Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • citag21
    • By citag21 25th Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    citag21
    Stamp Duty Incentives
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    Stamp Duty Incentives 25th Nov 17 at 12:51 PM
    I have recently bought a new build with Barratts; on application we were offered an incentive that they pay our Stamp Duty on completion.
    But with the new budget announcement they are now refusing to adhere or offer a new incentive; even though their website states, and I quote, "The Barratts site specifically states, and I quote, “Offer is to pay a sum equivalent to the purchaser’s stamp duty up to a maximum of 4% of the purchase price of your new Barratt home.”
    I went to my solicitors and they said they couldn't answer.
    Thanks, M
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 27th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 15,758 Posts
    • 14,053 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I would expect a better level of service and commitment from an enterprise like Barratts.
    Originally posted by citag21
    <raises eyebrows>
    They are a large, by-the-numbers housebuilder. Realistic expectations include a reasonably-built property that meets building regs and looks a bit like the picture in the brochure. Not much more...

They are not philanthropists...

SD is to be paid by the owner of the property and not the seller; this is why they specify in the T+C's of their offer:“Offer is to pay a sum equivalent to the purchaser’s stamp duty up to a maximum of 4% of the purchase price of your new Barratt home".
    Originally posted by citag21
    That's just some careful wording to prevent people forgetting to do the paperwork then whinging they thought Barrett would do it.. It does not mean they cannot "pay the SDLT".

I went back and politely asked the builder if they could put the money towards other things as a good will gesture, they came back and said they were happy to do that.
    Originally posted by michaelm67
    Good for you. I'm very happy for you that your particular builder decided to make that goodwill gesture. It doesn't mean every builder will, of course, nor that they are under any kind of obligation. The wording of the OP's Ts & Cs is clear that they are not, and if the OP took the builder to court, the builder would win.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 27th Nov 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    There's so much negativity here, some people spend WAY too much time on here.

I'm in the same position as you OP, exchanged contracts but not yet completed. The Builder's incentive was to pay stamp duty, relief was given last Wednesday which was great.

I come on to this forum and the same people say the same things, you're no worse off, some people want it all, how can you expect money back etc.

I went back and politely asked the builder if they could put the money towards other things as a good will gesture, they came back and said they were happy to do that. So I have saved myself a significant amount of money just by asking, yet if I was to take everything that was on here as gospel, all the relief would be doing is saving the builders money, not the intention!
    Originally posted by michaelm67
    What do you think is so "positive" about your post? They have already politely asked the builder, and their builder said no. What have you said there that's possibly going to help them?
    • emilya93
    • By emilya93 30th Nov 17, 12:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    emilya93
    Same issue with Barratts
    Hi,
    I am currently in exactly the same position as you. The money that Barrats will save from the changes announced in the budget will literally be straight profit. This is money that could have gone to the government and be put to much better use.
    The BBC Radio 4 Program "You and Yours" discussed this exact issue, and on the program their journalist confirms that Barrats have agreed to pass on all savings to the buyers, t This is available on iplayer and is mentioned within the first 10 mins,
    I have challenged this with Barratts but they say that this is incorrect, which means somebody at Barrats has lied to the press.
    • Rmac1982
    • By Rmac1982 1st Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Rmac1982
    I’d check again. Our builder originally refused point blank to pass on any of the SD savings to us however....... just had a voicemail to say that the balance will be given to us in cash.

There’s a lot of people genuinely asking for advice and a lot of negative responses. It’s obviously not such a stupid thing to suggest is it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

5,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin