Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 25th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 11,174Posts
    • 153,998Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    What was day to day food in your childhood?
    • 25th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    What was day to day food in your childhood? 25th Nov 17 at 8:28 PM
    Hi, I'm aware of price rises across the board whenever I shop and also those welcome YS bargains are very thin on the ground these days too. I'm trying to remember the meals we had as 'everyday' meals way back when to see if I can give us tasty meals from simpler ingredients and also cut back on some of the outlay on the weekly shop. I'm sure main meals weren't as exotic as is the norm now. I've made a start on the list for me but I'm aware there will be regional differences and wonder what was nicest to eat for supper from childhood memories in other areas in the hope of new ideas that use simple ingredients that won't break the budget every week.

We had stews with dumplings, sausage and mash, hot pot, pie, mash and peas etc. care to share childhood favourites?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
Page 6
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 28th Nov 17, 3:01 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    dreaming
    Mt childhood food memories are in 2 parts. Until I was 7 (1962) it was good, plain, home cooking. Beef on Sundays, cold meat on Mondays then a mix of stews, bacon and onion suet roll, liver and onions with fish and chips on Friday - all eaten around midday. Saturdays tended to be a fry-up "tea", and sandwiches ranged from jam, through bananas to cheese, with ham on Sundays. After my mum died, dinners became a mix of my auntie's meat and potato pies (with pastry hard enough to build a rockery with), or fish fingers/burgers/tinned mince with instant mash - which had just come out I think and was never really "mixed" so had dry powdery bits - and a selection from tinned peas, carrots or beans. We still had beef on Sundays with yorkshire pudding but that was the extent of my dad's cooking ability. We had no fridge until I was older so a lot was bought "on the day". In the summer milk was boiled up at night to stop it going off (it didn't!), and even now I can't stand the taste of yoghurt as it reminds me of those days. I still love banana sandwiches though.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 28th Nov 17, 3:13 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 7,175 Thanks
    culpepper
    We sometimes had roast on Sundays too. I remember it being mostly chicken. Sunday tea was always salad and something.The salad in the middle in a bowl ,it was always lettuce, tomato and pickled cucumber and the something doled out plate to plate. Often it was tinned ham or fish. There was that pappy bread and marg to go with it. We usually had some sort of wrapped biscuit like penguin and maybe chocolate teacakes or sponge roll (co op made). In the week there was corned beef hash, bubble and squeak , curry , sausage and mash but we also had school dinners ,so ploughed through mountains of food. Breakfast was either boiled egg or cereal . At about 7 pm we would have supper which was usually toast with bananas or jam or something. There was always tea to drink or water from the tap. If dad cooked it was sausage egg and chips all done in the frying pan.
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 28th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,652 Posts
    • 8,743 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    This is jogging so many memories.

No, I didn't have to ask to be excused after eating. And we were allowed to talk during meals - I remember staying overnight at a friend's house and eating the evening meal I was shocked that they (and I!!) weren't allowed to talk at all. And I remember being shocked by the behaviour of my friend and her brother - opening their mouths to show their food, kicking each other under the table. Maybe if their parents had chatted to them, they wouldn't have needed to behave like that!!
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    One of the principle reasons that sitting around the table is advocated is to talk about your day and discuss things.
    Last edited by patchwork cat; 28-11-2017 at 7:21 PM.

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 28th Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 39,443 Thanks
    Caterina
    I remember with horror the time at the table (both lunch and dinner, as my father worked split hours at the office ). The food was good if you liked meat and fish. I didn't, was probably naturally vegetarian from an early age. But because of lots of veg always been served I was ok in that sense. The awful thing was, the meals table was a sort of tribunal and judgement area. A place where they would comment about my greed and body shape. Also a place of humiliation.

It has totally scuppered my body image. Which is so ridiculous because when, later in life, I looked at my pictures in my early teens, I was really slim and had a normal body size.

When i was much younger whenever I could I ate at my granny 's where I felt loved and cherished. When we moved I was 13 and for a couple of years I tried my best to eat in the kitchen with our lovely old maid (not always possible unfortunately). I left home at 15 and not a second too soon.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 28th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 26,667 Thanks
    Primrose
    I am just watching an episode of the historical series, The Wartime Farm (BBC 2 Nov 28th 4 pm) about wartime food production etc. If you want to see how a German Loaf made from silage was made (this is what the Germans ended up having to eat) you can see one being made on iPlayer (Fermented grass cuttings, wood flour (ie sawdust !!) and a tiny drop of honey.
    At least we were never reduced to having to eat that!
    Last edited by Primrose; 28-11-2017 at 6:15 PM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 15,595 Posts
    • 127,317 Thanks
    JackieO
    I understand that in WW1 bits of sawdust was sometimes added to 'mixed fruit jam ' to look like pips
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 28th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 26,667 Thanks
    Primrose
    A delightful reference wooden raspberry pips here

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HNS19060327.2.44.1

Apparently the suffragettes campaigned about this activity in the run up to WWI, where some rich industrialists used women for sweated labour in their factories to make these pips so that they could make cheaper jam and therefore more profits from their jam manufacturing activities.
    • M.E.
    • By M.E. 28th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    M.E.
    My Grampy (an upright fellow of the village if ever there was one!) made my Dad carve little slivers of wood into apple turnip jam coloured pink by beetroot to sell it as raspberry jam!
    Raspberry jam has pips!
    He also re-cycled (up-cycled) wreaths from one village graveyard to another village's funeral (making a profit!) by getting to know the organist and which village in the area had the next funeral. He cycled at the dead of night, nicked the wreath and rearranged the wreath adding wild flowers... hey presto new wreath!
    Last edited by M.E.; 28-11-2017 at 6:30 PM.

• Mnd
    • By Mnd 28th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Mnd
    I was born 1954 and reading all these posts brought back so many memories, a couple I would like to mention
    Chips often, cooked in lard I assume, it was solid when not being used, then sausages cooked in the same pan
    Dripping on toast with about a lb of salt!
    Healthy diet ! However I still weigh 10st 2 lb and eat what I like(much healthier though)
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 28th Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Getting down from the table.
    Oh yes! And we all ate together round a table, and TALKED together. No eating in front of the telly.

I must admit I did manage to get everyone eating round the table for the evening meal when the boys were small. Getting them to ask to get down from the table was much harder!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    MandM90
    We all have to ask if we want to leave the table - even DH and I. It just seems rude to leave someone to eat on their own! We don't eat in front of the telly because there is no telly to eat in front of
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 28th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 56,592 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Been thinking about this on and off today and, apart from the rigid enforcement of formalities, my memories of the actual food are that it was quite good.

Sunday was always a roast, weekdays were rissoles, cottage pie, liver and onions, egg and chips and so on. Oh and fishcakes, homemade, they were not so nice... Salads in summer, and everything followed the seasons.

Fresh vegetables always, my grandfather grew a lot, and while there was never any impression of lack at the table, there were never any leftovers either, so I think they had portion control just right.

Chips were cooked in a chip pan, with lard, and it was left in the pan to solidify until the next use. Lard was also used for bacon, sausages and eggs, and again always left in the frying pan to use again next time. Frypans were kept in the oven. Fat from joints was kept in a special pot on the slate slab in the pantry.

Puddings were pies, custards, sago, semolina, rice, etc. Pastry was made with lard and margarine, half and half. There were also sponge cakes and scones and fruit loaf, never together, but on a sort of rolling schedule.

We got sixpence for sweets once a week when the sweet van came round, I used to choose Spangles as they lasted longer.

But the best meals were always at my Grandmother's house, where we felt truly indulged. My brother and I would be sent over on the bus almost every Saturday after we'd done our jobs. A hearty beef stew for lunch, with thick crusty bread as well as potatoes, an enormous rice pudding with second helpings, then later for tea there would be huge slices of ham, salads or pickles, thin sliced bread and butter, tinned fruit and evaporated milk, then best of all the chocolate teacakes (I once ate almost a whole pack of these by myself, so she must have bought plenty!) But the loveliest thing of all was the genuine affection and warmth at my grandparent's house, a roaring fire, and the novelty of TV - we didn't have a TV at home till I was 15.
    Last edited by Serendipitious; 29-11-2017 at 5:49 AM.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Nov 17, 10:02 AM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 26,667 Thanks
    Primrose
    Gosh I remember that chip pan with the solidly set lard in it. It probably wasn,t too hygenic just left on a shelf for ages but those were the days before we had a fridge.
    When fat was on ration my mum used to share the chip pan with our next door neighbour as nobody got enough fat rations for a whole chip pan to themselves but that soon stopped after my mum realised she was scooping off and keeping most of the lard for her own use !
    Last edited by Primrose; 29-11-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 10:18 AM
    • 18,538 Posts
    • 47,728 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Chips cooked in lard - food heaven.
    • gwynlas
    • By gwynlas 29th Nov 17, 11:24 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    gwynlas
    What was day to day food in your childhood?
    Parents married during war so everything rationned virtually until I was born in 57. Sunday roast was cooked on Saturday as easier to cut cold, half shoulder of lamb, rolled brisket or pork, two veg and boiled potatoes.
    Same again Monday then remainder of week egg and chips, sausage and potch(potato and swede mashed together) lamb cho, liver, stuffed hearts etc, corned beef pie ,one veg fresh carrots, cabbage or tinned peas Fresh fish pan fried on Friday, later frozen breaded fish fillets, mash parsley sauce or chips. Occasionnally home made fishcakes made with pilchards in tomato sauce, Friday might have fresh cockles from the van,Saturdays were usually stew in winter or boiled bacon in summer, Breakfast usually toast, occasionally boiled egg or bacon and egg Sundays, I liked fried egg with fried bread, cooked in lard.Sunday tea was salad in summer, winter sandwiches made with tinned luncheon meat, fish paste, shoulder ham or cheese, tinned fruit with evaporated milk or cream home made tart or sponge cake, sandwiches and cake or biscuits remainder of week. Father worked rotational shifts as a miner so would have cooked breakfast each day after night shift, egg, beans or grilled kidneys on toast., other meals as rest of family. Summer veg and soft fruit plentiful as grown by father and uncle suppers might be boiled runner beans or boiled onions with bread and butter, otherwise toast with mixed fruit jam or in the 1970's pate!
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 29th Nov 17, 2:29 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,743 Thanks
    Bathory
    70's kid here.

Beef on Sunday, bubble & squeak with the leftover beef on Monday served with gravy so thick you could slice it. Fat from the beef was spread on bread and put out for the birds who dived on it as soon as it was out - especially in the Winter months. Weekdays would be either liver & onions, crispy pancakes, fish in packet sauce, sausages or fish fingers always served with potatoes in some form or other. On a few occasions smoked Kippers appeared as a treat and I thought they were the most demonic nasty things ever. I use to sneak my portion out of the house and bury it in the midden when nobody was looking.

Saturday was baking day for cakes as mum never bought shop made ones. We did sometimes have blancmange, tinned fruit & cream or artic roll (tesco now make a version of this). Occasionally we would have supper which consisted of water biscuits, cheese, celery sticks and crisps with the little blue salt bag.

I recently ate something that I'd never had for 30 odd years - tinned Sild on hot buttered toast. For some reason I was dreading opening the tin as it had sat in the cupboard for a while but it was actually rather nice. OH's dad raves on about how good tripe and cow heel pie was which he use to get from the local market but I don't think I will be trying them.
    A wise old owl lived in an oak. The more he saw the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Why can't we be like that wise old bird?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 29th Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 10,018 Posts
    • 107,658 Thanks
    LameWolf
    We all have to ask if we want to leave the table - even DH and I. It just seems rude to leave someone to eat on their own! We don't eat in front of the telly because there is no telly to eat in front of
    Originally posted by MandM90
    There's only Mr LW and myself here, and due to health issues I often have to "leave the table" so to speak in fairly short order during our meal; but I always say to him "would you excuse me for a few minutes please?" because it just seems the polite thing to do.

I should clarify something - I said I was not allowed to talk at the meal table as a child. The adults, ie my parents and my paternal grandmother, who lived with us, would speak to each other, but being a child (the only one, btw) I was expected to remain silent.

The other thing, I don't know if this was normal or not, but there was nothing to drink with the meal. In our house you ate your meal, and the adults had a cup of tea and I got a glass of water, milk or weak orange squash afterwards. My parents seemed to believe it was bad for you to have a drink with the meal.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 29-11-2017 at 2:47 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 29th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 33,624 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm a 1964 child and we always had to ask to leave the table: "please may I be down?" being the favoured gabbled question!

We generally ate as a family - when we had school dinners the kids tea would.be around the coffee table in front of Blue Peter with Club or Penguin biscuits after. Later when my brothers were both at senior school we all ate together with mum & dad, as we did at weekends.

Food was routinely:
    Cooked breakfast every school day / porridge in winter, with cereal at weekends
    Saturday lunch was also cooked breakfast (mum worked on Saturdays so dad cooked his signature dish!)
    Saturday tea generally ham or sausage sandwiches or occasionally burgers (once we had a freezer in 1974), sometimes doughnuts from the machine where mum worked
    Sunday lunch was always a roast with a pudding - generally beef or lamb, sometimes pork, not often chicken as too expensive. Both beef & lamb always came with Yorkies
    Sunday tea was bread, butter with jam or cheese & celery or h/g tomatoes followed by apple pie, cake or scones
    Monday cold meat & potatoes & veg / salad or leftovers made into pie, curry, rissoles
    Other teas would be minced beef, mash & veg; cottage pie; corned beef hotpot; liver & onions (yuck); lamb casserole; fish pie with mash top; sausage & chips.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 29th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 56,592 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Oh yes, Yorkshire pudding - always made in a large meat tin so you had slices of it.

Another memory popped up - potatoes were always left to soak in cold water for hours before use - 'to get the starch out' was what they said.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 29th Nov 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 7,913 Thanks
    kboss2010
    HM chicken & sweetcorn pie, Supernoodles, milk roll & Billy bear ham w/crisps sandwiches, poached egg & beans on toast, toad-in-the-hole, apple pie & tinned custard, strudel & Bird's custard, stir fries, lemon chicken w/roast potatoes, celeriac & gravy, sweet & sour chicken, chips & Chinese chippy gravy w/bubblegum panda pop!

I was a late 80's kid so I grew up on a diet of my Gran's traditional British home cooking, my Dad's attempts at Jamie Oliver & my Mum's convenience food/lots of meals out.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter