Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 24th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 560Posts
    • 4,953Thanks
    The Money Diet
    • 24th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    The Money Diet 24th Nov 17 at 9:17 PM
    So, I did have a thread but I've not updated it for a long time and things have now changed somewhat! So, I thought it best to start again. Fresh start, and all that jazz!

A little about me: Hi I'm Laura

So, my last diary was mainly about saving for my wedding. Whilst we saved a good amount in a year, The diary went a little to the way side. However, as of bonfire night, I'm now a married woman!

The last year has resulted in me and Mr Lauralozzle saving for our wedding. I now realise how hard saving is!! It left with without much on anything for a year. Even with all of our hard saving, things ended up costing a little more than we had initially budgeted for and has left us in a little debt. This is partly down to my unrealistic budget, but also because we moved the wedding forward by a year as my grandad was ill and we didn't think he'd make November 2018. Luckily, we were very lucky with the gifts we received and the leftover debt is definitely a manageable amount, but I'd like it to be cleared as soon as possible so we can focus on decorating/renovating our house once our honeymoon is over.

We've lived in our house for nearly two years now (two years in March 2018). The plan was initially to do a room a year, as the house, although liveable, is terribly dated. Think artex on every wall and you'll get the picture. The wedding meant the house went on the back burner and the only rooms we have (partially) decorated are the living room/dining room. They are not finished though. I'd like for us to get in the position next year to focus on finally sorting out the house, even if that is just plan of what room we tackle next and starting to save towards it.

I'll know the true state of our finances better come pay day (end of the month) and exactly where we are. At the moment everything looks very tight but November has been unusually expensive with the wedding and our little mini-moon to Bruges which cost more than we had expected.

In preparation I have managed to get our mortgage payments down now from £504 to £398 which will start in a January 2018. That extra £100 will help considerably with clearing extra debt and saving! I've moved our fixed term mortgage at 3.99% to a new fixed term of 2 years at 2.79% - the mortgage length remains the same, I'm assuming we've moved down into the next LTV bracket although I'm not 100% sure as I just did it online through Santander (who we have our mortgage with). The term is exactly the same. We are both very happy at the money we will be saving in our mortgage payments alone. One day, we will try and make overpayments but I don't see that happening for a while, to be honest.

So... a brief statement of our affairs. I'm aware this is not a proper, full SOA.

My wage - £1,200
    Mr wage - £1,300
    Total = £2,500

We both put £850 each into the joint account every month. This covers the following:

Mortgage - £392 (Since January 2018)
    Council Tax - £129 (over ten months)
    Water rates - £40
    Gas/electric- £72
    House phone/broadband/sky - £42.99
    TV licence - £12.12
    My car - £187
    His car - £151
    Wedding Rings - £91 (this ends in July - on 0% finance deal)
    Vet/dog - £40 - covers dogs daily tablets, flea stuff, 6 monthly vet check-up
    My phone - £35
    His phone - £36 - we are both in contracts
    Food shopping - £275 - I know we can get this down! Includes alcohol

I have a spreadsheet all set up for this so I can keep track of each spend!

The money we have left in our accounts will cover our personal petrol, personal spends etc... pocket money I suppose. I have a MBNA credit card I pay off alone (0%)
    Mr Lauralozzle has car insurance and tax monthly that he pays for out of his own account. I put all mine on 0% credit card that I'm paying off alone - £25 min payment - will start overpaying an extra £25 from pay-day.

We have both been saving £200 a month from our leftover personal money for the wedding - our plan is to hit the following Credit Cards with this now, although Mr doesn't want to put away £200 anymore - it left us quite tight and we both need some new clothes as all Of ours have holes/don't fit properly anymore!! I currently own two pairs of jeans and most of my tops have holes in through years of wear and tear!!! A good rummage through is required at some point.

So - this is the plan for now.

Santander Credit Card 1 - £2,256.06 0% for 24 months (his) (min payment £22.56)
    Santander Credit Card 2 - £787.60 (mine) (min payment £7.87) 0% 25 month
    MBNA - £195 - (mine) (min payment £25) 0% needs clearing by May

I will over pay MBNA by £25 each month. That should then be cleared by May easily.
    We wil overpay Santander by £100-£150 a month (together - not each) - starting in January as we need to sort out Christmas.
    Min pay Santander Credit Card 2 until credit card 1 is paid off and then start on this one.

We also need to save about £500 for spending money for our honeymoon in May - we're off to Sorrento for 2 weeks. £575 is already in the kitty for this. I'm not sure exactly how much we'll need, but we're hoping that £1,000 (ish) will cover it. We want to enjoy or time there and take trips so we'll save as much as possible (at least £1,000). We're going half board so hopefully won't have to spend too much on food - just lunches really. I want it to be a holiday we remember so I don't want to scrimp when we are there, just be sensible about our spends (nothing too extravagant).

Current Debt/Savings Progress

MBNA: Gone
    Santander Credit Card 1: £1,951.50
    Santander Credit Card 2: £771.92
    Honeymoon Fund: £1,042.19

My mother is getting married abroad in September (provisional date). It will be on one of the Greek islands. When the date is set we will also have to save for that as I'm a bridesmaid. Thinking cheap self catering apartment for a week (at most!) at keep costs down. I'm hoping we can get away with stopping for four days but we will have to have a good look. Hopefully she gets it all booked soon so we know the particulars. It's difficult to assess how much this will cost until we have more information.

So, hurry up payday (last day of the month - Thursday) so we can get The ball rolling and start making progress.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Credit Card 1: £0.00 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £1,951.50 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £764.20 (0%) Car Finance: £7,491 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £110,794 (2.79% APR) | Emergency Fund: £69.68/£1000 | Honeymoon Fund: £1,042
Page 3
    • SnowBallBunny
    • By SnowBallBunny 1st Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Happy New Year Laura! Wishing you the very best.
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/£5603.88 Debit Card £5,000/£3767.78 (Debit Card includes Emergency Fund £1000) Credit Card 2 £1200/£832.53 Tax Bill £750/£0 Library Fine £90/£0 Accountancy Bill £720/£0 Cancelled Art Project Donation £15/£0
    Total £13,199/£10,204

A SnowballBunny, hopping my way to Financial Freedom.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 1st Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Happy New Year Laura! Wishing you the very best.
    Originally posted by SnowBallBunny
    Thank you Snowball. And a happy new year to you!
    Credit Card 1: £0.00 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £1,951.50 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £764.20 (0%) Car Finance: £7,491 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £110,794 (2.79% APR) | Emergency Fund: £69.68/£1000 | Honeymoon Fund: £1,042
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 1st Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    January 1st 2018

Happy New Year everyone.

So, I'm off to a cracking start! Bagged my first NSD. Christmas decorations are down, although the living room could do with a tidy. Will get on with that tomorrow I think after work (or before, if I get up early enough).

We've been outside in the garden chopping down some of the trees and sweeping the patio. I've used some fish (another yellow sticker bargain) from the freezer for dinner. Have turned it into a fish pie. Diet has been good today.

I have to get back into the swing of working tomorrow. I think I'm on queries tomorrow so will get to work early(ish). Not looking forward to it, it's been nice to have these two weeks off and getting back into the swing of it all again (early morning and late evenings) is something I'm not looking forward to. Will have to have a look at the work diary and have a look which days I can work from home and get them requested. I'd rather work from home and start early as I have the late afternoon to myself then.

Nothing much else to report apart from the fact that I'm ready for this new year. I'd like to get the credit card debt sorted - or at least pay off the highest credit card in full.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 2nd Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Tuesday 2nd January

First day back to work today. It went okay, even though I was dreading it immensely. Worked a little over my 7.24 hours so building up more flexi-time. Need to get it to 15 hours by the 12th January as I have two flexi days off on the 15th and 16th.

Today has not been a NSD as we forgot to get loo roll the other day when we went shopping and we are down to the last roll, so popped to Asda on the way home. Also picked up some YS bread, salad, meat for DH (for sandwiches) and he 'topped up' on Relentless as it was on offer (he drinks the stuff for band practice). Signature is updated.

I got home and changed straight into my pjs this evening. DH is cooking dinner and I'm looking forward to a nice evening relaxing on the sofa (I still haven't recovered from the early morning start).
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 3rd Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Wednesday 3rd January

I've had another NSD so I'm at 2/18. Really hoping I can make target this month so will have to be very strict. Had a good day at work, and I'm happy tomorrow is Thursday. I sometimes find that a four day week drags so I'm pretty pleased that the weekend is just around the corner.

I've checked the honeymoon fund today and spotted 5p interest! Every little helps! Signature is updated and I should get my £100+ paid in bonus during the month.

I've taken in lunch to work these past two days and will continue that endeavour throughout the month. I save so much money when I can be bothered to make my own lunch so that is a definite target this month.

I've also managed 10,000 steps everyday so far this month (all 3 days of it) so I will make it my mission to make sure I regularly meet that goal.

Had a lovely quick dinner tonight of hunters chicken, roast potatoes and veg. I've now used up some the leftover potatoes from Sunday and I am getting through the veg in the fridge.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 6th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Thursday 4th January

Thursday was not a NSD as I bought some more e-liquid. I did take my lunch to work though.

Friday 5th January

Friday was a bit of fail. No packed lunch to work as I woke up late, didn't make lunch the night before and was unprepared. Resulted in another spend day which is not ideal. A fairly spendy day, all things considered. DH wanted me to grab him a sausage cob from the new cafe next to work and I got a coffee, I then got lunch afterwards at Tesco.

It's the end of the week where everything gets on top of me. I am tired and just cannot be bothered to do anything. I think for Thursday/Fridays I will have to make sure I have batch cooked something for dinner so it is easier for me. We need to go shopping this weekend so I will make sure we have some bits I can batch cook and pop in the freezer for these sort of days.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 6th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Saturday 6th January

Today I have managed a NSD so I'm at 3/18. I've had a really quiet day which has been nice. Must plan to try and do something tomorrow though as it will feel like I've wasted the whole weekend otherwise.

Mortgage payment has gone out for the month so I've updated my signature. I will be happy when it ops down to the next thousand pound bracket but it seems to take an age to get there. Can't start thinking about you overpayments yet though, as so much needs to be done to the house. It would be pointless as we need to save to get the house sorted.

I think I'll have a hot both tonight before I go to bed, that will nicely top off my relaxation day.

I've also lost half a pound this week, which although it doesn't sound like much, is pretty good going given the alcohol I drank on New Years and the chocolate I've been eating! Will be expecting a much bigger loss next week though.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 7th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Sunday 7th January

Today has been a spendy day as we went food shopping this afternoon.

To be honest, it's a little alarming that most of my budget has disappeared already. Needed a good shop though as we had nothing in the fridge and I'd Pretty much reduced the freezer stocks to nothing.

Big shop at Aldi Today - spent £50.78 but fridge is full. £10 of that was on a bay tree and little rosemary tree. We do tend to get through a lot of the stuff and I decided buying that would work out much cheaper in the long run although it was quite a hefty expense out of the budget. My task is to make sure they don't die! Edit: they died!

Spent £16.82 in Home Bargains - on mainly household stuff (oven cleaner, carpet cleaner, toothpaste, mouthwash and the like.)

£11.38 in Asda - on not very much. DH impulse buys as he decided he wanted canned soup (for emergencies). They were the big eat ones. He wanted them, I imagine, for lunches as I don't make soup all the time. They should last a while though. We also got some sausages for today's dinner.

Fridge is looking very full now though, which is good.

Budget now at £189.15/£275

Our next shops have to be small. Or, the entertainment budget will have to go to make up any shortfall. It's important that the books balance this month, and there is no reason why we can't hit target as our budget is very generous.

I've decided I must get back into Menu planning for the week ahead though, so I've come up with this.

Sunday - sausage, mashed potatoes, veg, Yorkshire pudding and gravy.
    Monday - chicken fajitas
    Tuesday - spaghetti bolognese
    Wednesday - chicken curry
    Thursday - pie, mash and veg with gravy
    Friday - spaghetti carbonara
    Saturday - birthday meal (eating out)

I am going to have to make sure Monday - Friday are NSD to help everything sort itself out, we have enough in, and if I make sure I have lunches prepped it is definitely doable.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Monday 8th January

Bagged a NSD and took lunch to work.

I then ate dinner and fell asleep so nothing much to report there.

Tuesday 9th January

Bagged another NSD. I'm now at 5/18.

I got a reward and recognition gift today at work. £25. I've asked for £20 to be next vouchers (I'll then have £70) and £5 Amazon which I'll use for gifts and such. Chuffed with that.

Work today was good, and after all the sleep from yesterday I don't feel as exhausted today. Made Quorn spaghetti bolognese for dinner and will make up some pasta so that can be lunch for tomorrow as well as I have plenty leftover. Might see how much leftovers I'll have after that, I might bulk the remainder out with a can of baked beans and that'll be base for a cottage pie. I have pie and mash for one of my meals this week so will make too much mash on purpose and then freeze leftovers and then when I'm not feeling particularly inventive that's a meal for next week sorted! The other option would be swap spaghetti carbonara for cottage pie instead and move that to next week. I am at present undecided. Menus have to be flexible so we will see.

Minimum payment on Credit Card number 3 went out today so I will update that later.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 11-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 10th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Make sure you use the carpet and oven cleaner, or it was a pointless purchase!
    End Sep 2016 End Feb 2018
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£2050.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 £666.70 (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £2716.74 Original DFD May 2019.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 10th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Haha thanks zippy

Luckily the carpet cleaner is more of a carpet freshener. Used every weekend when I blitz the living room. Iím paranoid about the smell of dog and would rather it smell like Thai orchard (or whatever scent it is!).

The oven needs desperately cleaning... itís gross... but Iím less enthusiastic about that endeavour!!!

Wednesday 10th January

Today was spendy! Very spendy. Trip to the vets was £116 which was more than I had budgeted for. Old dog, insurance wouldnít cover it as pre-existing condition heís had since he was about 2. Have 100 days of tablets though so no trip to the vet for another three months.

That is basically all of the emergency fund plus allocated dog spend this month. Luckily he has lots of food left.

May have to amend Febs budget to increase the amount going into his Ďpotí. I have also applied for another savings account to his pot separate (itís accounted for in monthly budget but I think putting money elsewhere will help me keep a better eye on it).

I found out my supervisor is moving today - not sure when, but it will leave a position open on a temporary responsibility allowance (10% more than current wage) that I think I will apply for. She has been suggesting that I apply for roles the next band up, and a few supervisors today asked if I was going to apply so Iíll give it a go. Whatís the worse that could happen? They say no and I keep my job? Iíve worked really hard the past year and it has been noticed, so Iím hoping Iíd have a fairly decent shot (no way guaranteed though, as there are plenty of capable people).

Hoping tomorrow and Friday will be spend free days though.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 31st Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    31st January 2018

I have been very quiet but still plodding along.

I had a surprise trip for my 30th birthday, DH whisked me away to Edinburgh for the weekend so it has been a spendy month. We used some of the holiday fund to help pay for food/treats and it was nice to have that money there to spend and not worry.

I went over my shopping budget by £30. In the grand scheme of things, I do not think that is too bad and the float (emergency fund) has managed to end up about £3.00 better off!

Today is pay day and I have allocated all my money out and updated my signature. The wedding fund is looking healthy too. I havealso started saving some of my money and at the moment I have £140 saved. I do not want to dip into this if I can help it.

February will be (hopefully) a cheap month, it should be possible as it is the shortest month so we will not have to stretch our money so much.

I have even allocated myself £20 spending money a week. :
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 31-01-2018 at 7:23 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 2nd Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    February 2nd 2018

Yesterday was a very small spend day. Today has been a NSD so I am pretty pleased with myself!

MBNA (Credit Card number one) has had its overpayment and it now sits at £45. That will be cleared next month and then I will move to Credit Card no. 3 (number 2 is currently getting largest overpayment).

I have had a nice day today - fairly relaxed as I working from home. I have got a lot of work done which I am pretty pleased about too. I am working from home on a Monday too so that should be another NSD in the bag.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 03-02-2018 at 1:42 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 3rd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    February 3rd 2018

Credit card no.2 is now updated. The balance is higher than I would have liked at this stage but we had some trouble moving the direct debit so hopefully it will start coming down soon. It ideally wants to be under the £2,000 mark next month.

I have had a conversation with DH today after I was worried about a possible damp problem in the kitchen. We have discovered some kind of leak/condensation/water problem in the bathroom as the flooring is bubbling around the toilet and radiator. This needs looking at and the bathroom needs replacing. I spotted some bubbling artex in the kitchen (directly underneath toilet from upstairs) on the wall, and was worried the bathroom problem was causing this. We poked at the bubble but the plaster underneath appears to be dry so not sure what is causing the bubbling there.

We have decided the sensible option is to take out a home improvement loan once the wedding Rings/Credit Card no.2 is paid off and make sure it the monthly repayments equal what we are paying at for these two expenses which is affordable. That will probably be next year (Rings will be paid off in June this month) and we will attack credit card 2 with the ring money until the card is paid off.

From March payday I will attack credit card no.3 with the money I was spending on credit card no.1 as that will be paid off then.

The house is slowly falling apart and by the time we have saved enough money to fix it, it will be ten years away. It needs sorting soon, especially as we plan to have children within the next five years. If it is not done by then, it will never get done!

Main rooms/jobs to target are:

- bathroom, including sorting the floor, replastering, new tiles and new bathroom suite.
    - kitchen, including removing artex, replastering, new units (same layout to keep costs down), new tiles on floor/splashback tiles.
    - new boiler - removing old water tank heating system and replacing with energy efficient system. Probably com i boiler to create more space in back bedroom.

We are thinking a loan of £20,000 to cover this. If there is any left, then removing artex from hallway and replastering, new carpet up the stairs and landing.

I am feeling positive about this, like we are actually going to get somewhere in the next year! I love a plan.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    February 11th 2018

NSD are looking good. Budget is looking good too so I'm happy about that.

I don't have much to report this week to be honest, it's very much been work work work. I have now made up for lost time in my flexi at work so I'm trying to build some hours for a couple of days off in April.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 10th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    10th March 2018
    Today I have hit a milestone! I have made an overpayment on Credit Card no. 1 and now that credit card is gone!

This leaves credit card no. 2 and no. 3 to clear! Credit card no.2 is now below £2,000 (just) - it took a little longer than I had anticipated to get to this point as we had some issues with the direct debit but that appears to be all sorted now. So, the balance should start dropping nicely. Small steps but we are certainly heading in the right direction.
    From next month I'll start making £50 overpayments on Credit Card no. 3 as I want that gone by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 10-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 12th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Monday 12th March

I had a good day yesterday. Went to see my mother, then visited my grandparents. My grandad is in hospital at the moment but hopefully he'll be able to leave this week!

Work was okay today - nothing new to report, just the daily slog. I've had a really relaxing evening though, had a bath, finished my book and now starting on the next in the series. My aim is to finish the new book by the end of the month.

Today was spendy - we don't have much for lunches as we need to go shopping so ended up eating out. Also had a hankering for chocolate and ate too much of it. I've added it all to my app but let's just say I've eaten three days worth of points in a day.

My Fitbit has also broken! It's past it's warranty as well! Literally just snapped. So, I've found my very old one and I will charge that up. I really want to hit my 10,000 steps a day this week. It's old and gritty but better than nothing.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Congratulations on paying off CC1
    Old Debts Starting Balance £1972 / Current £1094 CC Starting Balance £668 / Current £933
    Overdraft Starting Balance £534 / Current £534 SO & Nan Loan Starting Balance £1500 / Current £1257
    Total Starting £4674 vs Total Current £3818 (18% PAID)
    Sealed Pot £26.20 EF £0.00 Savings (Car) £325.00 Mixed Savings Pots £0.00
    • Afternoonnapper
    • By Afternoonnapper 14th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Try contacting Fitbit as they might be able to help or as least might give you a discount on a new one.Always worth a try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,799Posts Today

6,559Users online

Martin's Twitter