Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 25th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,352Posts
    • 1,099Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Is this a good deal?
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    Is this a good deal? 25th Nov 17 at 2:25 PM
    Hi

I have been provisionally offered an Avanti loan - applied for £3500 - admin fee upfront is £189 then the cost is 0.70% interest - without the admin fee I believe that works out at 8.7% APR. I have a 0% credit card coming to an end in January and have £3500 balance on it. I find I am being offered better loans than credit cards and prefer them as I tend to stick to the repayments so effectively I would be transferring the credit card debt to the loan. Another loan comes to an end in January so I could afford the repayments of £304 per month (12 months repayment with option to repay early).

I am not sure whether I should just stick with the credit card and pay it off instead?

I have paid off £4000 on my debts in the past 1.5 years so I am now on a budget so borrowing to save me interest is a worthwhile thing. I am also hoping to get a bigger mortgage in a year or two so need to continue debt busting.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 25th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    PS I forgot to mention it is a Co-op card and the interest would be 26% after the 0% period.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By pappa golf 25th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    DO NOT pay an admin fee up front , any fees should be added to the loan repayment
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 25th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    DO NOT pay an admin fee up front , any fees should be added to the loan repayment
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Hi sorry that's what I meant - they add it to the balance of the loan. But hard then to work out the equivalent APR!
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By cjmillsnun 25th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    It’s fine as long as you don’t rack up more debt once you’ve shuffled this over.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 27th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    Low rate credit cards instead of a loan:
    https://www.uswitch.com/credit-cards/low-apr-credit-cards/

Are you eligible for any 0% balance transfer cards with no fees?
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?balance-transfer
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    Thanks Candyapple. I'm not eligible for good credit card deals at the moment but I have decided to hold off on the loan and then apply for 0%card in early 2018.

I decided the loan isn't quite right for me.
    DFW - goal December 2019

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin