Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 26th Nov 17, 2:35 AM
    • 358Posts
    • 613Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Landline phone
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:35 AM
    Landline phone 26th Nov 17 at 2:35 AM
    I'll be signing up for broadband when I return to the UK in Jan 2018.

Do I have to have a landline phone? I know I need a line, but what is the advantage of having a landline phone? I'll be having a mobile, so won't that suffice?
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 26th Nov 17, 2:45 AM
    • 11,059 Posts
    • 6,279 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:45 AM
    • 26th Nov 17, 2:45 AM
    You pay rental for the line that carries the service to your property, whether you plug a phone in is up to you. (Some Virgin media connections excepted).
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 26th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    If you use the landline for calls but without having an inclusive calls package, calls cost around £7 to £8 per hour. An inclusive calls package with Unlimited Anytime calls costs around £9 per month.

Inclusive call plans cover calls to UK geographic numbers starting 01 and 02, non-geographic numbers starting 03 and usually also include UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079. BT is the only major landline operator to NOT include calls to mobile numbers.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 26th Nov 17, 12:16 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    • 26th Nov 17, 12:16 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 12:16 PM
    If your broadband stops working its helpful to be able to pick up the phone and see if you have a dial tone. You can also listen for noises indicating a faulty line.

That said the amount of junk calls these days I could well understand leaving it unplugged most of the time.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 27th Nov 17, 6:08 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:08 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:08 AM
    I have a landline phone because I get no mobile phone signal when I am at home inside and for about 5-10 minutes walk after I leave my front door -and I have a mobile phone mast on my roof!

The way I see it; I'm paying for the landline weather or not I use it, if I plug in a phone at least people have a way to contact me if they need to and I don't need to keep my mobile phone plugged in charging all day/night (if I were able to get a reception) and I can also separate people into two categories; one set get my mobile the other get my landline which can be useful at times.
    • J B
    • By J B 27th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    J B
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    . BT is the only major landline operator to NOT include calls to mobile numbers.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    Really?

Plusnet doesn't .... does it?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    Really?

Originally posted by J B
    Yep, included with all of their call plans:

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/#included-calls

EE have 3 tiers of call plans:

Anytime calls to landlines
    - Inclusive calls to UK landlines

Anytime calls to landlines and mobiles
    - 1,500 minutes to call UK mobiles

&

Anytime UK and International calls
    - 1,500 minutes to UK mobiles
    - Calls to landlines in 50 countries
    - 30% discount to the rest of the world landlines
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 27th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 27th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    Yes EE recently changed it. And increased the price for those who want to call mobiles.
    • J B
    • By J B 27th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    J B
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    Really?

Originally posted by J B
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    All?

It actually says " .... and for UK mobiles (on the Unlimited UK & Mobile and Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile call plans only"

I have 'Talk Anytime" (for £7pcm) which says "All Anytime calls to UK landlines" ... no mention of mobiles and when I go to 'change product' it doesn't offer a mobile call plan at all!
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 27th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    pramsay13
    There are a few options if you don't want a phone line, such as these:
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/gallery
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 27th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 8,124 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    With Sky, calls to customer service are free from their own landlines; they may be charged from other lines or mobiles (03 numbers).

Calls to 999 will also work during a power failure and the emergency operator will have your exact location immediately available. That could save your life one day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    All?

It actually says " .... and for UK mobiles (on the Unlimited UK & Mobile and Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile call plans only"

I have 'Talk Anytime" (for £7pcm) which says "All Anytime calls to UK landlines" ... no mention of mobiles and when I go to 'change product' it doesn't offer a mobile call plan at all!
    Originally posted by J B
    All UK call plans https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/call-plans/

There is only 4 listed in total, of the two that don't include mobile minutes one is 'Pay as you call' and the other is 'Anytime International Calling' (although you can add mobile minutes to that one).

Give them a call and see if they can swap you over (presuming you want it).
    • J B
    • By J B 29th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    J B
    All UK call plans https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/call-plans/

There is only 4 listed in total, of the two that don't include mobile minutes one is 'Pay as you call' and the other is 'Anytime International Calling' (although you can add mobile minutes to that one)..
    Really confused now ....
    Why aren't any of those offered when I go to 'change product'?

Give them a call and see if they can swap you over (presuming you want it).
    But ... that will take aaaaaggggeeesss!
    • Brian88
    • By Brian88 29th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brian88
    Dear Fatbeetle. I don't have a landline phone. I bought a signal booster. Cost is much cheaper than a landline phone. And I can't complain the quality of communication. I do not live alone. We did a joint purchase. Bought here .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,012Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter