Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 25th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,473Posts
    • 9,760Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I am 'looking' forward to.....
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    I am 'looking' forward to..... 25th Nov 17 at 2:32 PM
    Two weeks from now I should be home after getting new lenses in my eyes and gathering all of my old pairs of glasses together ready to hand in for charity

I am looking forward to getting up in the morning and being able to see straight away without having to fumble about for my specs, also I will be able to see clearly without any fingerprints on the lens or dandruff from my eyebrows looking about an inch in diameter as it sits on the lens.
    I won't have any 'blind' spots as there will be no frame to look round, I will no longer need to put on a different pair if I want to read something or work on the puter.

I have been wearing specs full time since I was about 20 and I am struggling to think of things that will be different without them
    I know that my specs hide half my face so I will be uglier than most folk think and they also keep the cold wind out of my eyes so I will have that to contend with.

Any thoughts welcome.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 3264.1
    This week 74.6
Page 2
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 27th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Interesting again! Just in case of what?
    Either the new lenses will work or I will be blind, either way I won't need my old prescription glasses as the old natural lenses will have been destroyed and removed
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

I keep everything just in case.

You never know what the just in case might be, until you chuck them out, and then you'll find out!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 27th Nov 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Congratulations on having this job done. Personally the thought of having anything done to my eyes gives me the heeby jeebies
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    You wont want me to describe the procedure then

This week 74.6
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 27th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I keep everything just in case.

You never know what the just in case might be, until you chuck them out, and then you'll find out!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Right, I get you now

Those days are behind me and I am slowly clearing out all of the things that I have kept over the years 'just in case'

This week 74.6
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 29th Nov 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Just chatted with the surgeon and got the green light to head to the clinic next Thursday
    Still a couple of tests to do before the first op but things are looking good for a go

This week 74.6
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 29th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 8,354 Posts
    • 28,069 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I had my eyes lasered a few year ago, it was the best thing I've ever done.

I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of your glasses though, you might want to dress up as a Britney Spears style sexy schoolgirl one day and they'll come in really handy.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I had my eyes lasered a few year ago, it was the best thing I've ever done.

I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of your glasses though, you might want to dress up as a Britney Spears style sexy schoolgirl one day and they'll come in really handy.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    That would certainly be a 'different' look for me, I doubt if I have the legs for it though and my man boobs are getting smaller all the time

This week 74.6
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 50,888 Posts
    • 139,008 Thanks
    colinw
    Just chatted with the surgeon and got the green light to head to the clinic next Thursday
    Still a couple of tests to do before the first op but things are looking good for a go
    Good luck with it, I hope it goes well
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It's always been a grouch of mine that they can get men to the moon and back, but they can't 'cure' eyesight stuff like presbyopia.

Still, at least I can see, albeit with glasses.
    Without glasses I wouldn't be able to drive.
    I wouldn't be able to see who that person was waving, or even if they were waving at me.
    I wouldn't be able to see what number bus was coming, so I couldn't hail it.
    I wouldn't be able to read anything unless it was right in front of me.

So at least I can see, with glasses.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 4th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Starting to get a little nervous now.
    Not about the operations but the bus journey to Glasgow and getting to the hotel after the first op have been playing on my mind all day

This week 74.6
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 38,787 Thanks
    elsien
    Starting to get a little nervous now.
    Not about the operations but the bus journey to Glasgow and getting to the hotel after the first op have been playing on my mind all day
    Can't you book a taxi to the hotel after the first op? For peace of mind if nothing else.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Can't you book a taxi to the hotel after the first op? For peace of mind if nothing else.
    Originally posted by elsien
    The hotel is less than 5 minutes on foot away but because of the one-way system it would take about half an hour by car

I know, I am just being a bit nervous about the short journey but that coupled with checking in and the possibility of snow falling, all with one eye has got to me a little

This week 74.6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The hotel is less than 5 minutes on foot away but because of the one-way system it would take about half an hour by car

I know, I am just being a bit nervous about the short journey but that coupled with checking in and the possibility of snow falling, all with one eye has got to me a little
    Wiz, leave plenty of time, for all the journeys, make sure your footwear is slip-proof, and maybe even take a walking stick as well.

If the weather does turn bad, get that taxi anyway.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Wiz, leave plenty of time, for all the journeys, make sure your footwear is slip-proof, and maybe even take a walking stick as well.

If the weather does turn bad, get that taxi anyway.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I am going to check the route on Thursday morning on my way to the clinic from the bus station so that I am sure of the way, I may even see if they will let me check-in at 8am as well so that I can just go straight up to the room when I get there at lunch time.
    It looks easy enough on the map but yes I will be taking my time

This week 74.6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I am going to check the route on Thursday morning on my way to the clinic from the bus station so that I am sure of the way, I may even see if they will let me check-in at 8am as well so that I can just go straight up to the room when I get there at lunch time.
    It looks easy enough on the map but yes I will be taking my time
    You can also check the route on Google Earth. I do that a lot when I'm going somewhere new, even if walking.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Dec 17, 6:14 AM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Good luck for today, Wiz!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• uberalles
    • By uberalles 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 8,339 Thanks
    uberalles
    An extended xmas eve drink with my best man/mate and other mates in London.

My work's xmas meal, a lovely curry, with my missus.

I'm looking forwards to the day I can spend my first xmas in the beautiful Derbyshire countryside I live in. I've been here almost 14 years and yet to spend one at home.
    Lost fears of love come flooding back, every time you cry gives me a little heart attack
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I was a bit worried about getting home from Haslar Royal Naval Hospital after having the 'snip'.....on my pushbike.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 9th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Both ops went as planned and there was no trouble getting to and from the hotel. It will take a week or so for the lenses to settle in and my sight to get up to where it should be, I go for a check-up on the 19th.

I took the advice and had the sedation and other than getting the thing to hold my eye open, I scarcely remember anything, I was told it would take about 20 minutes but it seemed a lot less than that

The worst bit of the whole process was when my eyeball was marked with a pen for where the incision was to go, that was really weird (both times).
    I now have to sleep with an eye-shield over both eyes for a week and having done that for 2 nights already and not slept very well at all, I will be knackered by next Friday.

Would I recommend it? YES, I wish I'd done it 6 years ago when I first looked into the idea.

This week 74.6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Really glad it all went well and that the journey wasn't onerous!

Funnily enough, I had my eyes tested the other day, and to my surprise, my sight has improved!
    First time ever! And I've had glasses since the age of about 9!

Not enough to make any appreciable difference as such, but I was still surprised!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 13,015 Posts
    • 49,459 Thanks
    joansgirl

I took the advice and had the sedation and other than getting the thing to hold my eye open, I scarcely remember anything, I was told it would take about 20 minutes but it seemed a lot less than that

The worst bit of the whole process was when my eyeball was marked with a pen for where the incision was to go, that was really weird (both times).
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin