Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nadders
    • By Nadders 25th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nadders
    0 WOW
    Sent to wrong airport by travel company
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    0 WOW
    Sent to wrong airport by travel company 25th Nov 17 at 4:04 PM
    I've recently returned from a trip to Thailand. My flight details were

Manchester to Phuket,
    Bangkok to Manchester.

I booked with Love2Shop Holidays as I has some gift vouchers from work, they sent me an intinery by email and anothet set by post with an ATOL certficate. The documents that were posted to me were the ones I took with me on holiday.

There are 2 airports in Bangkok, Bangkok Don Muang and Bangkok International (unbeknownst to me at the time). All the documents I took with me including the ATOL certificate all said Bangkok Don Muang airport when in fact that was the wrong airport and it should have stated Bangkok International airport.

After discovering I was at the wrong airport I had to make a frantic and stressful trip to the correct one, only just managing to catch my scheduled flight. I've been in touch with the Love2travel holidays to complain about this but I've heard nothing back, which makes me furious as I was very nearly stranded in Bangkok through no fault of my own by so called travel experts.

Does anyone have any advice on my next steps?
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 25th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Westin
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    Forget the ATOL certificate, that has no bearing on the situation. What airports are shown on the itinerary from the agent?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 25th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 3,818 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    which makes me furious as I was very nearly stranded in Bangkok
    But you weren't. You got the flight as planned.

How much compo are you looking for?
    • blindman
    • By blindman 25th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    blindman
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    Does anyone have any advice on my next steps?
    Originally posted by Nadders

1. Book Direct
    2. Take some responsibility for travel.
    3. Stop trying to get something for nothing.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 25th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    You got your flight and presumably didn't incur any costs since there's a free shuttle bus between the two airports. At best you'll get an apology for the error. You should always confirm flight details with the airline, not least because things can change. Agents always tell you to do this, sometimes in the T&Cs but often on the booking confirmation.
    • Nadders
    • By Nadders 25th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nadders
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    It said Bangkok Don Muang. It should said Bangkok international.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 25th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 18,348 Posts
    • 7,589 Thanks
    richardw
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    Were the codes BKK or DMK on the booking confirmation ?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Nadders
    • By Nadders 25th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nadders
    • 25th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    1. Book Direct
    2. Take some responsibility for travel.
    3. Stop trying to get something for nothing.
    Originally posted by blindman
    1. I normally would, but I had some holiday vouchers I needed to use.
    2. I don't think expecting to see the right airport on my travel documents is an unreasonable ask.
    3. I don't think an apology for the error is too much to ask and it may help someone else in future if the travel company tightens up some of their processes.
    • Nadders
    • By Nadders 25th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nadders
    • 25th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    But you weren't. You got the flight as planned.

How much compo are you looking for?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Only because I got to the wrong airport early enough to be able to make my way to Bangkok international in time. I didn't mention any compensation. I'd like my complaint to be acknowledged so someone admits to an error which could perhaps help others in future.
    • Nadders
    • By Nadders 25th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nadders
    Were the codes BKK or DMK on the booking confirmation ?
    Originally posted by richardw
    There were no airport codes on the documents just the airport names.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 25th Nov 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    k3lvc
    So what were the exact flight details ?
    When were they booked ?
    When do you print off the confirmation/itinerary ?

I'm out of touch with recent developments in those airports but there was a time a couple of years ago when there was movement of flights between airports
    • richardw
    • By richardw 25th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 18,348 Posts
    • 7,589 Thanks
    richardw
    ....I'm out of touch with recent developments in those airports but there was a time a couple of years ago when there was movement of flights between airports
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    There might have been a time when BKK was used for both airports as the new airport was phased in, but Don Muang has been DMK for quite a while.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 25th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Do Love2Shop claim to be travel experts? All they do is book something that you could do yourself, a tour op package or accommodation. Who was the holiday actually booked with?

Surely you'd checked in online and would therefore know which airport you were flying from? As a minimum I would hope you'd at least have logged into your booking before leaving, at least once, to check it was correct and to make sure there were no changes eg time changes.

Apart from that, you should have queried the difference in detail the minute you got the conflicting documents.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 26th Nov 17, 12:52 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    eDicky
    It said Bangkok Don Muang. It should said Bangkok international.
    Originally posted by Nadders
    That's an atrocious mistake, inexcusable if true, and I don't quite see why some appear to be blaming you. I would spot it immediately but a first-timer who had arrived into Phuket might not even know that Bangkok has two airports.

Did you also have a flight from Phuket to Don Muang on your itinerary?

Which airline was the flight out of Bangkok?

Don Muang has international flights, but regional / low cost. I don't think there have been any airline shifts for several years between the two airports. They are far apart and it's not so easy to use the shuttle if you can't show that your arriving and departing flights require the transfer. There can be a long queue and wait for a taxi sometimes, if you don't know the trick. Checking in online is not so common or useful in Thailand, I never bother here and I'm sometimes in and out like a bridegroom's pecker.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 26th Nov 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Westin
    Certainly write to Love2Shop Holidays if this is bothering you. You certainly should get an apology if the information they gave you on the travel documentation was incorrect.

It seems like you are not out of pocket as took the free shuttle between the two airports and you caught your original flight - but I can imagine, this was all unnecessary stress. If you had been out of pocket I feel they should reimburse you for those costs.

For the future it would be wise to also do some research of your own and check on the relevant airline website for terminal (and airport!) information and to reconfirm flight departure information. With the advent of online check-in, a day or more in advance, many errors are picked up early.

So, next steps that you asked about -

- write to complain. An apology should certainly be given. Perhaps even a small £25 L2S voucher will be sent.

- wait a couple of days to see if this still bothers you. I suspect the annoyance may wain and you will move on as you return to UK life. You are however left with a great travel adventure story to share with friends on how you near (but didn't) miss your flight home!
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 26th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Ok. On behalf of Love 2 Shop. SORRY.
    Is that better?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 27th Nov 17, 6:48 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    eDicky
    It seems like you are not out of pocket as took the free shuttle between the two airports
    Originally posted by Westin
    The OP never mentioned this and it's more likely a taxi was used to save time. Looks like he's gone now anyway...
    • Westin
    • By Westin 27th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Westin
    I feel sure that if he/she had paid for a taxi we would have been told that in the initial post as it adds to the story of recompense.

More likely this

You got your flight and presumably didn't incur any costs since there's a free shuttle bus between the two airports.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    The OP stated that they were not seeking compensation so I don't think there can have been out of pocket costs.

If the OP returns they can presumably confirm.
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 27th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    the gardener
    Just for reference, the larger international aiport is called Suvarnabhumi. DMK was of course the old international airport. Actually there are international flights from there as well.

It is pronouned "soo one a poom" (or something similar) . My apologies to thai speakers for missing out the tone marks.

A taxi between the two is around 500b plus extras for the tollways

How I miss the joys of the big mango when your in a hurry. LOL
    • christaitfife
    • By christaitfife 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    christaitfife
    If you had booked a flight you would have received a ticket (I am guessing electronic).Were you the only one that had this issue? I am confused how you can have a ticket with the wrong airport on it and still be allowed to travel.

With the way ticketing works I really don't understand how a ticket can be issued with the wrong airport on it. Who was it that issued the ticket?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter