46 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Sarastro
    Word of mouth is your best bet. Don't bother paying for advertising - you only need a few more clients, not hundreds. Get some business cards printed and just politely ask existing clients if they know anyone who needs some help. If you're good, you won't have any trouble. If you really need to top it up, try a few local adverts.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 4th Dec 17, 1:39 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    You can add yourself to Google Maps free and it will then help if anyone locally Googles "cleaners" etc.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6174435?hl=en-GB

You probably won't get a huge amount of interest but even one or two a month helps.

A simple website will also help but the cost might not be worthwhile, you can build your own site fairly cheaply using Wix or similar.

https://www.wix.com/
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 7th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Mistral001
    People go for word of mouth mainly because they are letting someone into their home. They need to know whether they can trust that person.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin